Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
TheUnknown

2008 Races

Princess

Then the pork-barrel spending would not get passed

Chickenman

They read that part bills they write, Prin.

Part of the reason pork gets passed is because the others don't have enough time to read every sentence of a bill.

Radioactive Isotope

that's why the Office of the President should get the power for line-item vetoes back. but Congress won't allow it cuz then they won't get their pork.

TheUnknown

Maybe Congress could read the ewoking bills (or at least have one fewer excuse) if they didn't have to raise money for re-election all the time. We need to have full public campaign finance as the sole source of campaign funds.

GI_Admiral

Pork Barrel spending is needed.

Most Americans only go by small bits of information. "He's for this" "He's against that" "He voted no to this" "Yes to that" etc. If you don't pork barrel, you will lose (not only about gathering money, but about the peoples opinion). If you veto a bill with pork, you're basically saying you're against everything that bill stands for. So when the bill is about financing armor for US Soldiers, you are basically forced into agreeing unless you want to be seen as anti-US Soldiers. In addition, if you choose not to pork, you have no way to persuade voters of what a good job you're doing (I built a library and what not in my state, etc), and you're opponent will most likely use that against you ("He's not doing a good job, if I were elected, I'd make sure more libraries were built!"). Also, most congressmen have people reading the bills, but just because they know it's their doesn't mean they can vote against it anymore than if they didn't read the bill =/

Line item veto is too much power to the president. It's not even about the pork, just the general fact that the President can now enforce his party line. Oh Republicans and Democrats both add something to this bill? Veto all democrat stuff.

Alas, Pork Barreling is just a part of democracy

Chickenman

It's a part that's corrupting Democracy. It needs to be controlled.

Radioactive Isotope

if congress people want money for their contstituants, they need to write a bill/petition for it. not tack it onto a bill that's giving US soldiers better armor.

Chickenman

Ooh I cannot wait for these foreign policy debates.

Hey, McCain, as a warm up, which one of these is a Sunni and which is a Shi'a?

225px-Mahmoud_Ahmadinejad.jpg200px-Iraq,_Saddam_Hussein_(222).jpg

Drake

I'll just leave this right here...

palin.jpg

Andy

Oh, wow. :|

Bad furday

Brilliant! *squints* Is that in Illustrator? :p

Drake

Don't ask me. I didn't make it. :p

Chickenman

So McCain...who has criticized Obama for not appearing in town hall debates with him, and in fact used that as an excuse for McCain's own negative campaigning (Try to figured that one out. Or instead, buy a slushie and drink it as fast as you can. You'll get brainfreeze, but it'll make your brain hurt less than the first option.) threatened to not appear in the national televised debate.

Hey, John McCain...shut the ewok up.

Chickenman

Thoughts on the debate?

TheUnknown

I haven't gotten a chance to see it yet. I'll have to scour Youtube.

Chickenman

I'm flabbergasted that you missed it.

I think they both did pretty well, though obviously I think Obama did a bit better job.

McCain was piiiiiiissed at one point.

I will say my favorite part was when McCain, the one who claims to have foreign policy experience, couldn't pronounce Ahmadinejad.

"Ackabladagada....Acklahomalabama....you know, that guy. The one who I said is a huge threat to America? Him."

TheUnknown

I was playing poker. :p

I do see one clip where McCain says, under his breath, "Horsesh*t."

Chickenman

Please dear god give me a link.

Princess

And notice who is and who isn't wearing a lapel pin of the American flag?

Radioactive Isotope

there's a reason i don't watch the debates. they tend to make me angry and i don't want to scare my husband anymore than i have to.

GI_Admiral

Corruption will always happen. There is no way to control it as President without HUGE support from public AND congress (Which they won't as they need it as a campaign tool).

Also McCain does have more experience in Foreign Policy than Obama. Obama really lucked out that they decided to make half the debate on the economy. As to who won, McCain won the debate itself but not by enough to make a difference. People will take that McCain is an angry old man who sometimes gets flustered, while people will take Obama as a very collected (though slightly forgetful about whether he's facing Tom, Jim or John McCain...) candidate.

@Youtube: I think he was saying of course :p

@Drakes pic: Epic WIN!

Mara

there's a reason i don't watch the debates. they tend to make me angry and i don't want to scare my husband anymore than i have to.

And why I am glad I am not at home at that time. :p

Drake

Funny story...

While talking on MSN, Chickenman brings up the point about how Colonel Tigh from Battlestar Galactica bears a striking resemblance to John McCain. To that, I agreed and suggested that Palin should dress up like Starbuck. Moments later, I changed my suggestion to the president chick on BSG as they look the same and it would be more ironic that way.

Not even 5 minutes later, I was browsing pictures on another website when I ran across this:

galactica.jpg

Andy

Does Palin actually need to wear glasses? Because there is a picture of her in the paper and if you look into the glasses there is no refraction of the light, whereas vision-altering lenses should cause slight distortion.

So is she just wearing them to look intelligent? lol

Example:

Sarah Palin - Notice the line of her face is unaltered by her glasses:

sarahpalin2.jpg

Some random person I found in a Google search:

new%20glasses%201.JPG

Edited by Andy

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.