Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
TheUnknown

2008 Races

Drake

Was that too cynical? I was kinda drunk, lol.

Radioactive Isotope

lol, no i think you hit pretty close to the mark. yes, there are people who actually research the candidates and think long and hard about who to vote for, but a lot of people will vote based on a single issue, name recognition, or the eenie meenie miney mo thing.

Mara

Yeah. It's really sad.

TheUnknown

We have three caucuses and a primary today. On the Republican side, Huckabee annihilated McCain is Kansas (a problem with conservatives for St. McCain?). Louisiana and Washington (state) are not in yet. Louisiana is a primary. Washington is a caucus. Huckabee should do very well in Louisiana. Washington would seem to be McCain territory, but I've heard the eastern part (where most of the Republicans are) is fairly evangelical.

On the Democratic side, Obama has won the caucuses in Washington and Nebraska. Louisiana is not in yet, but he'll probably win that one, too.

Drake

Whenever I catch a clip of a speech from one of these candidates, be it on the news or on a news satire show, half the time they're talking about God this and saviour that. Now, I'm a Christian but...it's kind of annoying. Separation of church and state, what? Do they think people of other or no religion are going to care?

TheUnknown

Obama sweeps Clinton, winning big in the Virgin Islands, Louisiana, Washington (state), and Nebraska. Huckabee has won in Kansas and Louisiana. Still not sure about Washington.

TheUnknown

Obama and McCain sweep, winning the primaries in Virginia, Maryland, and the District of Columbia. Clinton is in BIG trouble. *cackles*

Radioactive Isotope

can we have a "None of the Above" option? seriously. :|

TheUnknown

That is an option in Nevada. I still haven't figured out what happens if that wins.

Mara

Was that like our "uncommitted" vote?

TheUnknown

I wouldn't think so, because if the delegates are uncommitted, they are free to choose a candidate at the convention. "None of the above votes," because they are inanimate objects, can't do that.

Mara

Ahh.

So then why bother voting?

Radioactive Isotope

to do your patriotic duty and at the same time show that you hate all of the candidates. :p

TheUnknown

Exactly. There is also the choice of writing in someone (including yourself). Done that. Or voting for someone with no chance in hell. Done that, too.

Drake

In an effort to try to understand your political system a little better...

When a party leader doesn't win presidency, do they get to have any kind of further say in anything or do they just go back to their regular jobs? I know that some of the candidates are senators and whatnot but that's not what I mean.

For example. In Canada and the UK, when a party leader doesn't get elected as Prime Minister, they remain as leader of their party and get to continue in the governing process through the House of Commons in Parliament.

So, I guess what I'm asking is if the runner-up gets to continue as part of the governing process or do they get kicked to the curb?

TheUnknown

Let's assume that the nominees will be John McCain for the Republicans and Barack Obama for the Democrats. Both are currently members of the United States Senate. However, wins will become president while whoever loses will remain in the Senate (assuming he doesn't resign; Bob Dole actually resigned from the Senate before he lost). For example, John Kerry was a sitting United States Senator. He lost the election but is still in the Senate.

However, you don't have to be a member of Congress to be the nominee of either party. George W. Bush and Bill Clinton were governors. Jimmy Carter was a FORMER governor, so he had no formal power at the moment.

And the nominees are not necessarily party leaders. The formal leader of the Democratic Party is Howard Dean, Chairman of the Democratic National Committee. The formal leader of the Republican Party is Mel Martinez, Chairman of the Republican National Committee.

In other words, this is a contest to choose the NOMINEES of the parties for one specific office. The president is the de facto leader of his or her party, but even then, he or she is not the formal leader. Howard Dean and Mel Martinez will continue in their roles until their terms are up.

Drake

*nods*

I see, I see.

Radioactive Isotope

did your brian asplode yet? :p

TheUnknown

Mitt Romney is going to endorse John McCain.

Radioactive Isotope

i saw that. i don't like it, but he wouldn't have endorsed Huckleby since they hate each other.

TheUnknown

Hopefully, Obama can deliver a deathblow in Wisconsin next Tuesday, so we can end this and get to the nine months of inter-party mudslinging.

I've also heard that John McCain may resign his seat.

TheUnknown

The contest for the Democratic nomination ends Tuesday.

TheUnknown

The contest for the Democratic nomination ends Tuesday.

Well, I was wrong there, LOL. Hopefully, it ends tomorrow.

Winters

Becareful... you may eat your words... my state allowed Hillary to continue. PA may allow Hillary to continue as well...

TheUnknown

Hopefully, it'll be close enough (I'm not even gonna hope that Obama wins Pennsylvania) that Hillary can't really claim much of a victory from it and can gain no momentum.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.