Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

Chapter 1: Baptism By Fire

Chickenman

Aeric raised an eyebrow. "You didn't see that everyone else was flying together? And as for jumping in the middle of a mission, you were flying for three hours. I'm sure there was space in there to jump into one."

Mara

"I don't like to fly when I don't have the required information, sir."

What's going on? I didn't disobey, did I? Great one, Kaden. Good job....

Chickenman

"My point is, Officer Staal, your record shows that you're not exactly the best team player around. You're a terrific pilot, but you've got to learn to fly with a wingman. No one can go it alone. Your squadron mates are gonna save your ass, and you're gonna save your squadron mates' asses. Or you're going to die. Think on that for me. Dismissed."

Mara

"Yes, sir." Kaden saluted and walked out of the room, followed by Artie after picking up his small sack of possessions.

He headed for anything resembling a cafeteria or a mess because it had been at least a day since he had eaten last.

"Well, that was fun, wasn't it, Artie?"

He whistled in dissent.

"I know, but what could I have said to change his mind? He had obviously made up his mind. And I'm sure he has my file."

They turned a corner and Kaden smelled food, so he entered the large room that turned out to be the mass cafeteria. He filled his tray with a double helping of everything that was laid out and went to sit at a table. Artie parked himself next to the table.

While spooning some pasty substance in his mouth, his thoughts turned inward.

Learn to fly with a wingman... He snorted to himself. I saved my wingman and the other two in my flight in that last mission on Vadrov Prime. Plus, probably some Redemptions as well. Race Bannon was a great guy, but horrible at being my wingman. He just flew around and shot at things. I don't know how he made it to the Golden Eagles. He scraped up the last bits of his plate, cleaning it spotless. Maybe it was because he couldn't handle the more powerful X-wings or A-wings. If I hadn't gotten to him in time, he would have... We would have lost a second GE that day....

He sighed and grabbed his juice glass. It was bad enough losing the one....

Edited by Mara

Rogue

Nat watched him leave, then turned to the Captain. "Do you believe he'll really take that to heart?"

Mara

After helping himself to seconds and finishing that, Kaden left the cafeteria to go find the barracks and possibly a 'fresher station as well. He walked down hall after hall, not really making any progress.

Just then Artie beeped at him. He looked down at the little droid. "Yes?"

He trilled off a series of notes.

"Uh, slow down there." Kaden slid down sack and reached for his databad and hooked it into his droid. "Now, can you repeat that?"

Artie did so.

"Well, good job. Can you download those into my datapad?"

Why didn't I think of looking for a map?

After the data move was complete, Kaden disconnected his 'pad from Artie and took a look at it. He found what looked to be the barracks and refresher, the cafeteria (which he had found), a pilots' lounge, offices, the hangars and all kinds of odds and end buildings you'd expect on a secret hidden base.

Now that he knew where he was going, Kaden headed off to get a shower. He rubbed his hand over his 3-day-old beard and wrinkled his nose.

Artie followed him a few feet behind, softly tooting to himself.

Chickenman

Aeric sighed.

"Based on previous experiences, no. Once a hard-head, always a hard-head. We'll just have to watch him and hope he doesn't get anyone killed."

He checked his wrist chronometer.

"It's late. Consider yourself off duty for the evening. I'm going to practice in the sims awhile longer."

Drake

Takeshi looked up at Teroch on his shoulder. "I need to you recon and retrieve any information on the cook and his kitchen. Uncover any of his stronghold's weaknesses and document them. I also want you to find ways in. Air ducts, garbage disposals, whatever. Look out for anything else you think important. And remember...eyes only. Don't force our hand."

Teroch buzzed an afirmation and skittered off Takeshi's shoulder, across the floor, then up the wall and into one of the air vents. As soon as the little droid was gone, Tak got up from the couch and attached a small device to the holodisplay. Immediately, the cheesy holodrama was replaced by the optical video feed coming directly from Teroch. Currently, it was weaving its way through the ventilation system. Soon it would be in the kitchen.

Rogue

Nat nodded, turning one of the simulators on for him. "Goodnight then Captain. Hopefully these problems we've found today will be easily resolved."

Saluting, he turned and headed out of the simulator room with a twitch of his lekku. He had a feeling these problems would not be easily solved. They had inexperienced pilots, people who had never worked undercover before--himself included, a hotshot loner pilot, and a girl with a criminal record.

And those were just the problems that were easily apparent. With a sigh, he headed out to find his own cup of caf.

---

"No offense Tak, but that is one creepy little droid." Layla shivered, still creeped out by the skittering droid. She leaned forward, looking st the holo. "Think he'll get in?"

Drake

Takeshi smiled at her. "Teroch always gets in. I found him offline and damaged during one of my Outer Rim missions. I repaired him and he joined me. He's an excellent partner and spy. He can also perform a vast array of other duties including slicing, starfighter piloting, and he can help out in a fight. I think he's sentient, in a way...definately of unknown alien origin."

Rogue

"And he's definatly creepy." Layla grinned. "And if he keeps this up i might be out of a job." She snorted, looking at the holo-feed.

Drake

Takeshi laughed as Teroch turned down a vent no wider than his neck. "You may be a lean and fit specimen of a woman but I don't think even you could squeeze those pretty curves of yours through there."

Rogue

"I wouldn't have to go through there." Layla grinned knowingly. "I could go right through the front."

Drake

Tak nodded and looked her over for the umpteenth time. "I don't doubt it!"

He glanced over at Arlan and noticed that he had nodded off. "Looks like the kid had a little too much excitement for one day."

Edited by Drake

Chickenman

Slowly, silently, Captain Aeric Tunon slid into the simulator. He scrolled through the list of missions avaiable to him. He selected one based on a recent skirmish between Imperial and New Republic forces. The sim began humming to life. Moments later, he was dropped into a simulation all too familiar to him.

There had to be a way. There had to be a way to stop it. And by God, I'm going to find it.

Rogue

"I'm not surprised." She said, looking over at them. "It's been a crazy day for all of us...some of us more I'd think. Neither of them has been in the sims much, so that must've been exhausting for them. Just wait til they experience the real thing."

Drake

"Sims only teach you so much," said Takeshi. "Perhaps the Captain would allow us some friendly combat dogfights."

He yawned then, suddenly realizing how tired he was as well.

Rogue

"Yeah, I'm sure everyone would benefit from that." she agreed, tucking her legs beneath her. "I wonder if..." she sighed.

Drake

Tak nodded, "Yeah..." He gave her an apologetic look.

Rogue

"Don't look at me like that." Layla said, averting her warm gray eyes. "It isn't your fault...and i don't want your pity."

She slammed her hands down on her knees in determination. "I'm going to figure this out. I'll figure out a way to get back on active duty."

Drake

"Good," said Takeshi and he smiled at her. "I know you may not want any help from me but I'll be here if you do."

Rogue

She smiled at him gratefully. "Thanks. I appreciate the support...but I don't see how you could help...not unless you could turn back time four years and convince me not to move to Tyrena."

She looked him over again. "And somehow I think that's something not even you could pull off, Takeshi Beskar." She frowned. "Actrually, i'm not sure i'd want you to, even if you could."

Edited by Rogue

Drake

"I understand, my dear" said Takeshi solemnly. He looked at the other tired faces around him. "So do we have sleeping arrangements yet or are we having a slumber party here for the night?"

Edited by Drake

Rogue

No...you really don't understand... Layla thought to herself. If I hadn't gone there then none of this would have happened...but...for Sena...I'm glad parts of it did.

I'm never going to stop being mixed up about this am I? And determination alone isn't going to save my ass...I need to think. Seriously think.

"Oh, I think they're posted over there." She pointed to the far wall.

Drake

"Oh." Tak strained his eyes to see the small writing then gave up and took a small pair of binoculars from a pocket. He read the list from the lazy comfort of the couch. "Jaim Adarra." He put the binoculars away then grinned at Layla. "Looks like you're stuck with the Trianii. Mee-ow." He chuckled.