Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Tsl

Your Computer

Uncle Du

Just installed a lovely card reader into my comp.

Funny thing is that it adds each slot as a new drive... For some reason I had thought it wouldn't do that. Oh well, now when I go into My Computer (or "t3h ub3r c0mput3r" as I have labelled it), it shows that I have the following drives:

A: C: D: E: F: G: H: I:

Think I should add some more? :p

Heh, mine came with said card reader, and I have drives coming out the ass too. :p

Uncle Du

So, I'm having this problem with my computer, as in, it keeps blowing power supplies. Now, I'm pretty sure that it's most likely due to a bad surge protector, but I just thought that I would get a second opinion, since I'm not that computer geek that I may come across as. :p

I'm just wondering if there is possibly something that could possibly be wrong internally. I think, but I'm not sure, that this isn't the case, because at least with the power supplies that I work with in the navy, there is no feedback that returns to the power supply from the gear. I'm not sure if this is the same for a PC.

Oh yea, and I won't be able to get online till I come back to work tomorrow morning. This sux. Just thought I would toss that in there. :p

Edited by Du(SW)

Neil1

And your motherboard works? :| Was your comp in the same wall socket each time? If so, any electrik probs before?

OK, so I got a question. I've got this new computer, and it's got a 250 gig hard drive, and I wanna partition it. Only problem is, I've never done it before. So, can any help me, pweeeease? :p

Not sure if anyone answered your question, but you could get a copy of Partition Magic

I thought partition magic was open source? May be wrong tho.

Top advice.

Uncle Du

Yea, everything still works, it's just the power supply. It hasn't had any effect on any components internally, thank goodness. At least the power supply seems to be taking the punishment, because it's pretty much the easiest and cheapest things to replace. Well, I'll find out today when I take it in.

Uncle Du

Well, that was fun, looks like I won't be seeing my compy for a few days. :(

Good thing I have my roomates laptop now. :D

Edited by Du(SW)

Neil1

When you get it back check the voltage in the BIOS. Hopefully nothings too busted.

Uncle Du

Well, I should be getting it back today. Apparently I have a bad surge protector, because it also fried my video card. But, I do have onboard video, cause I don't feel like spending another 300 bucks to get a new one right now.

Uncle Du

It's so nice to have her back!!

*hugs computer*

Brumak

Good, now I can get my cd back :p

Edited by V!?

Ana

I gots a new computer! *Happydances*

It's a MacBook, meaning it can run both Mac OS X and Windows. 2gb memory, 160gb harddrive, built-in webcam, just... beautiful. My dad's gonna get a copy of some Windows OS for me tomorrow, so that I can start being ubergeeky and running both. :D

Andy

Glad someone bumped this... cos I got my ancient Acorn Computer up and running just!

Hehe it's soooo old, but god I wish my PC ran this fast. lol

Ana

It's all those viruses slowing you down. :p

Ana

So basically, the MacBook reigns supreme. I have Mac OS for myself, Windows XP for anything I might ever need it for, and soon I'll have Unix as well. I have VMWare, a free application that allows me to run Windows within a window.

On GB on two machines at once!

This is insanely trippy, to switch between Mac and PC, and have to readjust to where the control bar is constantly.

Basically... as if Macs didn't rock enough already... now you can do all that PC stuff on 'em too. Not sure why you'd want to, but you can. :p

Edited by Ana

Brumak

Glad someone bumped this... cos I got my ancient Acorn Computer up and running just!

Hehe it's soooo old, but god I wish my PC ran this fast. lol

O...

M.....

G...

YOU HAVE AN ACORN!!!??????????

Andy

Yep, an Acorn A5000. Aparently this particular model cost over ?1,000 when new in the early '90s. I got it for ?20 off eBay. hehe.

Radioactive Isotope

:lol:

TheUnknown

I got a new computer a few weeks ago. It's a Gateway, but that's the only thing I really remember.

Mara

I hope Gateways have changed recently.. 'cause I had one and it sucked big time.

Ayingel

the laptops aren't that bad. and if your gateway sucks now, it probably needs to be updated...computers get like that, ya know

Mara

I don't have it any more.

That's why I said "had," lol.

Chickenman

Hey, I can't get into my computer. I get a message that says "NTLDR is missing. Press Ctrl-Alt-Del to restart." And restarting only brings you back to that screen. Any idea what an NTLDR is, and how I can get the computer to work again? Nothing should be missing, I simply shut the pc down last night and went to bed.

Chickenman

Crap, I still have no idea how to fix it, even after reading that, lol.

Thanks, though.

Guest Kia

I got all you f... er people beat! my first comp was a 33 that BARELY ran windows 3.0..... it's NEW technology was a floppy drive I's got a better one now but I don't know what it is sides an emachine lol

Mara

Woo, I have an eMachine, too. :p

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.