Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

The Great Depression 2: Depression Harder

Uncle Du

I guess you're lucky... :p

Andy

It does really show their incompetence though if they realise a trailer in 1997 and haven't finished the game 12 years later... :p

Uncle Du

No kidding. You would think with all the outstanding 3rd party studios out there these days that they could have had something by now. It is really sad. Duke Nukem was the reason I began PC gaming, and the first thing that I ever played over dial up.

Maybe someone will buy the rights, and we'll still get to see a game.

Andy

I think the first game I played on an actual (IBM compatible) PC was Wolfenstein 3D, developed by iD Software and published by 3D Realms, I think while they were still using the Apogee brand name.

3D Realms might not have been a big player these days, but they certainly cast an enormous shadow.

Mara

Wolfenstein 3D was an AWESOME game. :D

Too bad my only copy is on a floppy disk somewhere...

James the Defender

A what? ;) :p

Uncle Du

A lot of those developers may not be pumping out big name titles, but many of them are responsible for the groundwork for so many of the engines running the most popular titles we see now.

Andy

iD is probably one of only a handful old school developers still active at the moment, along with Blizzard and LucasArts. Can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Nintendo don't count, they are like... legendary. lol, they were founded in like a hundred years before everyone else. And I'm not even exaggerating. :p

Edited by Andy

Uncle Du

Yea, but all Nintendo knows how to do now is recycle its old names. :p

Bad furday

Too bad my only copy is on a floppy disk somewhere...

A 5 and a quarter inch floppy diskete?! That's so last century! :p :eek:

Uncle Du

Ahhh, I can remember tossin' in Oregon Trail on one of those bad boys. :D

Dissentary was the worst. :p

Edited by Du

Bad furday

I remember when we had to hunt for food...and you'd move the character with the cursor keys. :p And then you'd spray bullets everywhere, and hit a squirrel or two. If you were lucky, there'd be a buffalo.

I remember this one time, in computer lab... :p

We had split up into teams, to play Oregon Trail on the Apple IIe's...and someone rather unknowingly replicated the advance of white game hunters across the great plains, ie: Killing off more buffalo than necessary, just to kill them :p

They just stood there waiting, and whenever a buffalo came along, they shot it. While waiting, they'd shoot at the rocks. :p And then the game would say something like, "You can only carry X pounds of food" or something :p

Chickenman

iD is probably one of only a handful old school developers still active at the moment, along with Blizzard and LucasArts. Can't think of any more off the top of my head.

Lucasarts adventure games were the best. Before my time, but the best.

Radioactive Isotope

Oregon Trail FTW! you were, like, the coolest kid EVER if you could beat it in one computer class.

i also had several games on 5 1/4" floppies when i was little. my favorites were hangman and google math.

Chickenman

Oregon Trail would make a great t-shirt. And some devilishly handsome up-and-coming comedian should wear said shirt while performing, and then have his picture taken while doing so. And that witty, hilarious, handsome, and god-damned beautiful young man should post that picture in the What Do We Look Like? thread.

Uncle Du

It was definitely a bad ass shirt. ;)

Chickenman

Thank you.

I'm glad somebody appreciates the things I buy with my parents' money. :( :p

Drake

Oregon Trail would make a great t-shirt. And some devilishly handsome up-and-coming comedian should wear said shirt while performing, and then have his picture taken while doing so. And that witty, hilarious, handsome, and god-damned beautiful young man should post that picture in the What Do We Look Like? thread.

Dane Cook posted his picture on GB?

Bad furday

I hate dane cook. :evil:

Chickenman

:(

Andy

Chickenman is Dane Cook!?

I don't know who that is.

Chickenman

You lucky British b******s! Has he really not become that popular over on that side of the pond?

Andy

To be fair, most US comedians don't become that popular over here. lol

Chickenman

Yeah, I know. American humor doesn't seem to really make it over there, which is probably a good thing because so much of American humor is this boring, sitcom "Men and Women are different!" style. Though in recent years it's gotten much more alternative and inventive and much more fun. The only American who's been successful over there that I can think of is Greg Proops, who's actually more popular there than here. Which is a shame, because he's hilarious. To be perfectly honest though, Canada churns out the most consistently great comedians, in my opinion.

Anyway, Dane Cook is this overrated comedian that's massively popular with teenaged girls over here because he's so gawsh dern hawt. In 2004 or 5 he released the highest selling comedy album since Steve Martin's Wild and Crazy Guy, and again, I'm not sure he had much crossover appeal with you guys, but Steve Martin was a damned comedy rock star in the 70s. There's been a massive backlash against Cook in recent years, with comedians and fans that truly follow comedy absolutely loathing him. To be honest, I used to be a fan of him, and he was one of the first stand-ups I ever really followed, but I outgrew him pretty quick. He's a good performer and puts on a good, high-energy show, and I'm sure he works his ass off at it, but I just find his comedy unfunny and a lot of people also find him arrogant. *Shrug*

Drake

His stand-up is hit or miss but I find that he does better in movies.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.