Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Pandora

Debate Table

Alexander

Laws of Nature state that man should not fly because he was not built with wings. I suggest we ban flying for it is unnatural.

Link

well there's a point...

Radioactive Isotope

that's called technology. :p

Link

wait hold on flying is natural otherwise birds wouldn't do it, nor would bugs

Tsl

Eh, let them get married. They aren't hurting anyone. And so what if it goes againt tradition? They're going to live together and stuff anyways, might as well let them share in the benefits of legal marriage.

And what's the point in making up separate terminology? It's all the same anyhow. I guess it makes some folks feel better. It's kinda discreminatory though, not letting gay folks say they're married. They have to say they are legally unionized?

Ugh...that just doesn't look as good taped to the back of the car, lol.

Just Legally Unionized!

Link

well i know that i was very happy with my partner. i loved her very much and cared a lot for her. we just didn't have what it took to marry or anything. i know the deep connection they can have and you're right. they don't hurt anyone. they hide it more than anything.

Alexander

wait hold on flying is natural otherwise birds wouldn't do it, nor would bugs

Read my post, I said "that man should not fly", flying should be banned for humans, because they were not designed for it. Technology should be banned because it's against the Laws of Nature. You're aware that marriage isn't natural either, do you? Neither is religion.

Edited by Alexander

Radioactive Isotope

oh hush you. :p

Andy

Technology should be banned because it's against the Laws of Nature.

What are you doing on the internet? :nutty: ;)

Alexander

Eh, let them get married. They aren't hurting anyone. And so what if it goes againt tradition? They're going to live together and stuff anyways, might as well let them share in the benefits of legal marriage.

And what's the point in making up separate terminology? It's all the same anyhow. I guess it makes some folks feel better. It's kinda discreminatory though, not letting gay folks say they're married. They have to say they are legally unionized?

Ugh...that just doesn't look as good taped to the back of the car, lol.

Just Legally Unionized!

Someone who agrees with me. :cool:

Alexander

Technology should be banned because it's against the Laws of Nature.

What are you doing on the internet? :nutty:;)

I'm not suggesting we ban unnatural things, am I? ;)

Radioactive Isotope

actually, you are. if you're saying technology should be banned cuz it's unnatural. and the Internet is a huge advance in technology. ;)

Alexander

Actually I'm using it as an example of the absurdity of banning things, in case you didn't catch the obvious. ;)

Link

whoa *sees red flag emerging*

Ana

Everyone deserves the chance to be happy, and if they want to marry their partner to be happy, they should have the right to do so. The government can call it whatever they want, but to the parties involved, it will be a marriage no different than that of a man and a woman. The commitments and vows are the same basic stuff.

Also, Mirax brought up common-law marriages... those would be a bit tricky to figure out. Some sort of proof might be required to show that the two were involved and not just roomies, plus not all states legally defend common-law marriages. I know California doesn't. But overall, I think that the same principles would apply.

One of my friends who graduated from HS last year got married in San Fran to his partner not too long ago. I was absolutely thrilled for them, because even though they're young, they're serious and commited to each other. I'm happy that they've found someone who makes them happy in life, and couldn't care less that they're both guys. "Love is blind," right? So what's gender matter, if you love them?

Alexander

Well said, Ana.

Ana

GI_Admiral

I agree 100%

Link

yes but even if they do marry and are issued a license, a judge does NOT have to acknowledge it and neither does a state. Keep that in mind. Texas can take someone from say HI where it's legal and not recognize it unless they follow the Full Faith and Credit Clause of the you.S. Constitution, but even then, that is more for crimes and felonies than marriage issues.

GI_Admiral

They have to follow Full faith and Credit...or the couple can go to courts...which will undoubtedly go to the Supreme Court. I agree...some of those texan moms need help.........

Link

supreme court won't help. congress banned it in a virtually unanimous vote.

Alexander

So much for that little thing called "freedom".

Link

It has nothing to do with Freedom. There's another side to the issue. Marriage is for the most part religious based. Religion states that homosexuality is immoral and you will burn for it. There again, the Constitution grants the freedom to and from religion, so these ceremonies they hold are not necessarily based on religion. There are ways around it, I just want you all to know that. Marriage is nothing but a piece of paper. POA's let you do the same thing that stupid little license does. You can hold joint accounts. They can't stop them from doing that.

Alexander

If it's mostly religious based then should atheists only be allowed marriage by civil unions as well?