Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Princess

The Sports Bar

James the Defender

I love baseball. Pitchers' duels are my favorite! I love the mechanics of the game. It's an intellectual game and--in the NL, at least--it pits minds against one another in managers to see who outfoxes the other. I love baseball.

Yeah. I sometimes liken baseball to a chess match.

I do, too. Trying to get into one's opponent's head, too, you know? Should I throw my off speed knight? Or my two seam pawn? Should I swing at that split-fingered queen or at that circle king? Outfielders sliding over like rooks after a batter has hit a knuckle-bishop. I love the game.

Drake

I just watched something regarding a new sport called chess-boxing. A round of boxing followed by a round of chess and so on. Win by either a KO or check.

Bad furday

I would not want to shake the hand of that circle king, without him washing it first :p

Ayingel

9 hits, 8 runs, and all in the first inning <3

Mara

I love baseball. Pitchers' duels are my favorite! I love the mechanics of the game. It's an intellectual game and--in the NL, at least--it pits minds against one another in managers to see who outfoxes the other. I love baseball.

Yeah. I sometimes liken baseball to a chess match.

I do, too. Trying to get into one's opponent's head, too, you know? Should I throw my off speed knight? Or my two seam pawn? Should I swing at that split-fingered queen or at that circle king? Outfielders sliding over like rooks after a batter has hit a knuckle-bishop. I love the game.

Aye. I feel like there's a lot more strategy and thinking going on in baseball than any other sport, for the most part.

I just watched something regarding a new sport called chess-boxing. A round of boxing followed by a round of chess and so on. Win by either a KO or check.

Almost as random as the biathlon in the winter Olympics, skiing and shooting rifles. :p

Edited by Mara

Mara

Good weekend of baseball (in Detroit at least)...

Sat. J.V. had a career high of 14 K's in his 10th win, and Sunday was the ceremony to retire Sparky's #11.

James the Defender

Josh Beckett aggravated an injury warming up for the All-Star Game.

This is insanity! They need to eliminate this game! If the Sox lose Beckett, they're toast... This is ridiculous! :mad:

TheUnknown

It's bullsith that Jair Jurrjens isn't starting for the NL. He leads the league in wins and ERA.

Princess

It a popularity contest. Just like the NHL AllStar game

TheUnknown

It's the managers that choose the starter pitchers.

James the Defender

It's bullsith that Jair Jurrjens isn't starting for the NL. He leads the league in wins and ERA.

Whereas, being a Phillies fan, I think Doc is the 2nd best pitcher in the NL (2nd to Cole Hamels), I didn't like him starting. I'd rather Jurrjens pitch two innings than Doc. I was upset Cliff Lee pitched two innings. I hate the game. It's so stupid it has to mean something so important as home field advantage in the World Series. :mad: And to top it all off many of the players voted in by the fans didn't even want to go... That's disrespectful, IMHO. Oh, but they'll still take the All Star bonus and go sit in the Bahamas...

Mara

I agree. Even if you're injured (or claiming "physical and emotional" drainage like Jeter) and not playing in the game, you should still go. I mean, can you have more fun sitting at home? :p

Anyway... to take the other side, I like the MLB All-star game. :p

Though, I kind of wish they did more things than just the home run derby. Like skills challenges like the NBA and NHL does.

James the Defender

I love skills challenges.

Princess

I am l uckt whrat i had a god apar tenr for beer pong. I no haz mad skillz

Ayingel

Beer pong is a valid sport. Let the conversations about such commence.

Princess

We boujdnec in tow in one game

Bad furday

*has something horrible to confess*

*sees eveyrone screaming*

I have never played beer pong. :p :shifty:

Princess

I played for the first time last night. Except I played with Mike's hard lemonade

Mara

Man, I don't think I've ever seen multiple plays from a single Tigers' game end up on SportsCenter's Top 10. Craaaaazy.

James the Defender

Welcome to the great state of Pence-sylvania! Hunter Pence as a Phillie is incredible... I know he may not be the biggest slugger ever and they may have overpaid (slightly) for him, but he's going to allow Howard to see more pitches and that's what it's all about. This trade was not about adding a slugger for the pure fact of adding a slugger. Yes, they needed a bat to hit left handed pitching, but Victorino has an OPS of over 1.100 against lefties--that's Pujols-esque. This trade was about getting Howard to see better pitches. There's a reason Howard only has 20 HR and they're all against right handers. Barring some weird, unexpected phenomenon, let's sit back and watch Howard crush some more balls.

So, the other day, Phillies rookie starter Vance Worley had his first career complete game against the Giants. My suggested newspaper headline (even though it's too long) was: "Giants New Suggested Strategy: Let the Rookie Win."

Edited by James the Defender

Mara

So... Sunday's match-up between Jered Weaver and Justin Verlander was... interesting. :p

Weaver got himself ejected in the 7th, and Verlander took a no-hitter into the 8th (even after a run scored).

Craaaaziness in Detroit.

Princess

Weaver deserved to get ejected. There was no reason for him to throw a ball at Avila's head like that

Mara

Guillen also shouldn't have provoked Weaver. Despite anything that may or may not have transpired before it.

Pandora

One of Daniel's friends said on facebook, "dang, the heat hasn't been this bad since the NBA finals!" :rofl:

Mara

Having an extra-inning game end in a walk-off HBP is sooooo disappointing. :p

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.