Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Machiavelli

Does the prophecy of the Chosen One make sense?

Radioactive Isotope

GL is an idiot. hardcore fans know his creation better than he does.

Andy

I'm sure he really cares. :p

Radioactive Isotope

yeah, probably not. :p

Uncle Du

Cause he hasn't made enough money off this whole endeavor. :p

Chickenman

Okay, here's how I see the prophecy:

When the Dark Side started clouding everything after episode 1, the balnce tipped in the dark side's favor. Anakin turned to the dark side, thus plunging the galaxy deep into darkness. He then hurled Paply down the shaft, and the death of palpy brough balance back to the galaxy. The dark side no longer clouded everything. Anakin was the Chosen One, and brought balance to the Force, however, what the council didn't see, was that he'd first plunge the galaxy into darkness for a couple dozen years.

starwarsperson

From what I understand the prophecy is that "there is a Chosen One and that he will bring balance to the Force".

This doesn't make sense because there is no good or dark side of the Force. The Jedi and the Sith both use the same Force but for different purporses. So by destroying the Sith or the Jedi, the Force is not affected but the number of people using the Force for good or evil has changed.

Therefore the Force cannot be balanced as it is either a constant, always growing or in decline.

What do you think?

Wow! That's amazingly insightful.

I didn't look at it that way. hmm...

Edited by AlfSommers

TheUnknown

I like the theory that Jacen is the Chosen One (almost spelled as "Chozen").

TheUnknown

Alright, I've thought about it and here's what I can come up with:

The concept of the light and dark sides and balance is borrowed for Daoism. If I remember correctly, Daoism belives that both light and dark must exist and be in balance or things get ewoked up. The dark side seeks to destroy the light. The light side doesn't do the same thing, just vice-versa. They can't. They can only answer the dark with light because if they went seeking to vanquish the Dark Side, they would be acting out of aggression and thus falling to the Dark Side themselves.

So, I guess you could say Vader/Anakin does bring balance, it's just delayed. His actions, in a weird, twisted way, help destroy the corruption in the Senate and Palpatine.

Ayingel

that is true...on all accounts..

Uncle Du

My head hurts.

*goes in search of something less thought provoking* :p

amandizzle

My take on this:

Annakin Skywalker brought balance to the force by his actions causing there to be:

2 Sith lords

only 2 Jedi.

Chickenman

Well, if going from a thousand or so Jedi to 2 is balancing the Force, why did the Jedi want Anakin to be trained? The Dark Side began growing more powerful after episode 2, as evidenced by Yoda and Mace being so concerned about how they felt the dark side clouding everything. When Vader hurled Palpy down the shaft, it set the scale back to normal, no light advantage, no dark advantage.

Ana

... except for Sir Luke teh Whiney.

Chickenman

But Luke doesn't try to gain power. Like Unknown said:

The concept of the light and dark sides and balance is borrowed for Daoism. If I remember correctly, Daoism belives that both light and dark must exist and be in balance or things get ewoked up. The dark side seeks to destroy the light. The light side doesn't do the same thing, just vice-versa. They can't. They can only answer the dark with light because if they went seeking to vanquish the Dark Side, they would be acting out of aggression and thus falling to the Dark Side themselves.

So that would mean the only way for the balance to be tipped is if the Dark Side gains power.

Brukhar

i think the Jedi misunderstood their own prophecy

2 Jedi and then 2 Sith at one time to balance out

however, the Jedi thought (incorrectly) that "balance" meant the light side destroying the dark side altoghter

although some other people here have interesting and plausible theories too

Princess

Ok then, if bringing balance to the force means 2 light and 2 dark jedi, well let's see you have Obi Wan and Yoda to balance Palpy and Vader. But what about Luke and Leia and all the other Jedi in hiding?

Andy

Luke and Leia weren't Jedi though. They didn't even know they had the potential to be Jedi, or even what one was.

SoftballJedi

Leia didn't know about the Jedi?

Chickenman

Everyone knew what the Jedi were, but she didn't know she had the potential to be one. She found out in ROTJ when Luke told her he was his brother.

As for there needing to be the same exact number of Jedi in order to balance the Force...that's impossible. You can't have the same number. Say you have 100 sith and 99 Jedi. So now the universe is thrown into chaos because the sith have one more jedi? What if they're equal, both with 100 members, and then a Jedi dies of natural causes? Does that mean the Dark Side rules the universe, simply because a Jedi passed away? I doubt it. I think Unknown's theory is the best answer. The Light balances the scale by countering the Dark Side. The light side doesn't seek to become more powerful than the dark, it simply tries to stop the dark from becoming more powerful.

TheUnknown

I think everyone saying that balance means the same number of Jedi and Sith are forgetting that not all force users are equal in raw power.

Chickenman

Damn you Unknown! Just...stop..being smart...for a day!

:p

Princess

That'd be like asking Ender to not want to carry a gun and shoot something for a day

Radioactive Isotope

or asking Furday to not say anything suggestive for a day

Machiavelli

Good day people.

After reading all the replies to my observation, I don't think anyone can really give a definite answer. I'm still convinced I'm right but i could be wrong and some responses are just as valid as mine.

So here's another theory:

In episode 1 Qui-Gon tells Obi-Wan "to be mindful of the living force." The keyword here is 'living'. You and I are living. If we use the human body to represent the force, then exercise, a healthy diet and so on represent the Jedi and smoking, drinking, drugs and the like represent the Sith. Although the Jedi and the Sith are not are not exactly needed for the body (force) to continue being, the Jedi are more integral to the survivial of the force. If the Sith are allowed to take over, the force is inevitably doomed.

In conclusion, althought the use of the force by the Jedi makes it skewed to one side it does in effect make the force more 'balanced'. If the Sith ie. drugs, alcohol etc are eliminated from the equation, the force lives a healthier more balanced life.

Andy

It's definitly an intresting theory

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.