Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Uncle Du

The Blue Harvest Cantina

Mara

And elves.

James the Defender

Blame the Gungans! :p

Uncle Du

Annoying race. :p

Andy

Like those tricksy little hobbitses :shifty:

Uncle Du

I know I didn't post anything about it yesterday but while I was up late last night watching TV, someone finally decided to play some documentaries about 9/11 at, oh, 2 in the damn morning on the 12th. Every year at this time, I always think about where I was when the Towers fell. Over the years, I've found that I feel less and less about it for some reason, which I don't like. But when they showed the shows that they did, they had footage in there that I had never scene. It was all raw footage, taken by random people with cameras, and it sent chills down my spine. All of the emotions from that day 8 years ago came rushing back. I don't actually know the name of the documentary in particular, but it had a running clock and had specific times for when everything happened that day. Seeing it through the eyes of the people that were there, and not some crisp news camera, broke my heart all over again.

I can remember exactly where, and what I was doing. I was about 3500 miles away from the United States, on deployment in "defense" of our country. I can remember having the feeling that everything I was doing on that hunk of metal, in the middle of the Mediterranean, was for nothing. What the hell good was I doing on a warship while terrorists killed the people I had taken an oath to protect? It's something that still sticks with me to this day. Every time I see footage of those towers falling, I get choked up. And I get angry. What cowards to attack the citizens of a country that are just living their lives. Come after me! Come after we people who are trained to deal with it!! But they won't. Because they know they can't beat us. So they try to demoralize us. By killing our family's and loved ones. That's the only weapon they really have. Fear. But what they don't understand is, no matter what they do, they will never be able break us. And the ewoked up thing is: we won't be able to break them. It will never end. You can't kill an idea. It will always live on. Which makes all those deaths, all the more pointless.

The one thing that brought joy to my heart out of all of this, was how people ALL came together. Not just in the U.S., but around the world. Everyone came together, differences were set aside. And I think it's a shame that it seems like the majority of people have forgot about it. You would be hard pressed to find a person that wasn't affected at all by the events of that day. I know it's a sad fact of human nature that time dulls the feelings we have about something, but we can't. We need to remember, not only for the people that gave their lives to save others, but also remember how it brought us all together. No matter how you look at it, the people that destroyed the World Trade Center are our enemies. They will never listen to reason. They will not hesitate to kill any American, Canadian, Englishmen, any one that supports our "Western" way of life. These people will kill women and children, and people who would never pick up a weapon in their life to harm any one. Any one that doesn't believe in their way of life is meaningless to them. Look at the regard they hold for their own lives. The WANT to die. If they're so willing so sacrifice themselves, then they will do ANYTHING to take even one "infidel" with them. Our strength comes from our will to LIVE. Which is why they'll never beat us. Ever. No matter how many buildings they drop, or planes they highjack, or people they kill.

I'll leave you all with this...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tXlFptibtDY

Chickenman

I was in the first week of 6th grade. The teachers had acted weird all day and finally my band teacher explained to us what happened last period. It was such a surreal feeling. Like it was a beautiful not quite autumn day, but you could feel this weird pressure in the air. A year before or so I'd begun my interest in the military, and so not only was I right in the sweet spot between child and teenager that had to grow up in the post 9/11 world, but I'd already had this kind of odd interest in warfare, so I think I kind of had this understanding of what was going on that none of my peers did. And I completely agree about that unity thing. I really miss it. I mean, there was this real sense of community, not just nationwide, but even internationally. There was a French newspaper emblazoned with the words "We Are All Americans" as it's headline, to my recollection. I mean, I think the upswing in Patriotism did tend to border on Nationalism at a certain point. But when you took away the flag waving and country singing and bumper stickers about non-running colors, I think there was this beautiful sense of people looking out for one another. I think the biggest tragedy of this decade was the loss of that feeling. How quickly it was replaced by political bullsith and division. Now we're about as divided a nation as ever (barring that whole Civil War thingy.) I could make a statement about why that sense of community was ruined, but I won't. I'm just saddened that it's gone and that it took a tragedy to bring it about.

• Upvote 1

Uncle Du

I think there was this beautiful sense of people looking out for one another. I think the biggest tragedy of this decade was the loss of that feeling.

You're absolutely right. And I have to say, and this is in all seriousness, that is one of the most moving statements I have ever heard Chicken. It is a tragedy. Well put my friend.

• Upvote 1

Princess

I'm so freaking bored!

Uncle Du

That's why drinking was invented.

Bad furday

*hands Prin pencil and paper, and tells her to draw him something* :p

Now you won't be bored!

Uncle Du

*chugs a beer*

Awesome, got disqualified from the corrections job cause of my f-in eyesight. I'm 20/20 with corrective lenses, but they want you to be 20/100 or better without them on. Gimme a break.

Bad furday

Nooooo!!!! :(

Princess

That sucks babe

Radioactive Isotope

that's discriminating against us blind folk. :rant: :p

Uncle Du

That's what I'm sayin! ;)

Apparently my eye sight is good enough for the Armed Forces, but not for state work. :p

Mara

I probably wouldn't qualify then either. :p

Uncle Du

So, after I get back from my medical thingy this morning, I mow the lawn and begin to set up this fenced in dog kennel that we got. I get it all framed and everything, and I go to unroll the chain link and realize that we're missing a roll. So, I put up the roll that we have and I was gonna run to Lowe's to get the rest of it. Well, Nat called her Dad (who works there) and he called his manager, and the guy decided to hook us up with the better kennel for free, cause the one we got is outta stock. Guess what the catch is? I have to go outside and take the whole damn thing apart before it gets dark. :p

The things I do for my wife and her dogs. ;)

And I will be drinking beer the whole time too. :D

Princess

*snickers* Gotta love being by the in-laws, huh?

Uncle Du

The upside to it is, I get free dinner damn near four nights a week. ;)

And I'm still drinking beer. I have ten left and they will all be gone before I go to bed. I need a good buzz right now.

Princess

Everybody loves Du instead of everybody loves Raymond...

Uncle Du

Bah!!

Princess

Search your heart, you know it to be true

Andy

You can also search your feelings, too.

Uncle Du

:roll:

:p

Princess

*buys a round of drinks for everyone*

Here's to Ezri. He's over at SW.com now