Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
TheUnknown

2008 Races

Chickenman

Winters

Mind if I talk about the debate last night?

Who watched it? Who loved it? Did it change anyone's point of view? Do you know Joe the Plumber?

Now, I loved this debate because 1). It actually is making me vote; 2). McCain starting really good then crashing; 3). Obama actually holding his ground when McCain was on the offensive. 4). McCain did really well compared to his last two debates.

What does everyone else think?

(I loved McCain's reactions throughtout the debate).

Chickenman

I've still got to watch it. Not that I was at all thinking about voting McCain.

Drake

(I loved McCain's reactions throughtout the debate).

Like this one?

1224131947987.jpg

Mara

Nope, I was working and missed the debate.

Darn! :p

Chickenman

Europe Mocks Palin

the Irish Times warned, "just a heartbeat away from the biggest half-baked Alaskan nightmare."

Britain's Financial Times said his selection of vice president raised serious questions about John McCain's judgment and added: "The Palin appointment is yet more proof of the way that abortion still dominates American politics."

"Hello. Yes, I'd a like a pair of plane tickets to Europe. No, not round-trip. Thank you."

TheUnknown

THE SENATE

The Senate is the upper body of the U.S. legislature. It has the exclusive right to ratify treaties (sans trade agreements) and approve judges, ambassadors, and other political appointees. Senators serve six year terms that are staggered into three groups, so that only one third of the Senate is up for re-election every two years. Each state has two Senators who represent the whole state; states are not divided into districts for the Senate. There are 100 Senators. Fifty-one are needed for an outright majority, however, the Vice-President breaks tied votes in the Senate, so the party that controls the White House only needs 50 Senators to control the Senate. The Senate also allows fillibustering, unlimited debate used to kill or delay a bill in hopes of getting concessions. Sixty-one votes are needed to kill a fillibuster.

Current Breakdown [ Party | Total Seats | Seats Up This Year]

Democratic | 49 | 12

Republicans | 49 | 22

Independents* | 2 | 0

(*both independents sit with the Democrats, so it's effectively 51-49)

Seats Vulnerable to Takeover (in order of likelihood, in my opinion):

Virginia [open]

New Mexico [open]

New Hampshire

Colorado [open]

Alaska

North Carolina

Oregon

Minnesota

Georgia

Mississippi-B* (*because of the resignation of Sen. Trent Lott, both Mississippi seats are up this year. This race is to fill the remainder of Lott's unexpired term.)

Kentucky

Louisiana

THE HOUSE OF REPRESENTATIVES

The House is the lower body of the legislature. Money bills (such as budgets) must originate in the House. The Speaker of the House is third in line to the Presidency, meaning that should both the President and Vice President became unable to fulfill their duties either permanently or temporarily around the same time (a new Vice President can be appointed), the Speaker becomes President. There are 435 members of the House. Seats are delegated to states according to population. States are then divided into districts of roughly equal population. However, each state must have at least one representative, so there are cases where not every representative as a roughly equal number of constituents. Districts are named with their state and a number; my district is the 11th district of Georgia (GA-11). Districts encompassing a whole state are called "at large" (ie. DE-AL). All seats are up for election this year. Two hundred eight are needed for control of the chamber.

Current Breakdown [ Party | Total Seats]

Democratic | 236

Republicans | 199

Seats Vulnerable to Takeover (by state and number):

Alabama 2nd

Alabama 5th

Alaska At Large

Arizona 1st

Arizona 3rd

Arizona 5th

Arizona 8th

California 4th

California 11th

Colorado 4th

Connecticut 2nd

Connecticut 4th

Connecticut 5th

Florida 8th

Florida 13th

Florida 15th

Florida 16th

Florida 21st

Florida 23rd

Florida 25th

Georgia 8th

Georgia 12th

Idaho 1st

Illinois 6th

Illinois 8th

Illinois 10th

Illinois 11th

Illinois 13th

Illinois 14th

Illinois 18th

Indiana 3rd

Indiana 9th

Iowa 4th

Kansas 2nd

Kansas 3rd

Kentucky 2nd

Kentucky 3rd

Louisiana 4th

Louisiana 6th

Louisiana 7th

Maine 1st

Maryland 1st

Michigan 7th

Michigan 9th

Minnesota 1st

Minnesota 2nd

Minnesota 3rd

Minnesota 6th

Mississippi 1st

Missouri 6th

Missouri 9th

Nebraska 2nd

Nevada 2nd

Nevada 3rd

New Hampshire 1st

New Hampshire 2nd

New Jersey 3rd

New Jersey 5th

New Jersey 7th

New Mexico 1st

New Mexico 2nd

New York 13th

New York 19th

New York 20th

New York 24th

New York 25th

New York 26th

New York 29th

North Carolina 8th

Ohio 1st

Ohio 2nd

Ohio 7th

Ohio 14th

Ohio 15th

Ohio 16th

Ohio 18th

Oregon 5th

Pennsylvania 3rd

Pennsylvania 4th

Pennsylvania 6th

Pennsylvania 8th

Pennsylvania 10th

Pennsylvania 11th

Pennsylvania 15th

Pennsylvania 18th

Texas 7th

Texas 10th

Texas 22nd

Texas 23rd

Virginia 2nd

Virginia 5th

Virginia 10th

Virginia 11th

Washington 8th

West Virginia 2nd

Wisconsin 8th

Wyoming At Large

Edited by TheUnknown

Andy

">" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="349">

:lol:

Ana

Nice one. :p

In other news, Republicans just KEEP pissing me off with their absolutely disgraceful behavior, both the ticket and the followers.

just so we're clear...

ter?ror?ism

?noun

1. the use of violence and threats to intimidate or coerce, esp. for political purposes.

Exhibit A

Exhibit B

Exhibit C

Exhibit D

Exhibit E

Exhibit F

Exhibit G

Exhibit H

The last one's especially nice. Lying to the cops to try and frame Democrats for domestic terrorism is, IMO, a form of terrorism. Learn some manners, GOP. For claiming to be the "moral right", your ethics stink.

Chickenman

For Exhibit H, the woman appears to have had a history of mental problems, so I'm not going to put any blame on the GOP for that.

I'm very pissed off about some of the flame-fanning Palin's been doing at some rallies, but there are more important things that I'm going to worry about than a few bad apples acting on their own.

Chickenman

8 out of 10. Being the SNL nut that I am, I really expected a perfect score. :(

Drake

Got all the pictures right. They're easy to tell apart, lol.

Andy

Who's Fey? lol

Chickenman

Tina Fey. Comedienne from Saturday Night Live and 30 Rock. Been doing a magnificent Palin impression the past couple of weeks.

Andy

Oh, never heard of her. lol

TheUnknown

Election Night Coverage Drinking Game (in the planning stages)

I don't know the drink requirements, but here are some events:

They encourage people to go vote.

They show John King at the election map.

They show a candidate's concession speech and someone in the crowd is wailing

Someone behind the candidate is crying

The candidate himself/herself is crying

They show a candidate's victory speech and the crowd boos the other person when mentioned and the candidate tries to quiet them.

The candidate DOESN'T try to quiet them (drink the awesomeness of said candidate for not bowing to fake congenieality.)

They say the word "landslide" or "mandate"

They talk about 60 Senate seats

They say "[Candidate] is not doing as well as expected here." or "[Candidate] is doing better than expected."

They say "This state hasn't gone Democratic since 1964." Or "Lyndon Johnson was the last Democrat to win this state."

1976. or Jimmy Carter

1992. or Bill Clinton

1996. or Bill Clinton

2000. or Al Gore

Some Republican rants about the Democrats' monopoly on power.

He/she says "Democrat Party"

He/she says "Democratic Party"

He/she says "Democratic Party" and looks like they made a mistake by calling it by its actual name.

The reporters actually look sad or happy about the outcome

They talk about how this could go into the night.

They talk about an upset at any level.

They talk about the gay marriage amendments.

The polls are extended anywhere.

Any suggestions?

Radioactive Isotope

i'm not watching any TV until the election's over, or i may stab the TV.

*is sick of political ads*

Bad furday

Perhaps a touching sob story that has no impact whatsoever on the telecast, eh Unknown?

ie:

Wolf Blitzer/Anderson Cooper/dumbass: "...a story that will inspire you, full of American ingenuity....little Ms. Whatsername, who,

after the batteries in her electric wheelchair gave out, used her hands and arms to drag herself to the polling station and vote!!!!!!!"

Edited by Bad furday

Chickenman

We need to get rid of electronic voting machines. I'm working the polls on Tuesday, and thank goodness my state continues using good old pen and paper. How the hell has no one spoken up about a system of voting that leaves no paper trail? Are you serious? I just watched a video where a computer professor was able to hack a voting machine in six minutes and fifty one seconds. It's absolutely retarded that we're using a damned computer to run the cornerstone of our democracy. In fact, one could argue it's the only bastion of freedom we've got left in a government crawling with corruption, where the corporations own the politicians, and lawmakers can ignore the Constitution without fear of reprisal. Voting is one of the last weapons the people have against a government that is no longer by the people and certainly no longer for them. To corrupt our voting system is to destroy our society, and these voting machines offer up a very easy way to corrupt our democracy.

This is why, despite the fact that Obama is predicted to win, I've got a strong feeling I'm going to cry Tuesday night.

Drake

What was that movie with Robin Williams in it where he was a political comedian and he ran for president as a joke and won because of a flaw in the electronic voting system?

Anyway, it was pretty good. Shows the possibility of foul play in digital voting. In Canada, we still use pen and paper. Our only problem is that we get around 60% voter turnout.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.