Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Pandora

Debate Table

Rogue9

basically my school has an average class size of like 30 and we have a 99.9% college goin to rate (dont know the official name ) but this shows that class size 35 and under is really not a problem for people that discipline themselves

Uncle Du

I always had under 35 people in my classes, and look what happened to me, I joined the navy. :p

Edited by Du(SW)

Bad furday

My friends and I think that highschools (especially our highschool) should advertise the "stay in college and graduate" rate, not just the amount of people who go on to college.

Example: Almost everyone from my grade graduated from school and went to college. About a third of my grade went to Broome Community college, which is incredibly easy to get into. This continues to give our highschool its much bragged about '98% of students go on to college' statistic. However, about one fourth of that group ended up dropping out. That's not counting the others who didn't go to BCC, but still dropped out.

So yes...98% may go on to college, but how many of them actually make it all the way through?

Uncle Du

Good point. I know plenty of people that went right to college when we graduated, and all they did was party and smoke weed. Now it's 7 years later, and some of them are just now going back to school to try and finsh what they started.

Ender

We've got a good rate... 95% go to college and 88% graduate from college.

TheUnknown

So, what does everyone think about the illegal immigration debate?

Alexander

Its kind of insulting to those who came here legally to harbor the illegal without any recourse.

Tsl

It woudln't be a problem if there wasn't a demand for cheap, non union labor. Can't beat supply and demand.

TheUnknown

Which is why the focus needs to be on the companies that take advantage of this cheap labor.

Princess

I have no problem with people who want to work in this country, but get your citizenship or dual citizenship and pay your taxes like the rest of us

Chickenman

I'm not gonna pretend to know enough about this issue to make an educated opinion, but it seems to me the problem is with the bussinesses that attract the immigrants. If we could regulate that, then it wouldn't be such a major problem. But we all know Bush is going to work on that. :roll:

GI_Admiral

One could also argue that bad living conditions make the immigrants want to move away. Therefore if we make OUR living conditions bad....:p

Chickenman

Well, that's something Bush has been working on.

:p

GI_Admiral

see he's helping control illegal immigrants! :p

Chickenman

I will never doubt him again.

Ender

I have no problem with people who want to work in this country, but get your citizenship or dual citizenship and pay your taxes like the rest of us

Exactly.

Princess

Holy Sithspit Batman! Janson and I agreed on something!!

Alexander

But of course, to play devil's advocate, one could assert that they are in a way paying their dues by making sith wages.

Chickenman

Not government taxes though. They're just paying the people they work for.

Alexander

Well the businessmen in turn have to pay taxes, which comes out of whatever surplus they made by not paying the workers a decent wage. [/devil's advocate]

Chickenman

But don't they still get to keep extra money for not having to pay the illegal immigrants as much?

Radioactive Isotope

not if they get caught and fined enough.

i also agree with Prin/Janson. i have no problem with people coming in and working. but if they want the rights of an American citizen, they need to accept the responsibilities as such just like the rest of us.

Neil1

They also pay VAT and other taxes which are indirect.

Regardless, don't they come to the country illegally because there is no other choice but to?

But don't they still get to keep extra money for not having to pay the illegal immigrants as much?

Business tax is a tax on abnormal profit, I believe. Although tax is probably accounted for so it doesn't necserilly make that statement true. Eitherway a proportion of that money earnt is taxed. Although I don't know anything about the American rate of taxation. Correct?

Princess

LOL!!