Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Tsl

Your Computer

Andy

I got all you f... er people beat! my first comp was a 33 that BARELY ran windows 3.0..... it's NEW technology was a floppy drive I's got a better one now but I don't know what it is sides an emachine lol

You weren't even born when floppy drives were new. :p

Ayingel

my first computer took 3.5 inch floppies

Andy

Computers have been using 3.5 inch disks since like the mid-80s. :p

Ayingel

no wait...the 5 inch ones...the big ones! the ones where you played reading rabit after inputting the command to start the game in orange letters on a black screen!

Radioactive Isotope

the actual floppy floppy disks? yeah, i remember those. good times.

Mara

Yeah.... back in kindergarten... :p

Jake Durron

Heh I was still using them to copy the pj onto when we were writing :lol:

Andy

Oh the 5.25 inch disks. They're old. I remember those from primary school lol.

Andy

Right, so I was trying to turn an old Win 98 PC into a webserver, but it had a slight drawback in the fact that it was as slow as a dead tortoise and didn't have networking built in, and I didn't have a spare network card.

So, plan B was to take the HDD out of it and put it into my HDD-less 3rd PC which was lying dormant. Unfortunately it didn't seem to agree with the hardware and would freeze on startup and refuse to acknowledge the CD-ROM's existence...

Which is where Plan C came into action. I went onto eBay and bought a cheap server for ?10. It's a Dell PowerEdge 1400SC server, which I hope to configure so it can be the Beeurd Empire webserver, for beeurdempire.com and galacticbasic.net and any other domains I happen to own at the time. lol

Hopefully this will work... Getting my new ISP with a fixed IP address soon. :)

Jon-Michael

I'm not sure if Dell would be the best thing to be relying on for a server.

:p

Andy

Their servers appear to have good reviews, actually... Maybe it's all they are good at?

Uncle Du

I went over to the Dark Side and got an iMac, and I have to say, I f-in love this thing! Just something about not having all that 3rd party software is really awesome. Not to mention, I can control the damn thing with my phone, and stream all my media to my XBox, so I can listen to everything over my surround sound, which happens to be about 40 feet away in another room. Oh yea. :D

Princess

Geek

Drake

On this board, geek is a compliment.

Chickenman

What were you doing in the thread where people talk about their computers if you weren't expecting geeks?

Uncle Du

Yea no kiddin! That's like walking into a SW convention and calling someone a nerd. Duh!! :p

Bad furday

woo iMacs! :D

*is typing away on family's new iMac as well* :D

Andy

I went over to the Dark Side and got an iMac, and I have to say, I f-in love this thing! Just something about not having all that 3rd party software is really awesome. Not to mention, I can control the damn thing with my phone, and stream all my media to my XBox, so I can listen to everything over my surround sound, which happens to be about 40 feet away in another room. Oh yea. :D

What 3rd party software do you use normally? lol, there's not a great deal of necessary 3rd software these days. In fact, I think on my next computer all I'm going to install (aside from games) will be Firefox and Paint Shop Pro. Nobody really needs Word or Excel or anything any more... The PCs at work only have Firefox on them, and the normal Windows accesories: Google Docs FTW!!

And I can stream all my media from my PC to my PS3, so I'm not sure what streaming media from iMac to your 360 proves... Apart from that we are both doing things that would horrify Microsoft. :p

Yea no kiddin! That's like walking into a SW convention and calling someone a nerd. Duh!! :p

I would take offence to that. :p

Uncle Du

I must be losing my mind, cause I coulda sworn I wrote a reply in here already!

All I was gonna say is, I like how everything that goes on a Mac is totally compatible, versus the thousands of companies that program for Windows. Everything is wrapped up in a nice neat package, and functions flawlessly. Obviously, if I had the savvy needed, I could do the same with a PC, but hey, I don't. :p

I like horrifying Microsoft. :D

Andy

yeah, but you do realise that if Macs were popular they'd have thousands of programmes for them too. ;)

Uncle Du

So when the hell did Google release this browser?! I like it...

Andy

Oh you mean Google Chrome? I'm not a fan...

Uncle Du

Seems to load pages faster, though it is still kinda buggy.

I don't like the fact that I can't seem to find a home button...

Uncle Du

I friggin HATE windows. I downloaded SP 1 for Vista, and it crashed my laptop. I've tried everything possible to restore, and it just won't let me. I'm going to attempt to chat with a microsoft associate and see if there's anything I can do. I cannot afford to lose some of the files I have on that hard drive!!

Andy

You should be able to recover the files, but I'm not sure how you'd do it with Vista...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.