Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Du

Swine Flu

Uncle Du

According to facebook I will survive the swine flu outbreak. :p

Mara

Well, if Facebook tells you so.... :p

Uncle Du

:rofl:

Winters

There isn't a "doIHaveTheN1H1Virus.com"...

Andy

Well, it's H1N1 for a start. And there are lots of different types of H1N1 anyway... I think normal flu is H1N1 too.

Uncle Du

Brumak

Fabius-Pompey High School has been closed this week due to a supposed 1-5 cases of the outbreak, the district in which Du's and I parents live. Definitely a little unnerving. Oh, hey everyone :p

Bad furday

Watch out, he's got the swine flu! Or H1N1! :p

Uncle Du

Didn't know about that.

Brumak

Yeah, last week one girl was reported as having the swine flu, but different news agencies are saying that there is a reported case and some are saying there aren't. From what I gathered though, it takes 10-15 days to show the signs of the symptoms, and here FP decides to close for the week. So, when they come back to school next week they could potentially have a nasty outbreak if the student(s) is found positive for carrying it.

Tsl

Or, if he does have swine flu...

*gets out can of Lysol*

Noooo! Don't kill it! You'll ruin my vacation plans!

Princess

I shall have to take a picture of the picture we have hanging up at work

Bad furday

Hehe :D

So Prinny....is working in a hospital anything like Scrubs?

Uncle Du

I was wondering the same thing. Out of all the medical shows out there, which one is the most like real life?

Radioactive Isotope

none of 'em. the doctors don't do anything except walk around an drink coffee. :p

Uncle Du

Sounds like my kinda job. :p

Andy

none of 'em. the doctors don't do anything except walk around an drink coffee. :p

So by default, Scrubs is probably the most accurate then? :p

James the Defender

Is that why it took the doc two hours to see me in the ER...

Tsl

In real life docs walk in and look at the patient for like 2 minutes tops and then dictate a note and leave. That's if they ever even go in the room, sometimes they just ask the nurses how the patient is doing and then write a note saying whatever the nurse just said. The only procedures they actually do are intubations (sometimes, usually respiratory therapy does it), central line placements (but only perc lines, IV nurses do PICCs), LPs, chest tubes, and needle decompression type things like for tension pneumos or pericarditis.

Docs never start regular IVs, or do anything in a code other than give med orders. I've seen residents do some chest compressions in long codes, but that's about it.

They are busy though. They may only spend like 2 minutes per patient, but they have a whole hospital plus usually a clinic full of patients to see, plus they have to do rounds with their residents, usually they have a lot of meetings and things. Residents have the same workload, plus they have to write all the orders and things because the attendings are allergic to writing orders or something.

In conclusion, most of the stuff you see docs doing on TV are nursing jobs :p

Winters

Sounds like the episode of Scrubs that JD tried to spend more time with his patients..

Princess

Yeah, I have a laugh every time I see a doctor on TV drawing their own labs and especially in the case of House, running their own labs. Besides oncologists in looking at slides, the last time I've seen a doctor in the lab was the night one ER doctor thought his patient might have scabies and wanted to look at it under the scope with us

Uncle Du

Maybe I'll be that guy and go back to college and then go through med school. At this rate, I could be a resident by the time I'm 37. :p

Andy

News has died down a bit on this, but the amount of confirmed infected people is above 13,000 worldwide now.

A primary school in Birmingham here has just issued a statement confirming that 44 people, both pupils and teachers, have been diagnosed with it. That's a bit of a big chunk of people. lol

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.