Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Roethlisberger

Grade Anything

Drake

On the contrary, I thought the last one to be one of the best of the series.

And it was Invincible. :p

Mara

Gifted Hands: the Ben Carson Story

B+

I wasn't planning on watching this over the weekend, but it was one, and so we watched it. And I have to say, despite any preconceptions I may have had, it was a pretty decent movie.

Yeah, there were some flaws, but I respect why there were things that were left out and why only certain parts of his life were shown.

Dr Ben Carson was the first doctor to successfully separate Siamese twins connected at the brain. Previously, doctors would have to ask the parents which twin they wanted to keep, because separation would always kill one of them, due to all the blood loss of the process.

But Dr Carson in 1987 figured out a way to do it and save both twins. Really an amazing story.

The first half of the movie, though, is all about his childhood, and I think it really kind of skipped around a lot, missing some things, especially toward his college years and above. I know they had to get to the main story: the Siamese twins, but a lot of things weren't explained.

Like, how he got that ginormous house. :p

Anyway, despite those flaws, it's still worth seeing. If TNT replays it again (and if I know TNT, they will), I would definitely check it out. Cuba Gooding Jr. gives a great performance as Dr Carson.

James the Defender

On the contrary, I thought the last one to be one of the best of the series.

And it was Invincible. :p

Invicible, that's it. Thank you. Even though you disagreed. :p :)

Mara

Disney's Earth

A

The only reason I didn't upgrade this amazing film to A+ is because of all the silly global warming propaganda. :p

Anyway, this film was spectacular to watch on the big screen. I know a lot of the footage is the same stuff taken from the Planet Earth miniseries, but I expected it because a lot of the same people worked on both of these. However, some of this footage HAS to be seen big and up close like this. A regular TV set just doesn't do justice to the amazing scenes from our amazing planet.

Plus, seeing the great white shark on the big screen ROCKS. :D

And another bonus is that James Earl Jones is the narrator. How can you say no to him?

In conclusion, highly recommended this beautiful film. :)

I cannot wait to see the next one in the series, Oceans, which comes out next year.

Edited by Mara

Drake

The word propaganda has such a negative connotation. Global warming is a very real and drastic concern for everyone. I would not think of its warning as "silly".

On that note, the movie was excellent. A+ from me.

Edited by Drake

James the Defender

The film Die Bluthochzeit (The Wedding Party)

A-

I was pleased that for all the would-be violence no one died. It was a charming little story about a chef who takes a bride and her mother-in-law hostage after the groom's father storms out with the rest of the wedding party and says he will not pay the large bill. I wasn't thrilled about the sex scene, which I skipped. It was a comedy and quite refreshing compared to the rest of the movies I had to watch for that particular class.

German with English subtitles, running time 92 mins., not rated. Some language, sexual references, and blood.

Edited by James the Defender

Uncle Du

Wolverine

Grade: A

Not an A+, more because I can never give any comic movie that grade because it will never be exactly like the comic. That and no matter how awesome Hugh Jackman is as Wolverine, they never let him be violent enough for my taste...not that there isn't plenty of that, trust me. They never really let him be the homicidal maniac that he became in the Weapon X program.

I digress though. This movie is awesome, and I believe that that everyone here will like it. Especially if my wife did. ;)

Oh, and stick around for after the credits...it's a Marvel movie so you know that there's something.

And I'm kinda confused, cause obviously Ryan Reynolds plays Wade Wilson, who is apparently killed by Victor at some point we don't see. At the end of the movie, when Logan fights Weapon XI (yea, kinda cheesey I think), Weapon XI is actually Dead Pool. Now, in the movie, you're lead to believe that this is Wade, altered by Stryker in the program. But Dead Pool is actually played by someone else at the very end. I dunno, maybe I'm just being nit-picky. This also kinda goes into the reason that I can't give it an A+, cause while this is kinda like how Dead Pool came about, he definitely has WAY too many powers here at the end of this movie. Just sayin.

:p

Edited by Du

Tsl

The word propaganda has such a negative connotation. Global warming is a very real and drastic concern for everyone. I would not think of its warning as "silly".

On that note, the movie was excellent. A+ from me.

*is not concerned* :p

I think I'm going to boycott that movie due to the propaganda.

I do however want to see Wolverine. I was afraid it was going to suck, since I really didn't care for the last X-men movie... But I've heard good things so far.

Drake

@Du

Stryker told Logan that Wade had died and, in a sense, that was true. The whole Weapon XI thing really ticks me off because it makes it hard for there to be a Deadpool spinoff like Ryan Reynolds wants. Although...Deadpool has survived decapitations before...

Uncle Du

So you've seen it then, right?

Drake

Apparently I've seen only one of the post-credit endings. They have two. I did not see the good one. :mad:

Uncle Du

Well I'm going to assume that you know what's in it....if not, lemme know and I'll tell ya.

All I can say is, they better have a spin-off.

Drake

I watched a bootleg of it on Youtube. Terrible quality and some jackass talking through it but I got the idea. Sadly my enthusiasm was muted by the knowledge that I had been ripped off.

Uncle Du

Ripped off cause of the crappy copy, or because you didn't like it?

Drake

Because they should have played the new ending in the theatre.

Uncle Du

I'm glad we got this ironed out. ;) :p

Andy

it was Invincible. :p

Invicible, that's it.

No, Invincible. :p

James the Defender

Bite me :p :p

Mara

Apparently I've seen only one of the post-credit endings. They have two. I did not see the good one. :mad:

Damn it, me too.... I thought something was going on. After we left, I heard something that sounded more than just the soundtrack playing. Argh.

Oh, and I give Wolverine an A. :D

Edited by Mara

Tsl

Alright! I saw Wolverine on Sunday. It gets a B from me. Good. Not stupendously glorious or anything.

Two endings, eh? I heard some people who must've seen in before muttering "That's not the one I saw last time!" Mystery solved?! I saw the one Du must be alluding to.

Tsl

Star Trek

B+

This was more Star Wars like than Star Trekish. Several scenes seemed to be ripped straight from SW! It also had some plot holes running around, hence the B+, but worth seeing. It really pissed off my dad who is a pretty big ST fan, so if you're a hard core fan, you might leave angry, lol.

Andy

Oh good, I didn't want to sound silly... I'm glad I'm not the only one who thought it felt a bit Star Wars. :D

Chickenman

I think if you're an extremely hardcore Trek fan, no matter how good the movie is, there's a good chance it'll dissapoint you.

That being said, I've heard that it's been well-received by Trekkies. So that just ruins my previous sentence right there. :p

Bad furday

There was a guy sitting next to us in the theatre, and we weren't even halfway through the movie when he gets up and walks past us.

He never came back! :p

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.