Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Princess

The Medical Frigate

Ayingel

random question for our folks who work in the health system. lately, i've been feeling sick after one drink (mike's hard lemonade, sprite and vodka, limon and coke...its happened after any one of these recently) and it's really bothering me. i've also noticed that i feel tipsy almost immediately (this is also a relatively new occurrence) and it doesn't seem to matter whether i've eaten first or if i'm eating at the same time. any thoughts on why this could be happening? i'm wondering if it isn't my liver/if i'm having issues metabolizing the alcohol? sounds like something i should go to the doctor for?

Princess

Does it happen at any other times? Do you have any problems with your blood sugar?

Ayingel

i don't think so = \

Princess

Cuz I was just thinking that alcohol has a lot of sugars in it. I would ask your doctor about the potential of type 2 diabetes

Ayingel

:( okay after doing a little looking, a couple of the symptoms fit...but i think i'm going to wait until i get my own insurance to get checked for it so that i can't be restricted with a "pre-existing" medical condition.

Edited by Ayingel

Princess

Good idea. There's tons of things it could be, metabolic syndrome comes to mind too. My advice is to watch waht you eat and drink and write down what you're doing when these symptoms happen

Ayingel

mmkay, will do :)

Zcetaa

I just got out of the hospital yesterday.

On Tuesday, I had to leave work because of extreme pains in my lower right abdomen. Naturally, everyone thought it was my appendix, so I immediately went to the hospital and that's what the doctor thought as well. So I had blood work done to check my white blood cell count and I had to give a urine sample. Then after a while, while waiting for the results, I had to drink a liquid with the contrast in it for a CT Scan. Then I had to wait 2.5 hours at least before I could get the CT Scan. I guess that was so the contrast could get into my system.

After I did the CT Scan, we had to wait for the results. Finally, the doctor came in and said my white blood cell count was normal, but that he saw some inflammation on the CT scan, which made him think it was early appendicitis. He said it was unusual that my white blood cell count was normal because if it's appendicitis they would be elevated.

So he said he wanted me to stay overnight for observation and then in the morning they would do more lab work and determine if it was my appendix. He also said there was the chance that I would be in no pain in the morning and I could go home.

Well, morning comes and I'm in a whole lot of pain. I get some Delaudin (spelling?) and I feel good... They do more lab work and the tests come back as normal white blood cell count.

When the doctor comes in, he really isn't sure of what is wrong with me. (great, huh?)

My husband, Benjamin, and my friend Karen are there visiting me and when the doctor comes in they ask him if it could be an ectopic pregnancy. (By the way, I was fixed in April 2009 (Tubal Ligation) which is important info about the situation) So after some prodding from Benjamin and Karen, he orders a pelvic ultrasound.

Meanwhile, while I'm waiting to get the ultrasound and during it, and until we got the results back, Benjamin is a nervous wreck.

So I go to get the ultrasound and turns out I was also being used as a learning aid for a student. (The actual doctor did the ultrasound. She was teaching the student what to do. And then after the ultrasound was finished, the doctor let her practice on me, just to get the hang of things.)

Anyway, I forgot to mention before the ultrasound, when the doctor came in he said I would be able to go home. Then when the ectopic pregnancy issue came up, he said after the ultrasound I could go home if there was no ectopic pregnancy; if there was, I would have to stay there for surgery.

Well, when the results came back, there was no ectopic pregnancy. However, because we ordered the pelvic ultrasound, we found out what was wrong with me. It turned out that I had a small ovarian cyst that ruptured.

I'm still in pain today, but mostly because there's trapped gas in there and it won't come out. I drank some coffee because I know that runs right through me and I was able to make a poopie and relieve some of the pain.

I have antibiotics that I have to take and also pain meds that I can take as needed. I'm going to try to avoid the pain meds as much as I can because the big side effect of it is constipation, which I have enough problems with.

So, that was my "fun" adventure.... Don't think I want to do it again...

Pandora

Goddness! I'm glad to hear you're okay, comparatively. What an ordeal! Feel better soon!!

Ayingel

o wow that sucks :( my aunt has had those and has gone through the removal procedures (which don't sound that fun either)...glad to know you're okay

Princess

It's been a fun past couple of weeks.

My heart problem has been diagnosed as Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome. Big words, but really easy to treat. I now have to drink a gatorade a day, stay hydrated, add salt to my diet and four times a week I have to exercise to get my heart rate up between 150 and 160 for 20 minutes.

As for my wonderful abdomen, I'm facing surgery again. This time it's going to be open surgery which is a 6 week healing time to properly fix the hernia that could have been ignored by the first surgeon and then I'm going to have some nerves cut in the area that keep getting inflamed.

Ayingel

holy crap woman!

Pandora

You are too young to have so many problems. Keep me post, kay?

James the Defender

*blinks and re-reads to make sure he read it correctly*

Wow... please, yes, keep us posted...

Princess

Well, work has interfered and says that I can't have the time off for the surgery that I need. I'm apparently not eligible for FMLA for 4 more months and if I have the surgery before then, they're only going to give me 2 weeks off instead of the 6 that I need.

Ayingel

ummm...wtf?

James the Defender

*shakes his head* Unforgivable...

My father can't work. He needs back surgery as he is now bound for a wheelchair...he's only 59...his employer DENIED his FMLA for no reason! He hurt himself on the job and they're fighting his workman's comp...He has massive PTO built up at work and they won't let him take that, either...They also dropped his insurance without notification

Eventually this payout is going to be huge with just the punitive damages alone...but we just hope by the time we have the money or insurance to get the surgery he's not dead...

Prin: Companies are evil...

Edited by James the Defender

Pandora

Wow, James are y'all pursuing this legally?

Ayingel

:( my stomach has been killing me all day yesterday and it seems like its still going today :(

James the Defender

Wow, James are y'all pursuing this legally?

Absolutely. Litigation takes awhile, however.

Pandora

Yeah, that's true. Good luck.

Ayingel

who would have thought getting fitted for crowns would be so painful :( i was prescribed extra strength vicodin 7.5/750 (keep in mind, this was just for some drilling on two teeth, one of which was dead, and last time i had this done, both teeth were alive) as opposed to the vicodin i've been holding on to from my extraction in april, which was 2.5/500 = \. i can't take the vicodin at work, and that's when i need it the most. this sucks. :(

Princess

So, according to my surgeon my left side is probably never going to be 100% again. He said that once you have nerve damage, you always have it.

Radioactive Isotope

He's right I'm afraid. Nerves are notoriously bad at healing themselves. There might be some regeneration, but I wouldn't count on much. :(

Princess

Especially since he cut two of them that were causing me the most problems. One in my abdomen was frayed

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.