Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Pandora

Debate Table

Radioactive Isotope

well, seeing as how i've never actually seen you as a dad, it would be difficult to argue one way or the other. :p

Uncle Du

See, so you can't argue about it.

I think of all the angles.

Mara

What a moronic law....

How the hell do they think they'll enforce this, anyway? :p

Uncle Du

That's kinda what I was wondering, cause knowing California, it will have something to do with invasion of privacy, then they'll just get sued any way.

The Governator needs to veto that sith!

Ayingel

heh...i was on the radio this morning talking about this ^-^

Uncle Du

Oooo, did you have your 30 seconds of fame? ;)

Ayingel

more like two minutes...and half of it was spent explaining what negative reinforcement was.

more like two minutes...and half of it was spent explaining what negative reinforcement was.

Mara

That's kinda what I was wondering, cause knowing California, it will have something to do with invasion of privacy, then they'll just get sued any way.

The Governator needs to veto that sith!

No kidding.

I mean, I'm sure you could probably enforce public spanking but the how the hell would you keep track of people doing it in private?

*shakes head*

Uncle Du

Hey, you don't have to tell me twice. ;)

Radioactive Isotope

yes we do :p

Ayingel

whoa....well, it wasn't posting so :p

GI_Admiral

lol everyone has their own way of teaching people.

Spanking is a basic strategy that's been around forever. Do something bad, punish them enough where they don't want to do it again. Just yesterday my roommate and I were talking about how in Singapore they use canes to beat people down to the bone, and that's their equivalent of 2-5 years in jail. He thought it was barbaric, which in a sense it might be, but it does the job. I would argue that it's more effective than sitting them in a room for potentially not EVEN 2-5 years (with good behavior appeals etc). But I guess it boils down to how "righteous" you want to be. Less effective but you feel better, or more effective and you feel bad.

Personally, I probably wouldn't spank my children. I'd probably think of other ways (no allowances etc)

Princess

You're going to tell a 2 year old that he or she isn't getting an allowance?

GI_Admiral

hmmm we were talking about a 2 year old? errrr.......I dont htink Id do any punishment at that age...

Mara

But then he/she would keep misbehaving.

Princess

Exactly. What are you going to do when they run away from you in the store? Or reach for a hot pan?

Mara

Uh huh. And if you don't correct bad behavior early, they'll learn that you'll never punish them. So when they really disobey, they'll get away with it.

Princess

And then you'll end up on Nanny 911 or Supernanny!

GI_Admiral

lol at 2 you think they're thinking

"BWAHAHAHA Mom/Dad doesn't punish me...time to go smuggle beer and drugs!"

When they're older (going to school probably) but then again...im sure the mom would probably trump me in everything so I cant really take any sides :p

Neil1

Any kind of physical disciplines at a young age should be avoided. I'm pretty sure there are a large number of alternatives to teaching your child that if someone doesn't follow your rules they should be punished with force.

Allowance? More like spoilage!

Princess

GI, you have to be consistent with discipline from birth, otherwise your child will grow up confused and with no guidelines as how to properly behave, trust me, I've got cousins lilke that

GI_Admiral

So you're saying that if you would spank a 7-8-9 year old, you wanna start early.

"Oh my god, waking me up in the middle of the night! sure you're only few days old, but I gotta be consistent!!!"

Does this also mean that if my son at age 15 drank and got arrested and I wanted to spank him or belt whip him (lol!) that I should stay consistent and do the same to my 1 year old?

Harsh.

Brumak

If you were consistent with punishment, chances are when they're 15 they'll have a lesser chance of wanting to do something like that :p

GI_Admiral

How would you punish a 1-3 year old......

Hit him? Take away something he likes? They're young enough when everythings interesting and likable to them. I mean I'd tell them what was right and wrong and maybe threaten them like saying "next time you do this [instert something]". But honestly, they haven't gotten used to things they "like" or dislike and so you cant do that either.

Princess

I'm sorry but if my 1-3 year old does something like run off from me in the store, I'm gonna give them a quick swat to the butt. However, GI, knowing you, you're arguing just to argue