Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Uncle Du

Swine Flu

Winters

Blast it... had to be a Texan... not some snooty designer baby from California... or maybe someone not from Texas... like Wyoming (sorry if anyone of you guys is from WY) no one really cares about Wyoming! I mean... they have more US senators than US Representatives!

Uncle Du

Prin, what kinda mask do you wear for dealing with TB patients?

Drake

Blast it... had to be a Texan... not some snooty designer baby from California... or maybe someone not from Texas... like Wyoming (sorry if anyone of you guys is from WY) no one really cares about Wyoming! I mean... they have more US senators than US Representatives!

So you are heartless after-all.

Poor baby. :(

Winters

Yes, poor baby, I'm more-of talking about where it is...

Texas isn't having the best PR of late... with out governor saying that we should maybe break off from the Union and the idiots who are actually agreeing and thinking it is a "VERY GOOD" idea... which led to Texas bashing. Plus, I believe it was Texas that started the Swine Flu in the US, so we don't need more PR, plus it'll look like that we didn't do everything to save that baby... because the world thinks us as hicks that don't know how to work a cellphone... Sorry, that was my "ok, I get it, Texas isn't THAT great" rant...

Uncle Du

The things that the governor said were taken out of context. What he was really talking about was the states sovereignty. That the federal government is imposing too much control over the states. And I have to agree.

Andy

Smooth.

But seriously, they also think that those masks are pretty much useless in the grand scheme of things anyway. :p

If infected people wear droplet masks, the droplets from coughing and sneezing will not spread. We just got an email at work that according to the CDC guidelines if we're collecting specimens for testing, we're supposed to wear special masks that you wear when dealing with TB patients and we have to do all our testing under biohazard hoods

Yes, if infected people wear the masks. But every Tom, Dick and Harry walking around the streets wearing them aren't going to be particularly well protected unless the people who already have it are. ;)

Even the World Health Organisation advises against mass distribution of masks, but says they should be used in health centres by staff and the patient when a case of swine 'flu is suspected.

And FYI, the baby in Texas who died was Mexican and had recently returned to the US from Mexico.

Is there any cases of the disease spreading out of Mexico? Because it appears that all affected people I have heard of have visited Mexico recently.

There are now 5 confirmed cases in the UK, all of whom recently returned from Mexico and are responding well to treatment.

Winters

I believe it has to do with the poor air quality of Mexico, namely Mexico City...

Radioactive Isotope

And FYI, the baby in Texas who died was Mexican and had recently returned to the US from Mexico.

came here to mention that. personally, i think it's media fearmongering and i'm not sure a Mexican baby who happened to die in Texas counts as the "first US death."

it is sad, though. :(

Andy

Just noticed I said that wrong though, he hadn't "recently returned to the US" he was visiting relatives in the US.

Winters

In politics, that's HUGE... returned vs visiting... good thing you're not in politics Andy...

Uncle Du

LOL

Drake

Then it's too bad those reporters and pundits are. There's a big difference between saying "First US death" and "First death in the US".

Uncle Du

Everyone wants to split hairs about it, but come on, it's all the same. We're all humans at risk.

Andy

Well, the WHO has upgraded the pandemic risk to level 5, due to the case in Spain where a human-to-human transfer of the virus has occurred.

http://www.who.int/csr/disease/avian_influ...e/en/index.html

Phase 5 is characterized by human-to-human spread of the virus into at least two countries in one WHO region. While most countries will not be affected at this stage, the declaration of Phase 5 is a strong signal that a pandemic is imminent and that the time to finalize the organization, communication, and implementation of the planned mitigation measures is short.

The WHO website doesn't seem to be the most up to date resource available; but I suspect (and hope) this is because they are busy with more important things... Like tracking disease outbreaks. :p

As with most major world events, the BBC has created a new section of it's news website for the outbreak:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/world/...flu/default.stm

Bad furday

At Kohl's ( The K Hole!) last night, there was a 20 page print out on every table in the break room telling how you as a kohl's worker can protect yourself

against the swine flu. :p

Corporate has to make it look like they're doing something. ;)

Princess

Prin, what kinda mask do you wear for dealing with TB patients?

An N-95 respirator. Looks like this, you wear them when dealing with patients or possible infectious specimens.

41MYGGJDA8L._SL500_AA280_.jpg

Anywho, I was reading the CDC guidelines at work last night, and they do recommend that anyone showing symptoms be placed in isolation and if they have to be in an area where they are not in isolation, they are to wear a surgical mask.

And the baby that died was originally from Mexico City, so I'm guessing that he wasn't that healthy to begin with. I hate to say it, but he was probably malnourished and already having an uphill battle to fight off any infection.

It's funny though, more people die from the regular flu every year than have even been infected with the Swine Flu this year. Has the media mentioned that? No. Or the fact that more people die of car accidents? Nope. This is being blown way out of proportion in my humble opinion.

Winters

It's the media, they exist to blow things out of proportion.

Bad furday

It's funny though, more people die from the regular flu every year than have even been infected with the Swine Flu this year. Has the media mentioned that? No. Or the fact that more people die of car accidents? Nope. This is being blown way out of proportion in my humble opinion.

That was the general consensus at work last night

Tsl

Ugh...let the flooding of every ED in the world begin! *whacks head into nearest wall*

Uncle Du

An N-95 respirator. Looks like this, you wear them when dealing with patients or possible infectious specimens.

Gotcha, thanks.

My wife has been throwing up and stuff a lot (all pregnancy related, I'm sure of it) and I'm just waiting for someone to say it... :p

Chickenman

It's the media, they exist to blow things out of proportion.

And here I thought it existed to inform the people so they could make intelligent decisions in the democratic process.

Oh, whoops, it's the 21st century. My bad. Tell me more about the latest celebrity trial/American Idol results. Please.

And yeah, you know something isn't a problem when my mom isn't worrying about it. The woman thinks her shadow is contagious. I guess it's that she works in the medical field, so she knows how blown out of proportion these things get. But she also latches onto every medical fear she comes across. So this is like...mega non-issue.

Andy

Officials in Scotland say the couple who where the first in the UK to be diagnosed with swine flu have now been discharged after recovering. They say there is still one probable case of swine flu in Scotland awaiting results of medical tests.

Edit: Another case has just been confirmed. I presume it is the person who was expected to be diagnosed with it, who had been in contact with the Scottish couple who first contracted the virus.

Edited by Andy

Uncle Du

OMG, and they're OK?! :p

Uncle Du

So, I took Nat to the ER this morning for severe dehydration (she's ok, don't worry) and I was really surprised to see the place was dead. Apparently people are acting pretty level-headed around here. I asked one of the nurses if they had seen any action, and she said they've one or two people that were all scared, but that was it. So, there is hope, hope that the public isn't listening to the media as much as they used to.

Chickenman

That's also dangerous though. As I said before, a free press is a cornerstone of democracy. And because today's media is just so inept, it hurts actual quality journalism.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.