Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

MsSolo

Random Rant and venting thread for general or specific rage

^Hal^

Although voter apathy is how extremism gets in, I'll probably vote nobody. Maybe lib dem. But that's still 3 years away, so I don't know what wll change betwwen now and then

MsSolo

Labor seems to have gone awfully... how shall I put this?... conservative on us. You watch Have I Got News For You, did you see the one ages ago when the Conservatives were tyring to find a new leader and they immediately nominated Blair as the most qualified? They're right as well.

For teh first time in over a hundred yrs we have a non-conservative representative for Surrey. I like that, if only because spending over 100 yrs voting for the smae party seems, well, dull. and stuck in the past.

^Hal^

yeah... Still. I've got nothing in paticular against the conservatives, except for how they are all so stuck up. Tony Blair has cocked so much up it's getting funny in my opinion.

sarah

Clinton, Bush, Gore.....again you guys are lucky that you don't haven't had these morons running your country.

Granted, Clinton is smart, but the guy hasn't made avery good impression moral-wise. Gore displays as much life as a block of wood, and Bush is frankly, from Hicksville and shows it quite well (along with Clinton and Gore). And I really don't want these men representing my country, let alone running it!

MsSolo

I loved the announcement that England offically had the worst public transport system in Europe a few months back. None of our MPs take public transpport, they all have Mercedes and BMWs, but we've beentrying to tell them how bad it is for years! If you read Bill Bryson's books it's quite funny, he describe britain as having one of teh best public transport systems. He travelled under the conservatives, of course. We may have suffered inflation, deflation etc under them, but at least our buses and trains worked. Probably jsut as well.

What's your stance on the Euro? *evil grin, rubbing hands together and cackling*

sarah

What's your stance on the Euro? *evil grin, rubbing hands together and cackling*

I don't know....I guess it's reasonable (to a point), but then again is it really necessary?

Andy

I think we should keep the Pound! BTW, have you seen those nice new ?5 notes, there pretty cool I think. It's about time we had some new ones, the old ones are barley recognisable.....

Anyway.... The next General Election will be my first, I dunno who I'll vote for... Hmmm....

And some of you may have heard of my district, it's called Wyre Forest, and our counsil is made up mostly of campaigners to have our only General Hospital re-opened (closing it was another one of Labours stupid ideas, of course they blamed it all on the Tories...)

Link

If I knew Euro conversions...

MsSolo

Hey Hal, listening to the news? German protests against Bush's overseas policy. He's now retreated to Russia post haste to sign that nuclear treaty (please let him sign it, please oh please!)

^Hal^

It won't mae any difference if he does. They're reducing their arsenals to 2000 each or something. It would take 30 or so to totally annihilate the planet

MsSolo

I know, but taking it one step at a time, maybe one day people will actually be able to trust each other. Then again, I'm just being naive.

^Hal^

maybe. It's a nice idea, but I can't see it happening. If people managed to abolish religion and country boundaries, it might work. But until then, we'll be a world at war.

MsSolo

Have you read Isaac Amsimov's robot stories? I don't think we need to abolish countries or religons, we just have to convince people that when it says 'thou shalt not kill' you're not aloud to add 'unless they're...' It's all chain reactions, a mistake made centuries ago can have two countries at war today. If only people had the good grace to apologise and the better grace to accept those apologies. ANd people stopped makiing mistakes with language (Japan didn't turn down America's offer of peace in WW2, they said maybe)

^Hal^

That's neverr going to work though. Violence and appetite for destruction are at the core of human nature.

MsSolo

Except they're not. Fear is the only cause. Tkae it back to the cave men:

Fear of starvation - fear of losing territory

Fear of losing mate etc - pride

Fear of competetion - racism (I have a my own theory involveing the Neandarthals)

Human nature, like that of most anmils, is based on fear and the urge to do whatever one must to survive and procreate. Funny, all the other animals with the smae urge don't seem to try and wipe each other out, hmm?

Master MJade

that's the problem w/ being intelligent. you become paraniod and so you try and get to the root of problem but the problem will always be there becuase you are the problem. there is no stopping it because untill someone find a way to get rid of fear there will alwaysbe fear and hence there will be fighting.

Link

*nervously peeks over shoulder* Did someone say something??? :lol:

Ana

Oh boy....

Link

I'm kidding. They were talking about Paranoia so I figured go with it

sarah

. If people managed to abolish religion and country boundaries, it might work.

It actaully has nothing to do with religion....it's all about land and the resources of that land. Look back at the wars that have gone on and you'll find that's what the under lying cause of fighting. The Palistineians and other Arabs don't like the Iseralies because the Iseralies have cut of the water supply to many people of Arab desent(sp). Besides we let the Jews come in and take over the country after WW2 out of pity. And while I'm on the topic of WW2, Hitler was upset about the German economy and used his racism as a tool for a scapegoat. Basically it boils down to jelousy(sp) over economy, land, and the resources that people need/want.

^Hal^

I know, although I'm partly right also. War is one of those things where everytihng has some influence. With Hitler, for example, he genuinely believed the Jews needed to be wiped out, because he believed they were in a plot to take over the world. This is because Karl Marx was a Jew, creato of communism which Hitler hated, so he thought the Jews controlled the communist nations, and also many of the leading figures in the US government were Jewish. He believed it was all part of one big plot that needed to be stopped.

MsSolo

The Middle East conflict may no longer be completely relgion based, but I'll bet that for most people it's the only reason they see for the fighting. It doesn't help that three or more major wolrd religons claim it as their holy land. Most of the main attacks in the news at hte mo are suicide bombers, and you can bet that they're not doing just to win a little more land for their govts, they're doing it because they believe that theirs is the one true religon and that land belongs to it, and any one who doesn't agree with tehm is an evil sinner. Same excuses as given for the crusades, the many Jewish purges throughout European history etc

^Hal^

That's pretty much what I've been saying all along

MsSolo

I know, and I agree (u may have guessed). But we get more posts this way, and it saves me the shame of losing an argument.

Did I say arguement? I meant discussion, of course!

^Hal^

yes. Occasionally heated discussion, but always discussion of some sort.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.