Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Princess

Elections 04

Drake

Here are the current standings. The polls for the Eastern time zone have just been closed so these numbers will change drastically later on:

LIBERAL: 135 seats

CONSERVATIVE: 99 seats

NEW DEMOCRATS: 19 seats

BLOC QUEBECOIS: 54 seats

INDEPENDENT: 1 seat

Edited by Drake

Drake

For those confused....

Liberal Party = Democratic

Conservative = Republican

TheUnknown

So, it looks like the liberals are doing okay. I've heard they were looking at a slaughter. Is the worst to come or have they pulled it out?

(Note to self: Acheive a better understanding of Canadian government and politics.)

Drake

It first looked like a slaughter (according to my opinion). Then the early polls showed popularity at about even between the Libs and the Cons. Now the seat numbers appear to be leveling out as the votes are continuing to come in.

Out of the 308 seats in Parliament, 238 (or something around that) are in the Eastern, Central and Mountain time zones. All of the polls across the country are now closed so all we have to do is wait for the counting to finish.

Edited by Drake

TheUnknown

So, what do the Green and New Democratic Parties stand for? And does it look like anyone will get a majority? If not, who will form coalitions with who?

Drake

The numbers have changed but not by much...I'll put them up when I'm done this post.

To your first question, the Green Party is mostly for pro-environment, hippies and tree-huggers. The NDP is close, in their ideals, to the Liberals, except they're a bit more "green". (They're probably different on some other things but I'm not sure what they are).

It won't be a majority government this time around (it was a Liberal majority last time). The ones who will most likely team up will be the Liberals and the NDP. There will probably be some deals between the other parties too.

CorSec

NDP is mostly concerned with Labour issues and unions. It retains some leftist views though, so it can be likened to the Liberals. As far as I can tell at least...

Wait...I thought the Greens didn't get any seats? Peter Mansbridge told me the Marxist-Lenninists grabbed a riding in the Praries somewhere :p

Well Drake...The Tories grabbed our riding. But it was far closer than expected. A margin between the Libs and Tories of about 1 or 2%

Stronach is a fairly leftist Tory though...in comparison to some of those other extremists in the party. Overall though, with the Liberals still in power, I'm moderately happy.

Bushy

Moderately happy....

Amused, maybe?

:nutty:

Drake

Wait...I thought the Greens didn't get any seats? Peter Mansbridge told me the Marxist-Lenninists grabbed a riding in the Praries somewhere :p

They eventually lost to another party (Libs probably). I'll check on the CBC site to make sure.

Well Drake...The Tories grabbed our riding. But it was far closer than expected. A margin between the Libs and Tories of about 1 or 2%

I saw that. They talked about her several times during the night. Every time they did a piece, I would be like, "Hey, CorSec lives there." :p

Drake

My dad told me that the 1 seat (I thought was Green) is really an Independent candidate. He was apparently a part of a party, started running, left the party, then was sent to the hospital with cancer. The people still voted him in. :p

chozen

Getting Cancer results in votes.. Okay.. got that. *Prepares for his US presidential election*

Princess

Thank God that can never happen since you weren't born a US Citizen, Chozen

chozen

Says who? mwa ha ha ha ha

Andy

Why are the Conservatives called the Tories anyway? Hmm...

Edited by beeurd

CorSec

I was kinda moderately watching some sort of Ajax riding...cause it would come on first in the list. I wasn't really sure about which one your in though.

So the dude is independant? Hehe...crazy.

Too bad the Communists didn't get a seat though. I mean...Communists...in Canadian Parliament...what could be cooler!?

Princess

The constitution of the united states :p

Radioactive Isotope

thank goodness for the Constitution! :D

Drake

Why are the Conservatives called the Tories anyway? Hmm...

Conservatives....Conservatory....Tories...*shrugs*

chozen

The constitution of the united states :p

I was actually talking about me being born in the US or not. :p

And anyway.. Constitutions can be changed.. mwa ha ha ha ha

TheUnknown

I can't believe no one (including myself) has brought this up.

It's gonna be Kerry-Edwards versus Bush-Cheney.

Drake

I thought it was obvious, lol.

Tsl

Living in Ohio, supposedly the swing state for this election....I see nothing but ad campaign commercials.....

Please kill me? :puppydogeyes:

TheUnknown

Alright. But when I get around to it depends on which way you plan to vote.

(And at least they care about your state. At this point, no on gives a rat's ass about Georgia. *pouts*)

Princess

I am so kriffing sick of Bush's ads. I know that Kerry isn't telling us how he's going to do what he's going to do, but at least every ad that he runs isn't an attack on Bush like all of Bush's are on Kerry

Drake

Attacking people is what Bush does best. ;)

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.