Jump to content
Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

    We would be honored if you would join us...

Princess

The Sports Bar

Recommended Posts

Princess

Nah, I haven't tried to take off my skate and stab her yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Du

NHL may ban hits to the head...

I think this would be a bad idea. While I do think strict punishment for blatant hits with intent to injure is good, banning all hits to the head is going to end up slowing the game down, and end with players getting suspended more and more often for playing the game the way it's supposed to be played....you know, with checking. I've seen a lot of hits to the head, most of them unintentional. When a player is going in for a check, and the opposing players all of sudden ducks, whether to dig out a puck, or just plain doesn't see him coming, how can that be the checker's fault? This just screams bad idea to me. Because with this mentality, fighting should be banned all together. Because that's kinda the whole idea behind fighting. To punch another dude in the head.

I think it's kinda ridiculous that the NHLPA is the one that's initiated it. It just seems to me that more and more hockey players are becoming more pussified. Pardon the language, but it's true. 50 years ago guys were playing without helmets, and the padding they have nowadays, and you didn't hear any complaints from those guys. They were the toughest mo-fo's out there. They enjoyed the game, and didn't care the cost on their bodies. Isn't that the whole idea? For the love of the game? Not for the love of my pretty face?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess

I agree with you

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James the Defender

w00t! Green Bay clinches a playoff birth! Yeah!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Du

*sigh*

effin Broncos.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Master Hayes

NHL may ban hits to the head...

I think this would be a bad idea. While I do think strict punishment for blatant hits with intent to injure is good, banning all hits to the head is going to end up slowing the game down, and end with players getting suspended more and more often for playing the game the way it's supposed to be played....you know, with checking. I've seen a lot of hits to the head, most of them unintentional. When a player is going in for a check, and the opposing players all of sudden ducks, whether to dig out a puck, or just plain doesn't see him coming, how can that be the checker's fault? This just screams bad idea to me. Because with this mentality, fighting should be banned all together. Because that's kinda the whole idea behind fighting. To punch another dude in the head.

I think it's kinda ridiculous that the NHLPA is the one that's initiated it. It just seems to me that more and more hockey players are becoming more pussified. Pardon the language, but it's true. 50 years ago guys were playing without helmets, and the padding they have nowadays, and you didn't hear any complaints from those guys. They were the toughest mo-fo's out there. They enjoyed the game, and didn't care the cost on their bodies. Isn't that the whole idea? For the love of the game? Not for the love of my pretty face?

I didn't have a chance to read that link, but I can say this; Gary Bettman has ruined the NHL. I know you said the NHLPA is leading the way with this, but anytime is a good time to rip Bettman.

While I think concussions should be taken seriously, I don't think it's the players fault. I've read that Mark Messier has been working with an equiptment company to make a safer helmut. I know the Wild have had 4 or more players out with concussions this season alone. P-M Bouchard has played in 1 game this season so far, all because of lingering post-concussion syndrome.

Banning all hits to the head won't fix it for one reason only. Not all NHL players are the same height. A guy like Zdeno Chara, who's damn near 7ft tall on skates, would have his elbows about head height on any player that's about 6ft tall. So if he cleanly checks a player he'd catch the other player in the head without trying.

Then there's the human element, leaving it up to a NHL ref to decide on whether or not a player hit someone with the intent to injure. The NHL is on a slippery slope with this, and I can see them screwing the game up.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James the Defender

*sigh*

effin Broncos.

Dude,

I live and work around Eagles' fans. They were all up on their team today and I'm like: guys, they almost lost it, with their work in the 3rd/4th... the Broncos are better than for which we give them credit.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mara

I feel sad for the Colts. Kind of wished they could go undefeated. Oh, well.

And my 'Canes are still looking for win number 10. :p

Though, the Pens getting beat by Toronto was pretty sweet. :D

Edited by Mara

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ayingel

STUPID VIKINGS! WTF?! HOW THE HELL DO YOU LOSE TO CHICAGO??

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Du

I didn't have a chance to read that link, but I can say this; Gary Bettman has ruined the NHL. I know you said the NHLPA is leading the way with this, but anytime is a good time to rip Bettman.

While I think concussions should be taken seriously, I don't think it's the players fault. I've read that Mark Messier has been working with an equiptment company to make a safer helmut. I know the Wild have had 4 or more players out with concussions this season alone. P-M Bouchard has played in 1 game this season so far, all because of lingering post-concussion syndrome.

Banning all hits to the head won't fix it for one reason only. Not all NHL players are the same height. A guy like Zdeno Chara, who's damn near 7ft tall on skates, would have his elbows about head height on any player that's about 6ft tall. So if he cleanly checks a player he'd catch the other player in the head without trying.

Then there's the human element, leaving it up to a NHL ref to decide on whether or not a player hit someone with the intent to injure. The NHL is on a slippery slope with this, and I can see them screwing the game up.

Holy crap dude, I think I love you!! ;)

Prin and I have a rabid aint-betman club around here. You are absolutely right about him. He is the absolute worse thing that has ever happened to the league. The problem is, all the owners like him because he's been making them money with the new policies he's implemented. I can't stand the guy, but he somehow has the ability to bring money in for the team owners, yet still lose fans. I'll have to try and find an article that I posted a long time ago, about this really awesome conspiracy theory surrounding bettmans appointment as the NHL commissioner. Did you know that he was assistant commish in the NBA before? And around the time that he took over for the NHL, the NHL had the biggest contracts with the biggest broadcasters, and was much more popular than the NBA in the early 90's. And then a year and a half (I think) after he took over, the NHL had it's first lock-out in history? Then all of a sudden the league had a soft salary cap...which the NBA did NOT have. It seems like everything he has done has been to stifle the success of the league. From making goalie pads smaller to the evil hexagon behind the net, these things were all done to make the game "more exciting" and "higher scoring". So I pose this question: why, if it's easier to score (and more exciting?), has no one come CLOSE to breaking Gretzky's single season points record? Or even Lemieux's second place record? How long has it been since the league saw a 200 point season? I can't even remember off the top of my head, but I'm pretty Mario was the one that did it.

Dude, I could go on allllll day about this. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mara

'Canes beat Washington for win #10. :D :D

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Du

Dude,

I live and work around Eagles' fans. They were all up on their team today and I'm like: guys, they almost lost it, with their work in the 3rd/4th... the Broncos are better than for which we give them credit.

LOL, I can only imagine. I have a friend who's an Eagles fan, and he's stationed in Japan, and I was gettin' all sorts o sith from him. It was a pretty dreary game for me in the first half, but seeing our second half performance gave me hope. For next season, haha! The Eagles sorry ass performance against us in the second half is exactly why they aren't going to take it all the way this year. They are going to face far better teams in the playoffs. At this point, I really don't want to see the Broncos make the post-season, because we're just going to get embarrassed in the first round. But, if we win next week, we'll more than likely be in. I would just rather be able to say that we had a winning season, compared to last years .500 finish. Which we're on track to doing again. God I really hope we don't lose to KC. :p

And damn, you're boys looked hot! I knew I shoulda started Jennings. :p

I feel sad for the Colts. Kind of wished they could go undefeated. Oh, well.

Though, the Pens getting beat by Toronto was pretty sweet. :D

I think they made the right call though. They're keeping they're eyes on the big prize, which I think if the Pats had done two years ago, might have helped them out. They got cocky. And besides, the Colts now have the record for most consecutive regular season wins. I honestly think they're a better team than the 2007 Pats.

And yea, I was happy to see that loss, haha!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess

Should we teach him the secret anti-Bettman handshake?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Du

Hey, stop capitalizing his name!! ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess

My bad. Grammar habits

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Ender

So, I've been watching quite a bit of hockey over my vacation and I'm really starting to get into it. I'm feeling I need to pick a team sometime soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess

Detroit of course. The team is finally getting healthy. Within the next 2 weeks, we get half of our injured top scorers back.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Du

Don't listen to her. :p

Pick the Islanders. They really have no where to go but up. ;)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James the Defender

same with the Flyers

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Du

I'm talking about last years miserable finish. :p

The Flyers weren't THAT bad.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
James the Defender

No, not last season, but this one they are

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Du

Well, the season isn't over yet. ;)

I'm still pleasantly surprised with how much better the Avs are this year. Not quite Cup ready, but we're getting there. I can't wait until we're a powerhouse in the West again.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Mara

I feel sad for the Colts. Kind of wished they could go undefeated. Oh, well.

Though, the Pens getting beat by Toronto was pretty sweet. :D

I think they made the right call though. They're keeping they're eyes on the big prize, which I think if the Pats had done two years ago, might have helped them out. They got cocky. And besides, the Colts now have the record for most consecutive regular season wins. I honestly think they're a better team than the 2007 Pats.

And yea, I was happy to see that loss, haha!!

True. True. The Colts do look pretty good this season.

And good for you, Ender!

There are 29 awesome teams to pick from. You don't want to join the ranks of the snobby Red Wings fans. One little loss or injury and they whine about it, when there are at least a dozen or two worst teams than them. :p

Pick the team with the prettiest logo. That's what I did. ;)

(Not really, but, hey, it works. :p).

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Princess

At least the Wings are actually still managing to win with almost all their top scorers injured. Where are the 'Canes sitting at? Oh yeah, they're in last place

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Uncle Du

I'm not going to jump on the bandwagon and tell you become a fan of my team dude. Lets face it, you're just not cool enough to be an Avs fan. ;)

Yea right, who am I kidding. Ender plays a guitar and is in a band, it's really not much cooler than that. :p

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

×

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.