Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Andy

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7618537.stm

Apart from the fact that Russell T Davies already picked the previous and current Doctors, and it isn't his place to pick the next one, I don't care how much of a good actor he is, Russell Tovey isn't the best-looking actor in the world. Sorry to be vain, but if they are going to pick younger actors for the Doctor then they can at least pick pretty ones. lol

Andy

Steven Moffat has turned down a deal worth ?500,000 to write the script for the second of three Steven Spielberg and Peter Jackson films based on the Tintin comic strip in order to take the creative reigns of Doctor Who with the BBC.

Hollywood executives are said to be "baffled" by Moffat's decision, but Spielberg was sympathetic; claiming to be one of the Doctor's fans.

A Hollywood insider who has clearly not been keeping up with sci-fi for the last 45 years said, "No one walks away from Spielberg and all that money for a show no one has heard of. I mean, what is this doctor show about? It sounds a little silly."

Moffat, who says he has been waiting for this job since he was seven said it was an offer he couldn't refuse; and was forced to back out of the Hollywood contract which had been delayed by the writers strike last year.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/artic...Who-writer.html

Fair play to him, I say! :D

Andy

Confirmed by the BBC, Tennant has announced he will leave the show after the 2009 specials, leaving a new actor to step into the role of the 11th Doctor for the 2010 series.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7698539.stm

It is likely that the regeneration may have some light shed on it in in the 2008 Christmas special, which was earlier revealed to have the curious title of The Next Doctor.

Personally, I always thought he should leave the show either this or next year, even though I do love him. lol

Edited by Andy

TyranaRaptor

The fifth incarnation may have been the Tenths Doctor, but the one played by David Tennant will always be my Doctor.

Still, we do need a new person to play the role. Speaking of which, we are getting kinda close to the last couple of regenerations......

Edited by TyranaRaptor

Andy

They'll come up with a loophole. Presumably at some point they will restore Gallifrey, and the Time Lords can grant the Doctor further regenerations, or maybe the Matrix is still intact somewhere and the Doctor can access it somehow... Who knows?

But I'm sure the BBC won't let the series die again any time soon. lol

TyranaRaptor

Spoiler: The Master comes back and uses his super badassery powers to bring back Gallifrey.

Andy

He'd never be able to do that without the Doctor helping him. ;)

Unfortunately then he'd declare himself President of the High Council of Time Lords, of course. :roll: :p

Andy

Just saw the extended trailer for it... And there is another Doctor in it, played by David Morrissey . :|

I wonder if it really is the 11th Doctor, or whether it is one of those possible incarnations like the Valyard was meant to be back in the 70s.

Interesting. It'll prolly be on YouTube somewhere lol

Although, there is something abit fishy. Perhaps he is just an imposter. He also doesn't recognise the 10th Doctor. And his 'sonic screwdriver' looks, well, like a normal screwdriver. lol

Edited by Andy

Andy

The BBC have announced that the eleventh actor to play the titular role in Doctor Who will be revealed during a showing of the 'behind the scenes' Doctor Who Confidential programme on Saturday.

David Tennant, who has starred in the cult TV series since 2005, will continue to star as the Tenth Doctor in four specials to be aired before the series returns in full next year, with the first to begin filming in January.

The 2010 series is to begin filming this summer.

Doctor Who Confidential will air on the UK's BBC One at 1735 (GMT) on 3rd January (and most likely all over YouTube shortly afterwards).

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/7807742.stm

Andy

446doctor1.jpg

Matt Smith, previously seen in the BBC's political drama Party Animals (2007) and an adaptation of Philip Pullman's Ruby in the Smoke (2006) and The Shadow in the North (2007), has been cast as the Eleventh Doctor.

At 26, he is the youngest actor so far to play the 900-year-old Time Lord.

BBC Press Office: Matt Smith is the new Doctor

BBC News: New Doctor is youngest ever

BBC News: Who on earth is Matt Smith?

Andy

Planet of the Dead is the first of the four specials that fill in gap 2009--2010 gap between the previous and next full seasons.

Still with the 10th Doctor, for now, it is due to air over Easter on BBC one in the UK, and is the first episode of Doctor Who to be filmed in HD.

There are not many details available at the moment, as the BBC like to be sneaky, but it is known to be guest-starring comedian Lee Evans as Professor Malcolm, and soap actress Michelle Ryan as the mysterious Lady Christina de Souza. Norma Dumenzwenialso reprises her role from Turn Left as UNIT Captain Erisa Magambo. Also featuring is Adam James as Detective Inspector McMillan.

The episode has been written by outgoing Executive Producer Russell T Davies and Gareth Roberts (The Shakespeare Code, The Unicorn and the Wasp), with filming taking place in Dubai, with nearby deserts providing the setting for an alien world.

A major story element was centred around use of a 1980s double decker bus, but rewrites were needed after it was extensively damaged during transport to Dubai.

Edited by Andy

Andy

Just watched Planet of the Dead. It was pretty good although seems a bit frivolous at times, oh well.

It ends with an ominous premonition from one of the characters, a clairvoyant, who informs the Doctor that his "he is coming out of the dark" and "he will knock four times".

Incidentally,

John Simm is rumoured to be reprising his role as the Master to be David Tennant's last adversary before the 11th Doctor takes over.

There was a short trailer for the second special, The Waters of Mars, which is obviously set on Mars ( :p ), and is due to be broadcast in November.

This second special is another stand-alone story, but will lead into the 10th Doctor's two-part finale.

Ana

I thought it was fun. I mean, not 'omg best ep ever', but very decent fun.

I'm excited for more Master! I really like John Simm in that role.

What has me puzzled is the stuff saying Catherine Tate's coming back for the final two specials. I mean, either we get an extreme dodge-out-of-sight ep where she never sees him (which could be rather amusing), or we get Donna's head exploding when she sees the Doctor, right?

Andy

I thought it was fun. I mean, not 'omg best ep ever', but very decent fun.

I'm excited for more Master! I really like John Simm in that role.

What has me puzzled is the stuff saying Catherine Tate's coming back for the final two specials. I mean, either we get an extreme dodge-out-of-sight ep where she never sees him (which could be rather amusing), or we get Donna's head exploding when she sees the Doctor, right?

Simm did make an awesome Master!

I thought Donna was a brilliant character too, and I was really annoyed when they rote Tate out like that. I was hoping they'd take a more interesting storyline from it, what with the unpopular revelation from the 1996 television film that the Doctor is half-human, I thought they could have used Donna becoming a Time Lord from that as an explanation to just how exactly the Doctor is half-human. It was never really explained, although apparently it was already theorised that the Doctor only had one heart in his original incarnation and wasn't until he regenerated that he obtained his second heart. Of course, this is mainly due to the fact that many of the Time Lord concepts that are around now weren't thought up that long ago!

Andy

Tennant is to guest star as the Doctor in an episode of the children's spin-off show Sarah Jane Adventures which will air this summer. The BBC say it is a full appearance for the Doctor and not just a cameo.

It was previously thought that Whovians would have to wait until November for the next adventure of the Doctor, when the second of the four specials, the Waters of Mars will air.

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/entertainment/8068435.stm

Also mentioned is the fact that a script for a Doctor Who film is in production. This is the first time I've seen the BBC say this as a fact... They've spoke about it for a long time, and I'm not sure whether it would follow the series.

Andy

Spoiler: The Master comes back and uses his super badassery powers to bring back Gallifrey.

Wow, just saw this post from over a year ago... and that's not far from what just happened in Tennant's last episodes.

The finally was a bit typical of Russel T Davies' reign. Part 1 of The End of Time was a bit lame I thought, but Part 2 was better...

With Tomothy Dalton playing Rassilon, Lord President of Galifrey, as the Time Lords are freed from the Time War and prepare to end time itself in order to prevent their defeat.

I can't spoil the 'he will knock 4 times' prophecy. But it was very well done, I thought. And then the Doctor had to spoil his dramatic exit by going off on a 'farewell tour', before returning to the TARDIS. He regenerates after putting the TARDIS in flight, and for some reason the regeneration energy damages the ship, and sends it spinning out of control and crashing back towards Earth as the Eleventh Doctor comes to his senses.

There is a trailer for the 2010 series (airs in Spring 2010 on BBC one in the UK):

http://www.youtube.c...h?v=esqeAqrKKA4

I'm considerably excited.

Edited by Andy

Andy

Well, Doctor Who started over here on Saturday just gone, and I thought it was fantastic!

New Doctor. New TARDIS. New opening theme tune and visuals. Amazing

A lot of people have been complaining about the quality of the CGI being so terrible, but I think it is on a par with previous episodes; and nothing is as bad as the flying bus in Planet of the Dead.

Matt Smith? AMAZING. I think a lot of people who said he would be terrible have egg on their faces now.

Don't want to spoil the first episode for you... But there are some great one-liners, and Matt Smith's Doctor reminds me of Tom Baker and Patrick Troughton in some parts.

The new TARDIS interior isn't revealed until the end, but it is worth the wait! :D

I'm still slightly iffy about the new theme music, but I'm sure sI'll get used to it. :)

Here's a clip from an upcoming episode, Vampires of Venice:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U3eKmKsBqK8

Ana

Matt Smith is blowing me away. I was so afraid that he'd be playing the Doctor... young, if that makes any sense. But he's totally not. He's just plain and simple Doctor-y in his own way. Having only seen NuWho, I'll have to take your word on his Doctor being influenced by past Doctors, but he's definitely bringing himself into the role as well.

Adore Pond. But I don't want her to be falling for the Doctor! Enough with the Doctor as a romantic lead BS. I'm praying that she was conflicted before the Doctor came back for her, maybe a love triangle with Rory and Jeff back home, and she wasn't sure she's really in love with the one she's marrying tomorrow morning. Can we please have a lesbian companion? Or a male companion?

(Personally, Jeff struck me as gay, but apparently he was watching het pr0n when the Doctor burst in to use his laptop, so I'm considering him a candidate for Amy. ANYONE BUT THE DOCTOR PLZ.)

Re: Victory of the Daleks: Hooray for the Doctor not managing to both save Earth and destroy the Daleks simultaneously. Boo for Daleks that look like Mighty Morphin' Power Rangers. Or, as someone commented on my friend's LJ:

Queer Daleks For The Straight Guy! "REDECORATE! REDECORAAAATE!"

And SO looking forward to next week's ep! Weeping Angels! River Song!

...*frowns* I can find the spoiler thingy.

Bad furday

That was such a great episode with Vincent Van Gogh! :D :D:D

I think I enjoyed the parts most where they go into his house, without realising who he is at first, and are puzzled when he's like, "Careful, that one's wet!" before he allows them to enter.

And when he takes a painting and paints over it to show the Doctor and Amy what it is that he sees lurking around in the dark, and the two of them give cries of dismay, for he's just destroyed

one of his paintings - though I'm having a hard time finding pics of that one one...hmmm :p

And the end, where

The Doctor and Amy take Van Gogh to Paris in 2010 to a show in the museum whose main attraction is Van Gogh...and the Doctor has the gallery curator describe Vincent's work in 100 words or less, and Van Gogh breaks down. I know I would, if some time traveler took me hundreds of years into the future and showed me my artworks hanging in a museum, and that they had become famous iconic images.

And the part where after a bit the Doctor and Amy return to the exhbition...and then learn that Van Gogh did indeed commit suicide, and then see Sunflowers with "For Amy" on it. :cry: Oh Doctor Who, you'v e done it again. :p

I've just realised that everything in that episode makes its way into Van Gogh's paintings. His bedroom, the woods, his dislike of sunflowers, the fields, etc. Great cinematography in getting that foreshadowing in there! :D

Edited by Bad furday

Winters

The Christmas Special was nice, although it was Companion Lite (which is a real disappointment because I love Karren Gillan), it's one of those mushy "romantic" (in the more literatary sense) episodes that just makes the Doctor, the Doctor.

Jake Durron

I've just started lol

Winters

It's best to start with Series one then work your way up. Lots of plot details.

Jake Durron

Oh I am... I just got done watching the "MOMMY!!!" episode lol

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.