Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Mara

Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi (Spoiler free as of Ascension)

Drake

Don't blame the characters, though. Ben is supposed to be mature, intelligent and methodical in the way he does things. Sure, he's a teenager, but his past experiences have grown him. The way he is written by certain authors makes it seem like he wasn't tortured by Jacen or that he didn't get trained by the Galactic Alliance Guard, among other things.

Mara

I agree... I mean, he IS 16-17, but he's also not a normal 16-17-year-old. Though I don't quite have as strong feelings against Golden as the rest of you, I do think she's focusing too much on the "normal" male teenager Ben.

Drake

I agree. She isn't as bad as I made her sound. It was just such a stark transition from Allston's writing to hers. Allston wrote Ben as he should be and then suddenly Golden pulls him back down. It was hard on the brain. :p

Mara

Aye. But I'd prefer her to Karen Traviss any day. :p

Drake

I like Traviss. Scratch that, I like the Mandalorians. I don't like how far she pushed them down our throats.

Bad furday

I liked how the Republic Commando books told everything from the clone's perspectives, and in turn, made you sympathize with the clones and hate the Jedi. It was refreshing.

Princess

Ahem. Talk about that in the RC thread

Drake

One thing that I just remembered.... I think it was in Backlash or whichever book the Mandos attacked the Jedi Temple. When Jaina fought them off, why didn't she use shatterpoint on them?

Radioactive Isotope

Probably because continuity is for n00bz. :p

Drake

True. Also, am I the only one that's annoyed at how easily angered the Jedi Council is? I mean, I know that tensions are high but they're Jedi Masters for Force sake. They make Anakin Skywalker's outbursts during the Council meetings in RotS look calm in comparison.

Drake

Started reading Ascension this morning and it's pretty good! So far, it's pretty much just been from the Sith perspective and their dealing with Abeloth. From the way things are looking, through Gavar Khai's point of view, they're leading up to Vestara turning light side. I'm guessing either by the end of this book or early on in Apocalypse.

Either that or a monumental betrayal. I'm an optimist, though, so I'm hoping for the best.

Edited by Drake

Princess

Oh sithspit, I have another book to go buy. BTW spoiler tags D!

Drake

*glances at the title of the thread*

I believe spoilers have been permitted. Besides, what I wrote was speculation.

Drake

Since I'll probably get yelled at DESPITE the thread clearly being labelled as containing spoilers, I will spoiler tag...

Halfway through the book and I called Vestara going light side. I thought that the fight against her father and, his subsequent death at her hands, could have been drawn out a little more. Even though there was an exchange of emotion from father and daughter, I would have liked to see more. A stickler for a positive ending, I would have liked some kind of redemption. Like have Gavar dying in her arms saying that he forgives her or something, instead of how she slashed him through from shoulder to hip. I guess Golden wanted to convey just how cold and driven the Sith really were and how far into Abeloth's thrall Gavar had gone.

I really liked what Jaina said to Vestara upon her killing Gavar. She talked about how she had to kill her brother and that, even though she missed him and wished that there had been another way, it had been necessary and was, in the end, a good thing.

Also, Luke rolling in to Coruscant and declaring the Jedi Order a separate entity from the GA...and that they were all leaving the planet for good? Crazy.

Mara

Ascension is out already? Crap, I had the date wrong... *rushes to library web site*

Drake

It's all good. Golden finally managed to spell Kyp's last name right in this book! Hooray!

Edit: ...although, this part I'm reading now has a lot of switched around names for ship classes. A TIE Defender becomes a Destroyer then back again. An Interdictor becomes an Interceptor. Yeesh.

Edited by Drake

Radioactive Isotope

*sigh* Are the editors even paying attention? I mean, really.

Drake

I've pretty much only noticed the major things like that in Christie Golden's books. And the errors I was pointing out all took place in the same chapter. :|

Princess

Darth EU Continuity Error strikes again!

Drake

More like his apprentice...Darth Fail Editor.

Drake

*frowns*

Finished it. Hated the ending. Vestara turned to the dark side again when she murdered Jedi Natua Wan to save Ben. Now she's keeping it a secret. Darn it! Maybe she'll go back again in the next book...

And, oh boy, the Sith have infiltrated Coruscant and the Senate and Abeloth is Head of State. Fantastic. Should make for a grand ol' battle when the Jedi return to ROFLstomp their planet back.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.