Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Gay Marriage

Radioactive Isotope

exactly

Uncle Du

Yea right. When the majority of parents start taking responsibility for their kids again, I'll stop drinking. And I ain't worried about having to give up beer.

Radioactive Isotope

unfortunately, that's all too true

GI_Admiral

lol morality. Humans are naturally evil, and so those who try to have upstanding morality have to work hard at it, and let's be honest.,..this is america we're talking about...1% work hard here, and then we blame the economy on the mexicans :p

Brumak

"Humans are such idiots. Such hopeless, warped creatures. Always pretending...

They made this barb wite fence called morality...and spill their own blood on it."

Rogue

Legal in Jersey as of today

Andy

Is that New Jersey, or a different place called Jersey? lol

TheUnknown

Legal in Jersey as of today

Civil unions, not gay marriage.

Andy

I don't see the point in being technical about it. The only real difference (at least in the UK anyway) is that marriage can be religious, whereas a civil partnership isn't. In the UK the rights and legal status of a CP between gay couples is the same as those of marriage between straight couples.

Brumak

I believe with the civil union, one partner isn't allowed to visit the other if they're in a hospital dying. Which I find to be complete and total bs.

Ayingel

that is really dumb...who would come up with something like that?

Radioactive Isotope

the government :p

but that is rediculous. if you're dying, you should be able to have whoever you want around you.

Brumak

You can have family members see you....but civil unions aren't considered being related...it's retarded.

Rogue

Well, I think NJ is the third state to allow Civil Unions. We're a pretty influential state, and it's a start in the right direction.

Princess

But I still think that it's not the same. As we learned with segregation, separate but equal is not equal and the same thing applies for marriage and civil unions. If you love someone, it doesn't matter if you're gay or straight, if you love the person and you know their wishes and you've been the one taking care of them, you should be allowed to make those end of life decisions.

Chickenman

Hello can of worms, you haven't been opened in a while.

New Hampshire and Maine approve same sex marriage

...and were immediately swallowed up by the Earth, their inhabitants condemned to a life of eternal hellfire. :mad:

But anyway, cool beans. New England is just missing Rhode Island to go for the full set. I don't think it'll take too long either. RI is a pretty progressive state, often voting Democrat with higher percentage than any other state. We're also a very Catholic state, and Catholics (at least Rhode Island Catholics) seem to be a bit more progressive than other Christian sects.

It's truly amazing the strides that have been taken in the past few weeks. There was a really great article I read a few weeks ago that pretty much declared the debate on its last legs. It raised some good points, and I'll see if I can track it down. Even so, it's going to be awhile before the bible belt gets freedomized, but I mean...things are looking good. :)

Winters

I think that you shouldn't use the word "freedomized" next to the phrase "Bible Belt", the Bible Belt might not like it...

Drake

We prefer "denominations" instead of "sects", thank you very much. :p

And Catholics? Progressive? Madness.

Chickenman

We prefer "denominations" instead of "sects", thank you very much. :p

My apologies. It was early in the morning and I couldn't find the right word, lol.

I'm not sure if you're being sarcastic or not, so I'm just going to assume you are. :p

I think that you shouldn't use the word "freedomized" next to the phrase "Bible Belt", the Bible Belt might not like it...

Hence why I said it. :p

Chickenman

I'd just like to add that the sooner gay marriage is legalized, the sooner the realities of married life can suck the joy out of their hearts and they'll no longer have the urge to take part in their silly parades.

Just a thought. :p

Uncle Du

Haha!

Winters

Actually, a majority of American Catholics are quite liberal... we ignore the Church and it's crazy former Hitler Youth Pope. There's some who are extremes like Mel Gibson who's getting divorced... but overall, American Catholics are very progressive (we're like 76% Democrat)

Andy

I'd just like to add that the sooner gay marriage is legalized, the sooner the realities of married life can suck the joy out of their hearts and they'll no longer have the urge to take part in their silly parades.

Ever thought the parades might be mainly for fun these days? At least here anyway; we already have legalised same-sex partnerships.

Besides, everyone else is free to have their own parades... I'm pretty sure the church does have it's own parades on occasion, and I don't complain about them. lol

Chickenman

Actually, a majority of American Catholics are quite liberal... we ignore the Church and it's crazy former Hitler Youth Pope. There's some who are extremes like Mel Gibson who's getting divorced... but overall, American Catholics are very progressive (we're like 76% Democrat)

You truly are the master of tact.

I wouldn't say "ignore" is the right word. I think a lot of American Catholics just tend to disagree with some of the Church's views. A lot seem to see the Pope as at least a little fallible. That isn't to say they ignore their own church.

For the last kriffing time, every citizen in Germany under Hitler's rule was a member of the Nazi Party. Most Nazis were actually good people that were caught in a crazy furor. (The Fuhrer's furor, you could say. But don't. It'll make you sound like an idiot) As a student of history, you should know that. It was funny to call him a Nazi for the first week, but can we please move on and stop slandering the guy? Not for his sake, but for the sake of the person saying it. Because it makes that person sound like an ignoramus.

Also, Mel Gibson's divorce has nothing to do with anything.

Ever thought the parades might be mainly for fun these days? At least here anyway; we already have legalised same-sex partnerships.

Besides, everyone else is free to have their own parades... I'm pretty sure the church does have it's own parades on occasion, and I don't complain about them. lol

I was kidding about the parades. I seem to have a problem of letting people know when I am and am not in sarcasm mode (Hint: Almost always)

Winters

1). Not everyone in Nazi Germany was a supporter or member of the Nazi party. I actually just finished a paper about the German Resistance during WWII. Many Germans actually entered the regular army to make sure they were not forced to join the party and also my favorite conductor, Wilhelm Furtwangler, was never a member of the Nazi party and was active in opposing them, despite conducting for them.

2). I mention his past as a joke. I'm sorry, but despite the fact that it is old, considering that the Conclave in which Popes are elected is Divinely Sactioned (according to us, you don't have to believe what we do) and the Almighty choose a guy who joined the party that hated Catholics (Hitler didn't go after the Church and Catholics directly, but many priests were arrested and put into concentration camps, not to mention the "blind devotion" that Catholicism calls for was frowned upon by the Nazis because it took "power" away from them because those people were focused on religion rather than the Nazi party.) I'm going to assume you're not Catholic because every single liberal Catholic I know still is bitter over the fact that we choose a former Hitler Youth member.

3). Mel Gibsons divorce was a subtle joke about how a super-Catholic is doing the one thing Catholics are not suspposd to do, plus he would represent the conserative Catholics.

4). It's called Cafeteria Catholics, we pick and choose what we want from Catholicism. We just find something we like and go with that, then just pretent that the rest isn't there or just not care.

Trust me, I'm Catholic and a history major. I always know what I'm saying when it comes to history.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.