Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

Gay Marriage

Tsl

But I think faith is playing a role in error.

People are against it because they don't like it and because it creeps them out.

Marriage is closely intwined with the Christian faith, but it does not belong to it. Pretty much all cultures and religions that I am aware of have some form of marriage. Therefore, I don't believe it is right or fair to look at this and condemn it for being anti-Christian.

Ender

I honestly couldn't care less on this subject. I'm not against gay marriage, but the argument has gone on for so long that I just don't care anymore what happens.

Mara

Actually, arranged marriages have a higher success rate than modern marriages.

Alexander

The numbers of modern marriages compared to arrange marriages is so distant that such a comparison doesn't really work. If they were both statistically equivalent, then things like the success rates could be analyzed.

GI_Admiral

lol I feel i should try to clarify something.

Many of you see arranged marriage as they basically get married when they're 5 and then never see each other until they're 18 and then they suddenly get married.

That's usually not true. While some cases and in the past it was true, many times, the children have a say in who they'll marry, and it's not done when they're little kids. It's done when they're 20-30.

Furthermore, many cultures with arranged marriage place a lot of emphasis on respect and honor, and I guess image. ((I am basing this off of Korean culture so dunno about Indian and what not)). Which will make them stay together even if they don't necessarily love each other.

Tsl

What does that have to do with anything exactly? :p

Chickenman

And this has everything to do with faith, no matter what you say.

Wrong. Wrong wrong wrong wrong wrong. Believe it or not, it's not just christians who get married. Believe it or not, there are many people who get married without a ceremony. Believe it or not, atheists can get married. Marriage may have something to do with Christianity, but Chirstianity has nothing to do with marriage. Crazyness, eh?

Furthermore, many cultures with arranged marriage place a lot of emphasis on respect and honor, and I guess image. ((I am basing this off of Korean culture so dunno about Indian and what not)). Which will make them stay together even if they don't necessarily love each other.

That's what I always say whenever someone brings up that statistic. You'd practically be shunned from your entire culture if you were to leave an arranged marriage. Whereas in cultures where divorce in common, it's not as big a deal if they divorce.

Princess

I think I'm ill. I'm actually agreeing with GI

GI_Admiral

Oh god, what's this world coming to, GI is sprouting truth!!! :p

TheUnknown

I support allowing gays to marry. Marriage, contrary to what has been said by some, is not at its core a Christian ceremony. Sure, it can have Christian overtones. To marry, people must get a marriage certificate from the state, not a church. And think about all the marriages you've been to. Doesn't the preacher always say, "by the power invested in me by the state of [insert state]..."? Furthermore, as has been said, if marriage were really a Christian ceremony, then Jews, Atheists, Muslims, Hindus, Buddhists, etc. would either be forced not to get married or do so in a ceremony not of their faith.

Mara

What does that have to do with anything exactly? :p

Someone mentioned it.

Princess

When and where? You're not doing a very good job of defending your point

Alexander

I took it as she was responding to someone who mentioned arrange marriages.

Mara

That's all it was.

Tsl

I mentioned it to point out that love and marriage didn't always go together, even in new testament times.

Mickey

Thanks not what Frank Sinatra says.

Alexander

Love and marriage... dododo... Love and marriage... dododo...

Ana

Copy and pasted from my friend's LJ:

12 reasons why gay people should not be allowed to get married.

1. Homosexuality is not natural, much like eyeglasses, polyester, and birth control.

2. Heterosexual marriages are valid because they produce children. Infertile couples and old people can't legally get married because the world needs more children.

3. Obviously, gay parents will raise gay children, since straight parents only raise straight children.

4. Straight marriage will be less meaningful if gay marriage is allowed, since Britney Spears' 55-hour just-for-fun marriage was meaningful.

5. Heterosexual marriage has been around a long time and hasn't changed at all; women are property, blacks can't marry whites, and divorce is illegal.

6. Gay marriage should be decided by people, not the courts, because the majority-elected legislatures, not courts, have historically protected the rights of the minorities.

7. Gay marriage is not supported by religion. In a theocracy like ours, the values of one religion are imposed on the entire country. That's why we have only one religion in America.

8. Gay marriage will encourage people to be gay, in the same way that hanging around tall people will make you tall.

9. Legalizing gay marriage will open the door to all kinds of crazy behavior. People may even wish to marry their pets because a dog has legal standing and can sign a marriage contract.

10. Children can never succeed without a male and a female role model at home. That's why single parents are forbidden to raise children.

11. Gay marriage will change the foundation of society. Heterosexual marriage has been around for a long time, and we could never adapt to new social norms because we haven't adapted to things like cars or a longer lifespan.

12. Civil unions, providing most of the same benefits as marriage with a different name are better, because a "separate but equal" institution is always constitutional. Separate schools for African-Americans worked just as well as separate marriages for gays and lesbians will.

And if you don't see the invisible sarcasm tags, then... wow.

Princess

*applauds*

Andy

lol, nice :p

I love sarcasm :D

GI_Admiral

Hey! Dont make fun of my blindness! :(

But yes, Nice list! :D

Alexander

How can one see *invisible* sarcasm tags? Something being invisible implies that no one can see it!

Chickenman

Snap.

Andy

How can one see *invisible* sarcasm tags? Something being invisible implies that no one can see it!

Perhaps the comment about invisible sarcasm tags actually had invisible sarcasm tags around it. ;)

GI_Admiral

But it could have invisible sarcasm tags around THAT!

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.