Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Roethlisberger

Grade Anything

Ender

Inglourious Basterds: quite possibly the finest film in all of human history.

Mara

The Time Traveler's Wife: B+

I thought about giving it a B, but I realized that it actually did a fair job of adapting the novel. A few details were missing, yes.. and a few other areas could have been expanded on instead of just briefly inserting, i.e. why Henry likes/needs to run, Dr Kendrick, etc. And if they had made the movie longer, it might have been less confusing for people with the whole not sure what time period it was (especially for people who haven't read the book). My sister said she was a little confused at times.

But I do think it hits all the main important points from the novel and I give it kudos for that. Well worth seeing, whether or not you've read the book. It's an enjoyable film, even if not quite long enough, or it moves a bit fast at times.

James the Defender

New Jersey's Hunter Education system (excepting Bow): D-

One has a booklet to read with a workbook in the back with the answers on a DVD and in the book. You go to the field test in which not everyone has hands-on application of how to cross a fence with a firearm/bow, a zone of fire line test in which, again, not everyone has a hands-on experience, then to pass shotgun one has to demonstrate that one can handle the firearm correctly (i.e. point the muzzle in a safe direction) and you shoot at skeet (flying clay discs) that they launch and one is not required to hit any. To pass the muzzleloader portion, one must load and fire the firearm. Then, one must take a written exam on which one must score 80% and above on a 40 question test for basic education, and 20 ques. for shotgun, muzzleloader, and bow. The questions are common sense for the most part. There is little hands on education and mostly lecture. It requires one to have a good mentor at home and in the woods and some don't have that. On the field test, they're mostly looking for safety. Which is good and is why this did not get an F.

NJ's Hunter education for bow: C. All of the above ring true excepting that one MUST put 3 out of 5 arrows in the vital area of a 3-D deer target placed 15 yards away. Keep in mind, however, that the target area is almost 12" in diameter.

They changed the regulations from when I took my shotgun certification. I had a 3-hour lecture, a written exam, and a field test in which everyone had hands on exp. over three days in a week. The new one is all in one day.

I took my bow and muzzleloader this past Sat. and Caity took her shotgun. We passed. It was too easy...though I saw someone fail the bow portion...how: I don't know...

Uncle Du

Inglourious Basterds: quite possibly the finest film in all of human history.

I am SO glad you said this, because I was really wondering, and it seems you and I tend to have the same taste in movies. God I have GOT to see this!!!

Ender

You really do. It's easily his second-best film, and the soundtrack is fantastic.

Uncle Du

Sweet. Well, I get paid tomorrow, so I'm pretty sure I can convince the wife to let me spend 5 bucks on seeing it.

Mara

Bright Star

A-

A beautiful but sadly tragic love story between the poet John Keats and Fanny Brawne. I enjoyed this film a lot. It's completely different than the generic (and usually stupid) 'romcom.' Because, well, it's not all that comedic, for one. Plus, it's just a lot more raw and more focused on the love between the two of them than any silly chick flick does.

I do deduct half a grade point because the ending seems a bit rushed, in my opinion. Even though it's already 2 hours long, I think it could have stood a bit more just to flesh the last bit of the movie about a bit more.

But overall it's a fantastic film.

I would totally recommend this for anyone; even non-poetry lovers will be able to appreciate this story.

Made me want to go look in my room to see if I have any Keats, haha.

James the Defender

El Dorado 15 Year Special Reserve Rum: A+

It's produced in Guyana and it is quite simply the best liquor I've ever tasted.

Ender

Twinings' Christmas Blend Tea: A

It's all cinnamony and cozy-fying!

Ayingel

an absolutely fabulous movie. being the first movie i've seen in 3D, i have a feeling i'll be sorely disappointed with any other 3D movie i see. saw it with a friend who was going for her second time (first time in 3D for her as well) and she said it was even better in 3D. it is a very, very intense movie, with things being thrown at you from all directions. there were times i needed to tell myself to take a step back and remember that the movie isn't real so i could calm down...there is a lot of emotion in several parts in the film, and i found myself easily putting myself into the scene and feeling and seeing what the characters were seeing. james cameron was able to create a remarkable world with this movie, and i could easily see why it took so long to become a masterpiece. i am very pleased that he waited for the movie making technology to catch up so that it wouldn't be an entirely cg movie. it is definitely a movie that is enhanced by viewing it in 3D; you become completely immersed in Pandora and all of its glory. small things like

seeing the ash from hometree fly in front of your face

and seeing bugs flit across the screen really make you feel like you're there. the message is a bit predictable, but it is hard to find a great movie that doesn't have something like that holding it together.

James the Defender

Samuel Adam's Imperial Series Imperial Stout: B+

It's not the best stout I've had. Stone's Imperial Russian Stout is better and so is Samuel Smith's Imperial Stout. Sam Adam's is heavy on the anise flavor. It has a nice coffee/chocolate finish and it's heavy enough on the palate, but it's pricey. Smith's is cheaper and better tasting.

Mara

George Lucas's Blockbusting: A Decade-by-Decade Survey of Timeless Movies Including Untold Secrets of Their Financial and Cultural Success - Alan Ben Bock and Lucy Autrey Wilson

A+

I would totally recommend this book to any movie fan.

James the Defender

Stone Brewing Company Ruination IPA: A

Heavy on the hops and medium-dry. The bitterness sticks to the back of the throat. Viva la Hops!

Ayingel

Spin Pins: B+

they work pretty well. for some of the suggested styles, it seems like you need either really thick or really long hair (mine isn't super thick, but the length is almost there). it took me about ten minutes of playing with the pins to figure out how to get a bun that was really tight and was going to last me through work. the bun stayed in for about 6.5 hours, which was perfect since by the time it started to fall out, i was done taking tables and could let my hair down. they're handy in a pinch when you can't find a ponytail holder...but they don't necessarily do the work of however many pins conair says they do in the commercial...i don't know anyone who has used that many bobby pins for a plain bun. there is a double bun style that i want to try in the booklet that came with the pins, so i'll give that a whirl and see how it comes out.

Mara

LOST season finale: A++

I can't believe it's actually over, but the finale was awesome and a fitting end to it all.

James the Defender

I tried to watch the first couple episodes and I could see why it was called Lost...'cause that's what I was...

Mara

That's why it was awesome. Each episode didn't wrap up nice and tightly like most TV shows. :p

James the Defender

I just saw Avatar.

I give it an A-

I just saw it On Demand. Very interesting. Special effects were incredible--of course--and the world that was created was special. Very Native American with an alien feel. Until the final battle--really until the planet intervened--I only gave it a B, at most. The plot is too overplayed. Instead of Jake telling the Na'vi, "The Sky People are coming," he could've said, "The English are coming!" and the meaning would've gotten across very well. I cannot stress enough how OVERPLAYED the plot is. Had it ended with the USA winning and the Na'vi being destroyed or detained, I'd've given it a C.

I give it an A- because of the incredible hard work that went into it and the acting--which was good. The plot twist with Ewah intervening bumped it up a notch. It was, however, just a tad too long. Some stuff was truly unnecessary--e.g. how long Jake's encounter was with the first creature, the one Neytiri ends up riding against the Colonel--who was an epic villain. It was too drawn out. I understand it was essential to the plot for him to get lost, but it could've been done quicker.

At any rate, the concept of the world was incredible. Their life and their skills overshadow the overdone plot. Maybe it's because I'm a historian, maybe because I'm too critical of Hollywood, but I can't see myself giving this movie the props everyone thinks it deserves. Even after writing this and reading my review, I am completely tempted to trash it with the rating... However...the way the final battle made my heart race and how I didn't want to stop watching tell my mind that it deserves the rating I'm giving it...regardless of how I want to rate it now.

And, btw... http://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=http://andyoflove.files.wordpress.com/2010/01/avatar-pocahontas-500x486.jpg&imgrefurl=http://andyoflove.wordpress.com/2010/01/11/avatar-pocahontas-haha-the-simliarities-d/&usg=__QIitsn5pY7fxOlc76WKXmy-f5K4=&h=486&w=500&sz=71&hl=en&start=1&sig2=83aTf9eQxlUjgZ12hpIgWQ&um=1&itbs=1&tbnid=_vulwkjTXOVODM:&tbnh=126&tbnw=130&prev=/images%3Fq%3Davatar%2Bpocahontas%26um%3D1%26hl%3Den%26safe%3Doff%26sa%3DX%26tbs%3Disch:1&ei=u8wGTIf3OsOB8gbD5antCg

Edited by James the Defender

Bad furday

Hazlitt Vineyards' Red Cat

A-

This red wine has a light, fruit like flavor, that intensifies the more one drinks it. It's also very sly. The first few sips, one doesn't really taste the alcohol, only the flavor, and then half the glass is gone and

you realise, "This is some pretty strong wine!"

Radioactive Isotope

Despicable Me: A

Such a cute movie. Go see it. Nao.

Pandora

The Sorcerer's Apprentice: A. It's funny, cute, and a bit campy. But I like campy.

Radioactive Isotope

I've been meaning to review this for awhile now.

Darker than Black: A++

Yes, this is anime. And a particularly mind screwy one at that. The basic premise is certain beings called Contractors have been granted special powers due to the presence of the mysterious Hell's Gate. However, power comes with a price and each Contractor has his or her own special renumeration. Each is also designated with a Messier star number. Our story follows the exploits of BK201, codename Hei. Hei has...issues. Which is odd since Contractors aren't supposed to have human emotions. They are supposed to be purely rational beings. Hei is also awesome. Anyone who earns the fan nickname "Chinese Electric Batman" has to be the epitome of awesome. Watch the show to see why. Plenty of eye candy for everyone as well.

Pandora

Season of the Witch. I give it an A for story, A- for acting, and an A++++ for freaky effects usage.

Nicolas Cage should REALLY do more foreign films. While still not FANTASTIC, it's a little easier the usual to forget that you're watching a Nic Cage movie. I am conflicted on one point: all the characters with speaking parts are English, but no one even bothers faking an English accent, BUT it would be kind of like watching a movie set in ancient Rome where everyone has a British accent... with the time period they would have been speaking either Latin or Old English. The whole thing is extremely dark, both in lighting and in story. They had a hard time editing it down to get an R rating, so if anyone gets their hands on a European release, I WANT it.

Ana

That's an... interesting stance, given all the reviews I'd read hated it. It has a whole 1% rating on Rotten Tomatoes. :???:

Pandora

It's an interesting take on the Bubonic Plague. It is entirely rooted in old Christian legends of demonology.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.