Drake 53 Posted October 3, 2008 She does need them. They might not be very strong, however. I was looking on Google for anything that might back up your claim and found this in one story concerning the glasses being a designer fashion, or something. "Palin is nearsighted and has slight astigmatism, Leedham says. She does not wear bifocal lenses." Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
TheUnknown 39 Posted October 4, 2008 I hate being a purple state. Bleah. Looks like you're no longer going to have to worry about that. McCain is pulling out of Michigan. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Chickenman 9 Posted October 4, 2008 (edited) The man should have been practicing abstinence. Palin did much better than I expected, but that's because my expectations were so low. I gotta say though, she seems to be treating this election like it's some big game, like she's a schoolgirl who was asked to play football with the big kids instead of hopscotch. Like she's out there to have fun and has no idea of the historical significance this election will hold. Those flash cards they gave her really worked wonders though, cause she did a great job of spouting meaningless catchphrases. 2 Mentions of Soccers parents, hockey moms, and of course, the always popular, "Joe Six-Pack". 6 uses of the word "Maverick" despite the fact that since 2004 or so, McCain has voted overwhelmingly along party lines. And Governor Palin, just because McCain made an unpredictable, zany choice in picking you as president, does not make you a Maverick. Countless "folksy" sentences designed to rally small-town America and remeind them that "Hey, I'm just like you!""Dern right" "Say it ain't so Joe," "Now doggone it,"etc.Still though, I've got to hand it to her...she did an excellent job of making it look like she knew what she was talking about. Bravo. Edited October 4, 2008 by Chickenman Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Chickenman 9 Posted October 4, 2008 Nevermind what I said about her speaking better than I thought. It looked better on a transcript, cause you can't see just how often she was reading off of cue cards behind her desk. I was really hoping she had actually learned a few things in the past few weeks, but it appears she's probably just as inept as she was before. God it's terrifying that she's going to have the nuclear launch codes when McCain becomes the first President to die in office of old age. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
TheUnknown 39 Posted October 4, 2008 Well, I think that possibility is what's scaring many people away from McCain-Palin. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Chickenman 9 Posted October 5, 2008 But there are so many that are absolutely falling head-over-heels in love with her, and that's horrifying. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
TheUnknown 39 Posted October 5, 2008 Very true, but more are repulsed by her. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Ana 15 Posted October 5, 2008 And some who initially fell in love with Palin are quickly falling out of love and urging her to bow out. (I like the sponsored McCain-Palin ads on such an article. ) Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Mara 29 Posted October 7, 2008 I hate being a purple state. Bleah. Looks like you're no longer going to have to worry about that. McCain is pulling out of Michigan. I know! 50% less campaign ads, yay!! Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Radioactive Isotope 29 Posted October 7, 2008 (edited) ugh, campaign ads. i'll be SO glad when the election's over. but then they'll just start with next year's ads and we'll never get a break. :mad: Edited October 7, 2008 by Radioactive Isotope Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Chickenman 9 Posted October 7, 2008 I think you get a break for a year, JM. :p Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Radioactive Isotope 29 Posted October 7, 2008 some people running in our area like to start early. the whole name recognition thing. :p Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Drake 53 Posted October 7, 2008 Just one week until the Canadian Federal Election and things are looking a whole lot different now than in 2006. We now have a fifth party taking the stage and emerging as a major player in the election: the Green Party. They have a member running in pretty much every riding across the country now and their leader was, for the first time ever, allowed to take part in the French and English language leaders' debates. Acoording to a national polling company, she won the English debate, which is impressive for a first-timer going up against the grizzled veterans from the other four parties. Additionally, they've released national TV ads, also for the first time. With a solid and sensible platform, I'm looking forward to seeing how big their corner of the House of Commons with grow from their current one seat. This time around, it's looking as though the Greens and New Democrats are pushing back the Liberals and Conservatives, at least in my area. Most of the commercials I've seen are from the former parties and I've seen practically none from the Liberals. It could just be that I rarely watch TV, lol. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
TheUnknown 39 Posted October 7, 2008 So does it still look like Stephen Harper will get his majority? Is the U.S. election having any effect? Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Drake 53 Posted October 7, 2008 (edited) I'm thinking that a Conservative majority is still out of the question. The other parties, especially the NDP, are strong. Harper may very well win a second term but it will still be a minority. That's how I see it, anyway. I'm not sure the US election is having much of an effect but your major issues are. Your economic crisis is a concern for Canadians as well since our two countries are linked. Same with the war. Canadian troops are the main force in Afghanistan and what the US does in Iraq will affect what we do there. Edited October 7, 2008 by Drake Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Drake 53 Posted October 7, 2008 For anyone who may be interested, here's a link to the Canadian Leaders' Debate. I'm watching it now and it amuses me mostly because the leaders of the opposition parties are attacking Prime Minister Harper on almost every issue (the Liberal leader almost to the point of yelling) and he just sits there, smiles and replies in his damnable calm voice. Elizabeth May, the Green leader, is doing well. The other four are all used to eachother and therefore go after eachother's policies. They aren't used to the Green Party so she seems to slip past their criticisms and nail her points across. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Mara 29 Posted October 7, 2008 ugh, campaign ads. i'll be SO glad when the election's over. but then they'll just start with next year's ads and we'll never get a break. But we'll still have those annoying DTV ads until February. I'll be glad when those and election ads are over. Though, I am curious to see what the pro/against marijuana people come up with. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Chickenman 9 Posted October 9, 2008 Cindy McCain just called Obama's campaign the dirtiest campaign in American history. You'd think she'd know better, too, after all: It looks like she was around for the invention of politics. But demeaning personal attacks aside,* has she been paying any attention at all to her husband's campaign? Seriously? McCain is by far been running the more misleading campaign in this election. Lipstick on a pig comes to mind. McCain ewoking admitted that he didn't think that's what Obama meant, but, in his own defense, he reminded us that Obama wouldn't meet with him for a series of town hall debates. "Yes sir, I did in fact slip your daughter some roofies and have my way with her, but you see, this wouldn't have happened if you hadn't parked in a handicap spot." Hey, you know what was a pretty dirty campaign? The one where Bush cronies accused this girl: of being the illigitmate black child of John McCain. That girl being your adopted daughter from Bangladesh? Remember that? That was a pretty dirty campaign. You've seen some dirty campaigning. Not a single thing Obama has said even comes close to that, Mrs. McCain, and you are dishonoring your own child by saying that. You should be ashamed. *Okay, maybe not all of them. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Ana 15 Posted October 9, 2008 C'mon, Chicken. Let's not sink to her level with the childish insults, eh? In other news, A critical in-depth report by the Rolling Stone on John McCain's personal history. Long, but definitely worth the read. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
TheUnknown 39 Posted October 9, 2008 Drake, when is the Canadian election? It's after our election isn't it? Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Drake 53 Posted October 10, 2008 Nope. Next week. October 14. Just like Thanksgiving, we beat you again. :p Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
TheUnknown 39 Posted October 10, 2008 I expect full reporting. Go Liberals/NDP/Greens. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Drake 53 Posted October 10, 2008 (edited) Haha, will do. Here's a video rant from the Rick Mercer Report, one of the satirical political pundits up here, about students and voting. He takes a different angle at trying to get young people to vote. It's aimed towards Canadian kids but the gist of the message gets across. Edited October 10, 2008 by Drake Share this post Link to post Share on other sites