Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Tsl

Your Computer

Radioactive Isotope

my classmate's husband crashed their computer this weekend and she lost a 35-page project, and possibly the abstracts for her research project going to Toronto for the SNM meeting this year. i'll offer the same advice to you as i did to her: get one of those external HDs and back everything up on it you don't want to lose. they're probably less than $100 now. or get a flash drive.

Andy

Just be careful with externals though... they are a lot more fragile because they aren't protected by the computer case, so make sure they are somewhere where they aren't going to get knocked off a desk or something.

Mara

As a a few of you probably have read, I had to get a new computer a couple weeks back, because the motherboard on my old one fried.  And because of its age and whatnot, it was more cost-effective to cut my losses instead of trying to fix it. Poor Compy II.

Luckily, though, in a moment of clarity, I was able to remove all my pictures and documents, and the music that I didn't have a hard copy of. But  everything else is still stuck on the hard drive - basically, my games and such and about 10 gigs of music.

After months (seriously, months - it was getting out of hand, just ask anyone) of research and going back and forth between a laptop and a desktop, I finally just decided on getting a new desktop.

So now, for about $450, I got the HP Pavilion 500-056, with an AMD A8 processor, 1 TB hard drive, 8 GB memory, built-in wireless, and Windows 8.1 (came with 8 and I had to upgrade to 8.1). more info on hp.com

(A far cry from my old eMachines with an AMD Sempron, 60 GB hard drive, and 526 MB of memory.)

But since towers now don't come with monitors or speakers, I'm still using my old ones till I get them replaced.

Still, now I have Compy III!

Andy

This just made me lol:

Oh you mean Google Chrome? I'm not a fan...

I can't remember the last time I used another browser... Must have been not long after then.

I'm still using the PC I built about 6/7 years ago... Seems all right still. I updated to Windows 7 though. 

Edited by Andy

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.