Mara

Solo: A Star Wars Story

41 posts in this topic

Yeah, saw that. As a mentor for Han. Someone who is some sort of criminal. But he couldn't/wouldn't say much more about it haha. Disney, ya know.

I'm betting he's another smuggler or something like that.

Harrelson has apparently been confirmed as Garrish Shrike

http://screenrant.com/star-wars-woody-harrelson-garris-shrike-han-solo/

It's not clear yet whether they are sticking to the EU version of the character or doing something of their own. I'd imagine that since they are keeping the name they will keep at least shine of the back story.

Edit:-

Apparently Pablo Hidalgo has cast doubt on this;

Edited by Andy

Hmm.  Well, if it's true, it'd be pretty cool to have another Legends character canonized, even if it would be a different version most likely.

I went looking for the Variety interview, to see which question Pabs might be referring to, but they won't let me read the full article without subscribing. :p

Either way, we will find out soon enough, one or way or another.

Yeah, stupid paywalls. :p

So, Donald Glover and Billy Dee Williams were spotted having lunch together as filming for the Han Solo movie gets going.

I imagine he was there to provide a bit of direction to his younger self, but apparently he has been saying he's not done playing Lando himself yet.

Now, given how TFA mirrored ANH, it wouldn't surprise me if Lando turned up halfway through The Last Jedi.

Either that or the Han Solo film could be told as a flashback with Billy Dee and Harrison Ford appearing briefly, but that's just wild speculation.

https://news.google.com/news/amp?caurl=http%3A%2F%2Fmovieweb.com%2Famp%2Fhan-solo-movie-billy-dee-williams-lando-return%2F#a-53ce2fcf-b1cd-4348-9429-ff3337908f59

That flashback idea would be awesome !

(if it takes place)

Would make the movie that much better.

It would be cool...

I imagine Lando sitting in a cantina in the aftermath of The Force Awakens telling people tales of his old friend Han Solo.

Maybe they should have hired me as a writer. ;)

Wow I am so out of touch with the SW world at this point.  Far cry from 17 years ago lol.

I was thinking a flashback could be cool for this, too. Or at least, just a bit of a flash-forward at the end with 'current' Han and Lando or something. (Well, not current current... but you know what I mean ha).

And I know there are some fans who think Finn is Lando's son. (Because the only black guys have to be related, right? :p)

Edited by Mara

So I saw Thandie Newton is apparently in talks to join the film.

I'm not sure how I feel about that. I don't like her. (For a very silly but long-harbored reason). :p

I don't think I'm familiar with her work, although  I see she is in Westworld which I have been meaning to get around to watching.

I first saw her on ER, like, probably 20 years ago or so now.  That b stole Dr. Carter, and I hated her. :p

Plus she's in my least favorite Mission: Impossible movie.

I am kind of pulling for her to be a CGI/mo-cap character if she gets cast. :p

Well, a bit of a directorial shake-up, eh?

Updating this to the official title...

• Similar Content

• Solo
      in Movies
      Solo: A Star Wars Story is the second of the Star Wars anthology films.
      The film follows a young Han Solo and his mentor. Lando Calrissian and Chewbacca have also been confirmed.
      The film was due to be directed by Phil Lord and Christopher Miller, but the pair left the project due to creative differences during production and were replaced by Ron Howard.
    • Star Wars Movie Release Schedule
      in Star Wars Saga
      The Force Awakens brought Star Wars back to the big screen in 2015, and 2016's Rogue One also proved a big hit at the box office. Lucasfilm and Disney have big plans to continue the saga across all forms of media, but for many it is these blockbuster hits that we look forward to most of all.
      This list will be updated regularly to show details of the upcoming instalments of the Star Wars saga on the big screen.

15 Dec 2017 - Star Wars: The Last Jedi
      Director: Rian Johnson
      Starring: Daisy Ridley, John Boyega, Adam Driver, Oscar Isaac, Andy Serkis, Lupita Nyong'o, Gwendoline Christie, Mark Hamill, Carrie Fisher, Peter Mayhew, Anthony Daniels, Domhnall Gleeson, Benicio del Toro, Laura Dern, Kelly Marie Tran.
      Synopsis: Episode VIII continues the saga from where Star Wars: The Force Awakens left off. Little is known about the story, which is a well guarded secret. The title was announced in January, and a teaser trailer was revealed at Celebration 2017. 

25 May 2018 - Han Solo Star Wars Story
      Directors: Phil Lord and Chris Miller
      Starring: Alden Ehrenreich, Donald Glover, Emilia Clarke, Woody Harrelson, Thandie Newton, Phoebe Waller-Bridge, Joonas Suotamo, Michael K Williams, Ian Kenny.
      Synopsis: The story will focus on the early career of Han Solo, with Lando Calrissian and Chewbacca also appearing. Woody Harrelson is said to have been cast in a mentoring role. Filming began in January 2017 at Pinewood Studios, UK.

24 May 2019 - Star Wars: Episode IX
      Director: Colin Trevorrow
      Starring: Unknown
      Synopsis: Will continue the saga from Star Wars: The Last Jedi, and will likely conclude the story arc of the sequel trilogy. Filming is set to commence in July 2017.

2020 - Unknown Star Wars Story
      Director: Unknown, previously Josh Trank
      Starring: Unknown
      Synopsis: This project has long been rumoured to be based on the story of fan-favourite bounty hunter Boba Fett, although nothing solid has been confirmed.
    • Rogue One
      in Movies
      Rogue One (subtitled "A Star Wars Story"), is the first in a planned series of Star Wars spin-off films, originally referred to as "anthology films". 
      Rogue One is set shortly before the events of Star Wars Episode IV: A New Hope, and will follow a group of rebel spies as they attempt to steal the plans for the Galactic Empire's first Death Star superweapon.
      Filming took place at Elstree Studies near London between August 2015 and February 2016, with reshoots taking place in June 2016. Alexandre Desplat, who previously worked with Edwards on Godzilla was originally slated to score the film, but due to production delays he was no longer available and was replaced by Michael Giacchino once he had finished up on Marvel's Doctor Strange.
      Notably, Rogue One does not include an opening crawl in contrast to the main series of movies.

Cast
      Felicity Jones as Jyn Erso Diego Luna as Cassian Andor Ben Mendelsohn as Orson Krennic, the Empire's Director of Advanced Weapons Research Donnie Yen as Chirrut Îmwe Mads Mikkelsen as Galen Erso Alan Tudyk as K-2SO, a former Imperial enforcer droid Riz Ahmed as Bodhi Rook Jiang Wen as Baze Malbus Forest Whitaker as Saw Gerrera Guy Henry as Grand Moff Tarkin Jonathan Aris as Senator Jebel Valen Kane as Lyra Erso Genevieve O'Reilly as Mon Mothma Jimmy Smits as Bail Organa James Earl Jones as the voice of Darth Vader Although Guy Henry voices Grand Moff Tarkin, Peter Cushing's likeness has been recreated through CGI face replacement.
      The character Saw Gerrera is a veteran of the Clone Wars, and has been previously in Star Wars: The Clone Wars, and had been mentioned in Star Wars Rebels and the novel Star Wars: Bloodline.
      Genevieve O'Reilly and Jimmy Smits are both reprising their roles from Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith, although O'Reilly's appearance was relegated to the deleted scenes.
    • Han Solo cast - who's who?
      in Han Solo
      The Han Solo spin-off film is currently in production for release in 2018. Although we are still a long way from having any details of the storyline, we do know that we will see a young Han Solo in action.
      So far four actors have been confirmed, so let's take a look at our new Han Solo and the people who will be joining everybody's favourite scoundrel.

Alden Ehrenreich - Han Solo
      Taking up the mantle of the eponymous smuggler, Han Solo is the young Californian actor Alden Ehrenreich. He was chosen after a lengthy casting period that aimed to find an actor who could capture the spirit of the character made famous by Harrison Ford.
      Ehrenreich was first discovered by Steven Spielberg, which led to several television roles before he had his big screen debut in Francis Ford Coppola's Tetro. He later went on to star in Beautiful Creatures, Stoker, and the Coen brothers comedy Hail, Caesar!
      On 5 May 2015 he was confirmed as being cast in the lead role of a young Han Solo in the second of the Star Wars spin-off movies.

Donald Glover - Lando Calrissian
      Joining Han Solo as the irrepressible Lando Calrissian is Donald Glover, who has already had a varied career in entertainment having made a name for himself in almost every avenue of show business.
      Glover has written for NBC comedy 30 Rock and had an acting role in Community. He is also due to appear in Marvel's Spider-man: Homecoming superhero reboot. Incidentally, Stan Lee supported Glover for the lead role in Sony's The Amazing Spider-man.
      Glover has also released several rap albums as Childish Gambino, and also DJs and produces electronic music under the name of mcDJ.
      On 21 October 2016 he was confirmed as being cast as Lando Calrissian in the Han Solo movie.

Emilia Clarke
      Playing an unknown role in the Han Solo movie is Emilia Clarke, who shot to fame as Danaerys Targaryen in HBO's television adaption of Game of Thrones.
      Clarke recently starred as Sarah Connor in 2015's Terminator: Genisys, and had the lead role in the 2016 worldwide success Me before You. She was also voted Sexiest Woman Alive by Esquire in 2015.
      In November 2016 she was confirmed as part of the Han Solo movie's cast, although no details have been released about the type of role she has.

Woody Harrelson
      Han Solo's mentor will be played by Woody Harrelson, who should be a stranger to nobody with his impressive list of acting credits since the 1980s which include Zombieland, The Hunger Games, and Now You See Me. His first role was as the bartender in the classic television comedy Cheers.
      Outside of acting, he is a vegan, environmentalist, and also considers himself an anarchist.
      He was confirmed for the Han Solo movie in early January 2017, and has said in interviews that his character will be a criminal as well as Han Solo's mentor.
    • Rogue One: A Star Wars Story
      in Star Wars Saga
      This topic corresponds to an entry on the Star Wars Timeline and is the official topic for general discussions specific to that title.

Click here to view the entry