Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

The Great Depression 2: Depression Harder

Princess

Only the plant in Orion, Mi is being shut down permanently. The Powertrain plant 5 minutes from me is shut down right now too, but most plants are.

Radioactive Isotope

It's gonna be tough. People have to realize that they may have to move to get new jobs.

i applied for a job in Alabama the other day. darn school here saturating the market on top of the reactor issues is not making me feel good about job prospects.

Mara

It's gonna be tough. People have to realize that they may have to move to get new jobs.

Yeah, ain't gonna find any in our sorry state.

Uncle Du

i applied for a job in Alabama the other day. darn school here saturating the market on top of the reactor issues is not making me feel good about job prospects.

A friend of mine runs a daycare in Alabama and offered my wife a job to run the front office. Wish we could move right now. :(

Yeah, ain't gonna find any in our sorry state.

Same here.

Radioactive Isotope

well, i didn't get the Alabama job. so i guess it doesn't matter. :(

Chickenman

I'm sorry. :(

On the bright side, you don't have to go to Alabama. Silver lining, right? :p :(

Bad furday

Certainly sounds like a silver lining! :p

Radioactive Isotope

you forget who you're talking to. :p i don't think i would have minded Alabama. at least it would be warmer there.

Ender

Maybe, but you'd have to deal with hurricane season.

Uncle Du

But then you can have hurricane parties.

Mara

Just don't bring Stormy the Ice Hog.

Andy

well, i didn't get the Alabama job. so i guess it doesn't matter. :(

Alabama sounds a bit lame anyway. :p

Radioactive Isotope

Maybe, but you'd have to deal with hurricane season.

last year i had to deal with hurricane season. last i checked, they weren't supposed to make it to Kentucky. ;)

the job was in Huntsville, which isn't far from the Tennessee border. so far enough north, i think, to dodge most hurricanes.

Uncle Du

Whoa, that's weird, that's where my friend lives...we could have almost been neighbors!!! :p

Princess

Just when we're starting to slide out of the recession, we're going to dive right back in. Gas prices are going up and people are already cutting back. They're going to have less disposable income and we're going to see less travel and I don't know about where you live, but Michigan's economy also depends heavily on summer tourism and travel.

Radioactive Isotope

Yup. Our gas is high because Derby season is approaching.

Mara

Pfft. Gas prices were high last month. Nothing new.

But... I paid $3.59 last Friday, after waiting in line, and I felt weird actually being excited to see a station at $3.64 (I got 5 cents off with my credit card).

Princess

They weren't $4 a gallon last month

Ayingel

My biggest problem is that I can't change my driving habits. Robert has to go to drill two hours away one weekend a month, I work 18 miles from home, church is 3 miles away, grocery is just over a mile away, and if I want to see any friends or family, I have to pay.

Mara

They weren't $4 a gallon last month

Maybe not exactly a month ago, but two-three weeks ago, yeah. I've seen it at $3.99 before. And I'm sure this won't be the last time, either.

Back then I decided I'm not gonna drive unless necessary. So basically just to work and back. The rest of my money gets saved away for my house.

However, I think my brakes on my car have an issue.. so there's who knows how much money I'll have to shell out to fix them.

At least it's payday tomorrow. :p

Drake

This reminds me...I need to buy a new bike. :p

Ayingel

Plan for at least $700 for brakes.

Mara

Well, a guy from church who used to have a shop is doing it for $75 (labor), and my dad said the parts will probably be about the same. Though, I don't know if he meant total or each, for the front brakes and rotors. :p Whatever Advanced is charging for 'em.

So it won't be too bad. Hopefully.

Edited by Mara

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.