Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
TheUnknown

Presidential Debate At 9pm On Cspan

Ender

I hate the debates... always really repetitive from both sides, and Jim Lehrer could put even Nik to sleep...

(Nik is famous for always being very energized*

CorSec

Watched a bit. Got bored. Watched Simpsons reruns. I liked the silly wince-like faces Bush would make before making a point. :D

Chickenman

Was funny. My dad said he enjoyed Bush's expressions most of all. My favorite was when Kerry made a point, and Bush began pointing at someone in the crowd and mouthing "you!"

Tsl

Hehe! Missed that one. Was it followed by a swarm of secret service guys dragging the audience member off to his death? :p

Chickenman

It wasn't showed on screen. They're stealthy like that. :p

GI_Admiral

OMG DU...NICE AVATAR!!!! :p

Yeah Bush's expressions were great. Both were good at dodging areas they wanted to, yet both made mistakes that could have been taken advantage of but werent. Im interested inseeing Edwards vs Cheney

Ender

Ah yes.. the most passive man in the world against the most direct man in the world... gonna be hella fun. :p

chozen

me thinks bush will win this one......

GI_Admiral

I think It'll be a lot closer...

Radioactive Isotope

no doubt, this year's election is gonna be close. let's just hope we don't have a repeat of 2000 with the ballots :roll:

GI_Admiral

Dont worry...im hoping the hurricanes take out florida all together :p

Princess

GI, I had a theory that God sent all those hurricanes to Florida to ensure that 2000 didn't happen again

GI_Admiral

haha It's true...

Radioactive Isotope

hehe. could be, could be.

Drake

Yeah, it was definately a sign.

Ana

Hehe, this is funny, even if it's not true...

((WARNING: POLITICAL HUMOR/HUMOUR AHEAD. PROCEED WITH CAUTION.))

Almighty Wind

GI_Admiral

Would be cool if it was true :p

Pandora

Now for the debate:

I was right. Bush did infinitely better in this one, probably because of the informal atmosphere, which has always been his strong point. Last week, I admit, was painful for me to watch. And Kerry is still giving the same old BS and leaving out the explanation. If Kerry can offer reasons--good, credible, concrete reasons-- for his actions in the Senate, after Vientnam, and so on, I'll let him off the hook. Scout's honor.

A lot of what Kerry said tonight were flat out lies. I particularly liked Bush's response to one of them:

"I own a timber company? That's news to me!... need some wood?"

Oh yeah. Bush won.

GI_Admiral

I admit Bush did a lot better.

I also admit Kerry did get hit hard with that comment. BUT you cannot deny the fact that Bush dodged so many questions either on purpose or by accident. I mean the 3 mistakes he kept saying how he'll be held repsonsible.

I think that Both did well though and it is roughly a tie

Pandora

I disagree that it was a tie, despite what the liberal media says. I've come to the conclusion that democrats tend to call it a draw when they've lost.

If Bush dodged a question, I didn't catch it. And the three mistakes... he did answer it. He said he didn't feel he had made a mistake, and if he had, he hasn't realized yet, and will be corrected when the time comes. When he makes a decision, he sticks with it.

Kerry was asked a direct question regarding tax hikes. something to the effect of, "Can you look straight into the camera and honestly tell the American people that you will not raise taxes?"

His answer was something to the effect of, "Straight into the camera, I will say... I will not cut taxes for the wealthy 1%. I will not do what Bush did and only give certain wealthy people a tax break." Never said he'd lower taxes, never directly said he'd raise them. And the question was looking for a direct answer. He didn't give one.

Kerry has also said that we are in the biggest deficit in history... uh, no we're not. It was worse back... during one of the world wars I think (will have to check the exact years).

He also says that no other president has ever cut taxes during a wartime recession. Uhhhhh, yeah we have. (again, will get back with an exact administration and year)

And then he said something about how some kind of funding-type bill was passed in 1985 (I was driving and it was raining, so I could only half listen). Um, who was president in 1985? Possibly Reagan?

GI_Admiral

Hahaha alright here we go:

I disagree that it was a tie, despite what the liberal media says. I've come to the conclusion that democrats tend to call it a draw when they've lost.

Liberal Media? We've gone over this again and again. The reporters might be liberal, the editors are not. It cant be liberal or they lose conservative viewers. And I seem to remember many a republican claiming the first debate was a tie...

If Bush dodged a question, I didn't catch it. And the three mistakes... he did answer it. He said he didn't feel he had made a mistake, and if he had, he hasn't realized yet, and will be corrected when the time comes. When he makes a decision, he sticks with it.

Maybe he didnt dodge, maybe he just didnt understand the question. The three mistakes, he didn't list anything. He should have said "I feel have not made any mistakes" And I dont remember which question but there were a few times where he didn't answer the question at all.

Kerry was asked a direct question regarding tax hikes. something to the effect of, "Can you look straight into the camera and honestly tell the American people that you will not raise taxes?"

He did.

His answer was something to the effect of, "Straight into the camera, I will say... I will not cut taxes for the wealthy 1%. I will not do what Bush did and only give certain wealthy people a tax break." Never said he'd lower taxes, never directly said he'd raise them. And the question was looking for a direct answer. He didn't give one.

Haha He said he would not cut taxes of the upper 1%, but he would take the $ lost from that 1% tax cut, and use it to fund other programs. He would also make tax cuts by making other programs like healthcare cheaper. He's for the middle class, which is you and me, not for the upper class which is Kerry, Bush, Cheney, Edwards, Big Corporations.

Kerry has also said that we are in the biggest deficit in history... uh, no we're not. It was worse back... during one of the world wars I think (will have to check the exact years).

Uh...yes...we are...If you prove me wrong then I'm wrong, but it is still ONE of the biggest in history. And we came off an administration that had a plan in motion that would have gotten RID of it in 12 years...

He also says that no other president has ever cut taxes during a wartime recession. Uhhhhh, yeah we have. (again, will get back with an exact administration and year)

And then he said something about how some kind of funding-type bill was passed in 1985 (I was driving and it was raining, so I could only half listen). Um, who was president in 1985? Possibly Reagan?

I could list a whole BUNCH of innaaccuracies the president said...It was a live debate they might have forgotten some figures. In addition, they spin news to make them look the better. You have to expect each of them will stretch information. Look past those, and see the content. Bush had none. Kerry laid out feasible plans.

Bush held himself well though. That is why I am being generous to Bush and saying it was a tie. My true opinion is that Kerry wins, but I'm being a realist here and saying that many will think of it as a tie.

Uncle Du

OMG DU...NICE AVATAR!!!! :p

Which one ya talking about? This current one?

Pandora

Alright, since I didn't take notes because, well, I was driving most the time and COULDN'T, I'll go snag a transcript and get back to you.

Also wanted to point out the irony: we're debating a debate.

CorSec

His answer was something to the effect of, "Straight into the camera, I will say... I will not cut taxes for the wealthy 1%. I will not do what Bush did and only give certain wealthy people a tax break." Never said he'd lower taxes, never directly said he'd raise them. And the question was looking for a direct answer. He didn't give one

I fail to see why people want promises from any politicians. Especially the ones who are running for a position they've never been in. It's impossible for them to make true on 95% of the promises they would make anyway. Specifically, would you rather Kerry lied? Would it just be better if he gave an answer, ignoring the backlash he may get should he win office?

Uncle Du

I didn't catch this one. Tonight, Diablo was more important.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.