Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
TheUnknown

2008 Races

Radioactive Isotope

http://www.theonion.com/content/news_brief...n_given_nations

Black Man Given Nation's Worst Job

WASHINGTON?African-American man Barack Obama, 47, was given the least-desirable job in the entire country Tuesday when he was elected president of the United States of America. In his new high-stress, low-reward position, Obama will be charged with such tasks as completely overhauling the nation's broken-down economy, repairing the crumbling infrastructure, and generally having to please more than 300 million Americans and cater to their every whim on a daily basis. As part of his duties, the black man will have to spend four to eight years cleaning up the messes other people left behind. The job comes with such intense scrutiny and so certain a guarantee of failure that only one other person even bothered applying for it. Said scholar and activist Mark L. Denton, "It just goes to show you that, in this country, a black man still can't catch a break."

less than 24 hours and someone's already brought up the race card. :roll:

Drake

Uhhh...aside from the fact that it's THE ONION and that's what they do...

That card has been played for the past two years.

Andy

Yeah, it is the Onion. lol

Funny stuff. lol

TheUnknown

Oh, happy day!

Uncle Du

less than 24 hours and someone's already brought up the race card. :roll:

It goes both ways. The number of people that voted for Obama just because he's black is staggering.

I really hope that he can get s*** done. Should be an interesting 4 years.

Andy

It goes both ways. The number of people that voted for Obama just because he's black is staggering.

But I think they would be pretty much balanced out by the people who DIDN'T vote for him because he is black.

Uncle Du

Yes. It goes both ways. ;)

Bad furday

We heard it live on the radio at work.....it was certainly interesting that on average, the younger members of our overnight crew were for Obama, while the older members were for Mccain...

*ginormous glee again!*

Edited by Bad furday

TheUnknown

I plan to update everyone on the exact breakdowns of the House, Senate, Governors, and Electoral College, but we STILL don't know about a couple of races.

Chickenman

Franken has won. Kind of.

All hail the (maybe) next Senator of Minnesota, possibly.

(PS, he's the one on the right. :p)

Edited by Chickenman

Andy

So, I here there is some black guy in charge now.

Seriously. It's been doing my head in. It's like; "the black man Barack 'Black' Obama--who is black--today became the first black President. This is a momentous occasion for equality because he is black".

When will people learn that if it was really about equality we wouldn't have to drop in the words "black" or "African-American" every two minutes.

Also, "African-American President"? Since when was African-America a country. He's American. End of. Stop playing the race card, please.

( PS: I am not racist and do not intend to offend anyone but seriously, he's a human being, and that's what matters, the colour of somebodies skin shouldn't have anything to do with it, IMO.)

Bad furday

*applauds* :p :)

Chickenman

I agree with what you're saying Beeurd, but on this side of the pond it is a huge deal. To come 180 degrees around from slavery is pretty incredible. A lot of Americans were around during a time where black people and white people couldn't use the same drinking fountains. Most Americans never thought they'd ever see this day. The horrors of slavery have still left a deep emotional scar in America's collective memory. Race is still a veeeery touchy subject here. It was only a few years ago that Don Imus was booted off the air by those ambulance chasers, Al Sharpton and Jesse Jackson (the boys who cried racism). America is till trying to determine what is bigotry and what is taking political correctness to insane lengths. But the good news is that this issue is improving every day. Today's school children are horrified and can't believe it when they learn that black people were sprayed down with fire hoses like animals during the civil rights movement, which means the future is bright.

That's why we're making such a huge deal about this.

Bad furday

*applauds Chicken* :p :)

Radioactive Isotope

i'm with both beeurd and Chicken. yes, America has come a long way since the days of slavery and Jim Crow laws, but Obama's more than just the first Black President. he's a human being, and our country's leader for at least the next four years. skin tone doesn't have anything to do with it. and while i don't agree with everything he says or plans, i wish him the best of luck and i hope he does change this country for the better. i'm glad to see the new limits on lobbyists and the pay freeze for his staff. waiting to see how closing Gitmo works out. not that i have a problem with shutting it down, and getting the legal system moving, but i wonder where he's going to put terror suspects that haven't had their day in court (if there are any) by the end of the year and how he will handle new terror suspects. an interesting 4 years to be sure.

Chickenman

Definitely.

Though I agree, I gotta wonder if "closing" Gitmo is the right solution. It's not so much Gitmo I don't like. It's the torture thing. Maybe we could keep Gitmo, just stop with the testicle electrocuting?

Chickenman

Franken's a senator, by the way. :p

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.