Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

Chapter 1: Baptism By Fire

Rogue

Layla found herself slowing her pace, surprised by these words.

Don't! He's using one of you're people's own tactics against you. If you fall for a Zeltron Lead you should be ashamed of yourself. A Zeltron Lead was a discussion tactic in which one party made a rude or disparaging comment about an aspect under discussion, in an attempt to trick the other party into revealing more than they wished to divulge. It was something she was particularly good at, and something she had in reserve for missions. But if she fell for one herself she'd be ashamed.

She fixed him with her best skeptical stare, her hands placed firmly on her hips. "Oh really? And...just what makes you think this Zeltron damsel is me, babe? I dunno if you noticed, but there are a lot of Zeltron's out there that fit that description, say...ninety percent of our race?" She poked him in the chest with one finger. "You'd better watch yourself throwing accusations like that around."

Drake

Takeshi couldn't help but smile. Good. I like this one.

"I have no intention of pulling a Lead on you, my dear. Yes, yes...I am well aware of your people and their tricks and I've used them many times before. However, I know most of the information already so there is no need for you to get flustered over any attempt to garnish said information from you."

He fixed her with a stare of his own. "Now, I know this bounty is for you because you were named. Also, the bounty was from a Corellian man concerning charges of assault. Your profile came complete with a list of other offences such as breaking and entering and arson. Now...are you going to agree with me on this or shall we continue this little charade?"

Takeshi looked away from Layla for a moment, formulating his thoughts. This has rarely happened to him...getting mixed up in other people's affairs but this woman was his comrade, one of his vode and he couldn't let anything happen to her. Honour wouldn't let that happen.

"All I am trying to say, Layla, is that if this bounty catches up to you...you can count on me to be there to fight back next to you."

Edited by Drake

Rogue

Shock shown through her expression at the information he knew about her.

"Let me make something clear, Takashi Beskar." Layla looked up at him, her fury and her concern also emerging through her pheromones. "I don't need or want your help! I am perfectly capable of taking care of myself--" And Sena, she added silently. "I'm not some helpless cafarel or veil dancer. I may be young, but you don't have any idea what I've seen in my lifetime. No idea what I've endured, so why don't you back off and find somebody else to play games with?! Or better yet, don't play them at all!"

Edited by Rogue

Drake

Takeshi took her anger in stride, "I understand full well the kinds of things you have been through because I have been through worse. I witnessed the deaths of my family. My brothers and sisters murdered by the Empire. I was nearly killed myself but I escaped with what little life I had left. And now...now I spend every waking hour exacting my vengeance on those who had even a fraction of fault in my family's death. I will not take the long march of death until those di'kut have paid the price for their wrongs!"

Takeshi realized that he was beginning to yell. Taking a second to calm himself, he continued. "Not just for me...but for all of those who lost along the way. And despite what you may think of me, I only want to help. I know that you can handle yourself, so I only offer to watch your back. My people...I have a code of honour. I don't let my comrades...my brothers and sisters...fall behind. United we stand."

He sighed. "We both have our own pasts that we wish to remain secret and some secrets can damage us. We must face our demons. Only through confrontation with what makes us weak, can we emerge stronger than before."

Princess

Nima fired at the TIE on Atzena's tail but the pilot was good. Too good to be a novice TIE pilot, and the only way that you got good in a TIE was to survive missions. Nima finally got a lock on the TIE and sent a proton torpedo flying at it. Just as she watched it hit, something hit her snubfighter and she watched in horror as an S-foil snapped off. "I'm hit!"

Rogue

Layla had to take a moment to gather her thoughts after all he had just confided.

"I'm sorry about your family." she said sincerely. "But I'm trying to protect mine, and hiding myself from these charges--staying away from Corellia and those bounties is the best way I know how to do that. So, if you're being honest with me, the best way you can watch my back is to keep your mouth closed---the less people who know about Tyrena, the better."

She looked him over, evaluatingly. "Although....I can't help but wonder how someone who proclaims himself to be honorable, who's seen all the things you claim to have seen, Mr. Black Ops, can sit here and offer promises to someone with as shady a past as I have. Assault, breaking and entering, and arson---and those were only the charges that weren't dropped. Especially when getting me kicked from the squadron and sent off to a Corellian holding cell would only earn you a more permanent seat in the squadron."

Mara

"Blast! Artie, divert 70% of power to shields!"

He realized they were only superficial hits, but he hated getting caught off guard like that. Kaden took his fighter farther down and accelerating, staying out of the TIE's range. For now.

As he flew closer to the weapons facility, he readied two proton torpedoes. He had a mission to complete. A mission he almost forgot about. But now he was thinking about how to kill both with one shot.

He kept one eye on the display with the TIE, while he kept one focused on the task at hand. He launched one proton torpedo right at the front of the building, then banked sharply port and vertical to avoid the blast, then taking his fighter around the building to the other side. Kaden didn't want to get caught again.

He prepped the other torpedo, waiting for the TIE to come around.

Rogue

At the main control console for the simulators, Nat Riamor watched Kaden Staal's simulator run with interest. His lekku curled curioisly as he listened to the pilot issue the command to reroute power over his comm channel.

"Seventy percent to shields." the lieutennant mused aloud. "Certainly that will save him from a few hits, but it's going to cut down on his speed and manueverability. Shields or not, that TIE is still going to have the upper hand."

Shaking his heaf he looked over at some other monitors, just in time to see readings that Nima Secura's X-wing had had it's starboard S-foil sheered off by a laser hit. That was going to destabilize her X-wing, making fighting very difficult, if not impossible. She would have to retract her S-foils from attack position and withdraw from the battle.

Edited by Rogue

Drake

"Of course I will keep this a secret, Layla" said Takeshi. "I myself have far too many. I believe that I was drawn to you because we have more in common than you realize. We both have decorated careers in our service but we also have pasts shrouded in secrecy. We have both done things that can seriously damage those decorated careers, as well."

He sighed, "As for your seat on the squadron, I have no desire to force you out of it. I came here on orders. My only wish is for vengeance. If fate has it that I should leave, then I will simply find another method to seek my revenge on the Empire. Besides, I truly hope that your name gets cleared. I would hate to see someone with such skill and potential be left on the ground for long."

Chickenman

Atzena was about to respond when her shields collapsed, and the TIEs swarming around her scored direct hit after direct hit.

"I'm hit too!" she cried, as her starfighter caught fire and exploded.

The TIE screamed above the remains of the facility, searching for Kaden. It found him, aimed, and fired.

Mara

Kaden's display beeped, while Artie also screamed a warning.

"I know, I know..." He took his fighter into a sharp corkscrew away from the incoming laser fire, letting the TIE instead strafe the weapons facility that was now in his sights and not Kaden.

He pulled out of the spin and turned around, firing two of his lasers off in the general direction of the TIE.

Rogue

"Thank you..." Layla breathed a sigh of relief, looking out the window at the foliage beyond. He was going to keep the secret about the bounty and the charges. But that's only part of the secret...he doesn't know about Sena...he doesn't know the reason behind those charges.

He knows only a little more than Captain Tunon or Lieutenant Riamor. There is no way to clear my name...there will always be a bounty on it, there will always be those charges. I can't clear my name. That Corellian scum made sure of that...but I can prove my worth now, show them just how valuable I really am, and maybe they'll overlook it.

"I'm sorry...I probably seem really paranoid, but these kind of things are taboo, you know?" She looked over to him. "This secret is one I've been forced--that I've chosen to keep alone. I'm not sure that will ever change. Even if it means...that I lose my military career."

Drake

Takeshi nodded in agreement. "I, too, have such a secret. I believe that it is only fair that I confide it in you since you have unfortunately been forced to confide yours with me."

He ducked into an empty room and motioned her to follow. After the door closed, Takeshi pulled a small scanning device from one of his pockets and activated it. It made a little humming noise then went silent. He returned it back to his pocket.

"Good, no recording devices. Now...no one else but me knows of this. I have kept it a secret from everyone. Anyone who once knew of it is now dead. I believe that I can trust you with this. Am I right in my decision?"

Rogue

I thought I was paranoid...

Layla crossed her arms and leaned against the wall, looking up at the taller man frightfully. "That depends....How did you say those other people died again?"

She waited a tense moment before grinning at him, cool and confident as ever. "I'm kidding. Don't worry, I know the difference between things that are gossipable, and things that you take to the grave." She gestured in the direction of the device he'd used to scan the room. "Judging by your precaution, I think I know which way to lean."

Edited by Rogue

Drake

Tak smiled at her. "Thank you. And...those who died were my family. The reason why I have devoted my life and soul to ending the Empire."

He paused for a moment, then continued. "Everything about my past before joining the Rebel Alliance was a lie. My New Republic profile will say that I was from Fondor and that my family was killed in the Fondor Uprising. That is untrue. I come from the planet Kuar where my clan has lived for several generations. I was raised in the traditions of my people and learned of honour and comradrie and family. My true name is Takeshi Skirata...and I am a Mandalorian."

Rogue

The look Layla gave him suggested that he had grown five heads and tried to eat her. Then she pursed her lips, shook her head and laughed.

"You're joking, right? I mean...you have to be joking. Alright, listen. I believed the whole Black Ops thing. You look like a Black Ops kind of guy. I even believe what you said about your family---I mean we all have a motive for being here, bringing the fight to the Empire."

She paused, giving him a long once-over. "But now you're trying to tell me that on top of all that you're a Mandalorian---a flesh and blood Mandalorian, and now I can't help but wonder if you're not just trying to get me alone for some 'close combat' in the storageroom." She tossed her hair. "Look, I know I'm irresistable and all, but you're really trying too hard."

Chickenman

One laser hit the TIE, but it kept coming. It used its higher velocity to loop over the X-Wing, and let fly with a storm of laser fire. Kaden tried to jink, but to no avail. Finally, the lasers pierced through the X-Wing's shields and scored a direct hit on its hull, bringing its hull percentage down to 23%.

Mara

His lasers barely touched the TIE, but he had figured on that. He wasn't really aiming. But then the TIE came back with a round of its own firing lasers and Kaden caught a brunt of it while trying to bank away.

He swore.

Artie whistled a response, reminding him of the proton torpedo he had armed earlier.

"Oh, right. Well, I suppose if I'm going down, I'll go down with style."

He leveled his finger over the torpedo button.

"Artie... when I say so, all leftover power to stern shields, all we can afford."

He pointed his fighter towards the TIE and got a lock on it and pressed the button to launch the torpedo at the TIE. If it missed, well, at least it would hit the weapons' building.

Kaden took a sharp turn, spinning off to his starboard. "Now, Artie!" He sped downward towards the ground as fast as his damaged X-wing would let him, hoping he would come to a forest or something... at least some big shrubs, anything to use as a block.

Edited by Mara

Drake

"I understand your skepticism but please, hear me out for just a moment."

There was a clacking noise at the door followed by a droid chirp. Both fell silent as Takeshi went to the door and opened it. He laughed as his little droid, Teroch, trundled in pulling the hoversled with the ancient lockbox.

"On second thought, I will show you something to help you believe me. Oh...this is my droid, Teroch." Tak spoke to his droid in Mandalorian, "Su'cuy! Vor entye, Teroch."

Takeshi went to the black lockbox. "This chest belonged to my father and his father before him. As did the contents." He pressed his thumb against an indented pad on the locking mechanism. A small needle pricked his skin, drawing a tiny bead of blood. Immediately the lock read Takeshi's DNA and granted him access. He slowly opened the case. Fastened to the inside of the lid were several ancient-looking weapons including a pair of katana swords, daggers and an antique slug pistol. What was more important, however, was what lay in the base of the lockbox. There sat Takeshi's Mandalorian armour. He withdrew the black and green helmet and handed it to Layla.

"Now do you believe me?"

Rogue

Layla hefted it in her hands, staring down into the black visor of the helmet in disbelief.

"Whoa." she blinked, taking a step backwards. "So you're...you're really..."

Usually when men said this kind of stuff to her they didn't have armor lurking in an ID verifying chest that was guarded by a strange bipedal droid.

This whole thing was getting way too weird for her. He was really a Mandalorian. An armor weilding, weapons specializing Mandalorian, and this was honestly, the last thing she expected to hear or see. Shaking, she held the helmet back out for him."You uh...You'd better take this back before...I think I might drop it."

Princess

Nima slapped the button to lock her remaining s-foil into cruise position and deciding that she had nothing left to lose since Atzena's starfighter had just exploded, she set her lasers to single file mode and peppered the TIE that shot down her wingman. "R4, mark the spot where Atzena's X-wing exploded for recovery. Maybe she managed to get EV."

Nima took her X-wing in a loose lip trying not to strain her remaining s-foil. Another TIE popped up behind Nima and started peppering her with shots. Instinctively, Nima tried to loop out of the way and her x-wing ended up in an uncontrollable spin. Seeing the tree canopy rapidly coming closer, Nima realized that she had no other choice, and she punched out. Instead of the bone jarring ejection that she was expecting though the screen went back and Nima remembered that she was in a sim.

She popped the canopy and realized that she was shaking.

Drake

He took it from her and laughed. "Don't worry. It's seen far more battles than you or I have been a part of put together."

Despite saying this, Takeshi reverently placed the helmet back into the case and closed it. Immediately, the locking mechanism whirred and clicked shut.

"Don't think any less of me, Layla. I am no bounty hunter or mercenary or cold-blooded killer that lives by the credit. I am a product of the ancient heritage of a warrior race and the democracy of the New Repulic. I am as you see me. An enigma wrapped in a mystery that you now know a good deal more about than anyone else."

Rogue

Layla began pulling herself out of her shocked state. She looked up at him, and shook her head. "Believe me, if I was to think any less of you, it wouldn't be because you're a Mandalorian."

She walked over, sitting on one of the cargo boxes. It was a tall box and she found that when she was sitting on it her feet didn't quite reach the floor. "You guys helped the Zeltrons with our revenge against the Tof four years ago as far as I'm concerned. I've just...never met one of you before. I was given the impression that there weren't many of you guys left."

---

Nat pulled the earphones that relayed the comm signals from the sims from his ears, looking over to Nima Secura's simulator in time to see the flustered woman scramble out. She thought that was real for a while there. She thought Officer Meiling had really been shot down, and was trying to retrieve her.

Setting the earphones down on the console, Nat walked over, approaching her from behind. "Officer Secura?"

Princess

Nima jumped about a foot high. She turned around and saw that it was Lieutenant Riamor and she snapped to attention and threw a salute. "Lieutenant Riamor, sir."

Rogue

Riamor returned the salute, his yellow eyes fixing on her. "At ease, Officer Secura. I only wanted to come over here and congratulate you on a great run."