Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Mara

Star Wars: Fate of the Jedi (Spoiler free as of Ascension)

James the Defender

I don't think someone is scheduled to die, but, it's SW...someone is bound to die.

Yeah, Zekk would be nice. I guess it's cause I'm newly wed, but I like the love story of Jaina and Jag, and I hate the triangle thing that went on in Legacy.

Mara

Heh, true. It would be a boring 9-book series compared to Legacy of the Force, then. :p

Agreed, here. I never really liked Zekk, even before he started hitting on Jaina.

Otherwise I can't really think of anyone who isn't a major character.

OH WAIT. They can kill off Boba Fett!

James the Defender

I like it! And all the other Mandos for that matter...

Mara

Nah, Boba is fine for now.

He should have stayed in the sarlacc.

James the Defender

lol

Drake

Boba Fett is one of the best characters in all of Star Wars and the Mandalorians are up there with him. With the way the Lucas Empire is shafting Traviss, I wouldn't be surprised if they canned the Mandos permanently. A shame.

Mara

Boba Fett WAS a great character. Now he's just an old man clinging to his past.

James the Defender

That may be true, and I don't like him too much for that, kinda like how I don't like Brett Favre with the Vikings. However, I have to say the same thing about Fett as I did with Favre, "The dude can still kick some rear."

James the Defender

Backlash scheduled to come out today...Borders has it. Going to go get it tonight.

Everytime I read that Zekk is slated to be in some book of the FotJ I howl, "Nooooooooo!" like Vader in Ep. III, lol

Edited by James the Defender

Mara

Finally!

I'll have to check the library. For the longest time, they didn't have it on order.

James the Defender

Next book is out in May...then a wait until DECEMBER for the one after that!

Got Backlash!

Edited by James the Defender

James the Defender

I finished! I was wondering if I needed spoiler tags since the thread title contains a spoiler warning, but I'll make them anyway.

I enjoyed it very much! Best book in the series thus far. I liked how Alston added the scene from A New Hope before the attempt on Jag. The book moved quickly, a fast read, when I got the chance to read. I enjoyed Vestara's sneakiness, but the n again she is a Sith, and how quickly the nightsisters were destroyed, minus Halliava. The next book should be interesting, and is due out in May.

Of course, we should have known why it was delayed: Aaron's heart attack. He did a great job with this book.

Oh, and putting Zekk there, in that situation, was perfect. Keep him away from Jaina, but we'll see if Denning can resist that...I hope he does. Mandos were repulsed, that was great, and Daala is succumbing to the traps of her office. Niathal's exit was grim...I thought it was out of character, but it also seemed necessary. Besides Niathal's death, the only thing I didn't like was how the skills of people like Luke, Jag, and Han were flaunted as being almost super-human, whereas everyone around them is playing subordinate to their awesomely superior airs. Oh, well, great book anyway. I hope Dyon survives the series: I'm beginning to like his character.

Mara

Yes, you do. :p

I'll be finishing soon, though, so, yay!

Oh, and I updated the first post with images for the next two novels, Allies and Vortex.

James the Defender

I just finished reading the excerpt from Allies

My thoughts:

Christie Golden is an awful author! I wish Alston or even Dening was handling this book! It would be so well written! She has Luke way too defensive and doctrinal about the Sith. Obviously, he should be, but even he would know he has to handle it more diplomatically. It reminds me of how the Old Republic Jedi would talk and teach about the Sith. It's distasteful. And, the relationship between Ben and Vestara is entering into Romeo and Juliet strata, but much more tacky. It's happening too fast. We all saw it coming...but this is ridiculous.

Well...all that after just a few pages. In the preface for the preview it said the final version may be different...I hope it is...for its own sake. This book and its subject matter are delicate. They needed to be woven together properly and handled with care.

I instantly saw a difference between Alston and Golden... And using Godfather quotes...tasteless, IMHO.

Mara

I finished! I was wondering if I needed spoiler tags since the thread title contains a spoiler warning, but I'll make them anyway.

I enjoyed it very much! Best book in the series thus far. I liked how Alston added the scene from A New Hope before the attempt on Jag. The book moved quickly, a fast read, when I got the chance to read. I enjoyed Vestara's sneakiness, but the n again she is a Sith, and how quickly the nightsisters were destroyed, minus Halliava. The next book should be interesting, and is due out in May.

Of course, we should have known why it was delayed: Aaron's heart attack. He did a great job with this book.

Oh, and putting Zekk there, in that situation, was perfect. Keep him away from Jaina, but we'll see if Denning can resist that...I hope he does. Mandos were repulsed, that was great, and Daala is succumbing to the traps of her office. Niathal's exit was grim...I thought it was out of character, but it also seemed necessary. Besides Niathal's death, the only thing I didn't like was how the skills of people like Luke, Jag, and Han were flaunted as being almost super-human, whereas everyone around them is playing subordinate to their awesomely superior airs. Oh, well, great book anyway. I hope Dyon survives the series: I'm beginning to like his character.

Okay, finally finished it. (Took longer 'cause I was making it last till my next book came).

Anyway...

I have to say that this is the best one of the series so far, and so I agree with you. The whole chasing around after Jacen's 5-year mystery sabbatical places was getting old and boring. I'm glad we got back to some real action in these books. Back to what I loved about reading these SW books in the first place.

I actually thought the interjection of Zekk and Taryn was a little odd, but I suppose that's due to the Zekk book being canceled and these authors having to do something with him. Though, I did expect a little more than "hey, by the way, he's back, but we're not telling how or why." :p Perhaps later. Perhaps Zekk will actually have dialogue!

Speaking of dialogue, in the first part of the book I felt what was written for Threepio was a little... inauthentic. I mean, reading it, I couldn't really imagine Threepio saying those things. I dunno. It did get better as the chapters went on.

I think I'm beginning to like Daala now. I dunno, I wasn't a fan earlier, but now... I guess I empathize with her a little bit. She's almost human now. :p

Uh, Luke IS super-human. ;) Nah... I do get what you mean. And it's been happening for a while now, I think. Like minor characters aren't allowed to be as good as the original canons? Meh.

Oh, and I agree with Dyon.

I thought the ending was a little abrupt, even for a cliffhanger-type of thing. Anyway, looking forward to see what happens next with Luke and Ben and Dyon captured by the Sith (I'm assuming).

And seeing who the "allies" are in the next book. My theory-- Daala and the GA finally come to terms with the Jedi.

I hope that's everything I wanted to say... I didn't take notes. :p

Looking forward to Allies. Can't wait!

Oh, and I am purposely ignoring your take on the excerpt, because I didn't read it. :p

James the Defender

lol, well, it shows who the allies are. :p

Mara

Well, then I suppose we can't discuss it unless you had an idea about it before you read the excerpt. :p

Though, of course, the cover art of the book could be a clue, too, but I don't think those are always so obvious clues. :p

James the Defender

I shall say nothing, :p

Mara

Despite my feelings for Luke... it's kind of unfair for him to get two covers (at least, the rest aren't done) in this series. :p

Anyway, back to Backlash, shall we? :p

Edited by Mara

Mara

I'm only partway through Allies... and a few things are bothering me about it. :p

But I shall reserve my complete thoughts until I've finished. They may or may not resolve themselves (or get worse).

There's one plot in particular that I don't very much like.. and I'm afraid for the way it might be going. And this would be the Vestara/Ben one. I have to say I don't like Vestara very much, and I hope that Ben and Luke don't try to turn her to the light just so Ben can have a girlfriend. I don't like them together, and it's not just because she's Sith. She's just overall annoying, and I don't want him to end up with her.

Another one involves Jaina and Jag. And well, Jaina is, like, what, around 35 or something? She's acting like a child over half her age. She needs a good slap to the face or something.

Hopefully after this book, and the next/last four... I'll be happier. But right now I'm annoyed. :p

Mara

Okay, I have finished!

*stabs Callista, repeatedly*

Waiting to discuss it with y'all. :p

James the Defender

I'm waiting for it to come in from another library.

Mara

That sucks. :/

There's like 30 copies in my library system. :p

Princess

I finished this morning. All I have to say is...

Callista? Really, how many times are they going to bring her back?

Mara

I finished this morning. All I have to say is...

Callista? Really, how many times are they going to bring her back?

Agreed.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.