Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Mara

Food Heaven

Mara

Hey, I'm glad it worked out for ya. :)

You could probably always use ground beef instead of the sausage if you wanted more meatiness to it.

Uncle Du

It was good without the meat, and that's saying something. ;)

Mara

Wows. :p

Though, I suppose the pepperoni counts as meat. :p

Andy

I think we need a "like" button for this topic. ;)

You know what, now we kinda do! :p

Uncle Du

Indeed!!

Radioactive Isotope

hopefully, ya'll won't get too frustrated with the instructions on this one. my grandmother taught me how to cook by using the tastes/smells/looks right method. it drives my mom crazy. ;)

Bruschetta

-Fresh basil, chopped to desired size

-Fresh tomatoes diced, as many as you like

-2 cloves of garlic, diced

-1 small onion, diced (i prefer the red ones)

-Olive oil

-Feta cheese (optional, but i like it because it helps soak up some of the liquid)

Combine ingredients until you get the desired mix. Basically, till it looks right. Mine generally has a pretty even mix of tomato and basil and a swirl or two of olive oil. Again, you can leave the Feta out if you're really watching calories, but I like it. For bread, you can either bake up a French baguette, or butter some bread and sprinkle a little garlic powder before toasting. Refrigerate any leftovers.

Mara

Measuring is overrated anyway. ;)

Ender

So, Thanksgiving is coming, which I'm ridiculously excited for this year. Anybody got tips, questions, special things you/your family does?

Princess

Instead of having dinner rolls, we have homemade cinnamon rolls which I have to make on Saturday. From scratch.

Drake

I enjoy sliced sweet potatoes topped with brown sugar and marshmallows. So unhealthy but so very delicious!

Bad furday

One of my aunts makes butternut squash from scratch :D

Radioactive Isotope

My grandmother makes an apple/raisin stuffing that is to die for.

Mara

We don't really have anything special, lol.

My mom's gonna use a roaster for her turkey this year, though. Instead of doing it in the oven in a turkey bag.

Ender

Got to be careful when doing the whole bird, particularly in a roaster. The breast cooks in a lot less time than does the legs, so I've always done them separately, so the white meat doesn't get overcooked and gross. We've been brining our bird the past few years too, and it's turned out really well.

Princess

People actually use those roasting bags? Weird

Uncle Du

The bags actually work really well.

But IMO, frying a turkey is the best way to go, hands down. It's really hard to screw up. I've never had a juicier bird in my life. My buddies and I would always fry up two whole ones, one to eat that day, and one for leftovers.

Here's a few tips for frying a turkey: 1) ALWAYS make sure it's completely thawed. That is the most important thing to remember. You have to thaw it in the fridge, not out in the open. It will take about 48 hours to completely thaw a 12-15 pound turkey. 2) When frying a turkey, you have to cook it for three minutes per pound, and then add 5 minutes at the end. So, a 12 pound turkey will cook for approximately 41 minutes. 3) Use a rub on the turkey. This can be anything that you want, whatever you like really. Putting a rub on the bird will create a nice crispy layer on the outside that will hold all the juices in. 4) This is optional, but I love doing this: inject your turkey. They make injection kits that you can buy, but I've found the best thing is butter. Real butter. Melt a stick of unsalted butter and use the injector to get all the major meaty areas of the turkey. Yea, it's butter, and not the best thing for you, but OMG, the taste is unbelievable!! So juicy and flavorful!

Some other things of note if you fry a turkey. Make sure that the frier is set up in an open area, away from any obstructions. Ensure that it is set on a solid base. If the frier for some reason does tip over, you want to make sure that there's nothing around that's going to combust with the hot oil. Peanut oil is the best for this. Always follow the directions that come with the frier. You will not regret the investment in a turkey frier, trust me.

Mara

Yeah, the bags are awesome. It stays nice and moist.

I'd like to try a fried turkey sometime, though. But I don't really see getting a fryer worth it right now.

Well, my mom has this new roaster she got last year. Goes on the counter, plugs in, has a lid. She's done a ham in it before, and it turns out pretty good. And, honestly, I always find the white meat a bit dry (just the way it is, always less moist than dark), no matter how a turkey is done. It'll be good. Better than having reheated day-old turkey at my aunt's house.

Uncle Du

Frying pretty much ensures that the whole turkey is moist and not dry.

Princess

I always get up at 6am with my dad and we make the stuffing by hand, clean the turkey, stuff it. Then we put him in the roasting pan, slather him with olive oil and into the oven at 425* until his temperature thing pops up, then we turn the temperature way down and just keep basting him until he is the perfect brown. Then the turkey gets stripped of his skin by all of us vultures trying to get a good piece of skin before my dad carves it, burning our fingers the entire time.

Ender

I've always done the stuffing, and inside the turkey too, until a chef friend of mine told me all about the kind of bacteria and crap that rattles around inside turkey. So now I make it on the side, and mix it with stock I make a couple days in advance and the drippings from the turkey pan. And whatever other juicy, really-bad-for-you-but-tasty stuff happens to be laying around.

Princess

Pffft. As long as the turkey was cleaned and processed correctly bacteria isn't a problem. Especially once the turkey is cooked to a proper temperature

Ender

You really want to trust the grocery stores/wherever you get your bird for that?

Princess

My dad cleans the bird again before we stuff it. We also use a meat thermometer to make sure that it's properly cooked. We always get it over temperature so we're safe from foodborne illness. Microbiologist here, remember? :p

On a side note, our bird is just under 22lbs and his name is Crosby. Du, you should get the joke there

Uncle Du

:rofl:

Princess

I thought it was an appropriate name for a turkey. My grandma laughed when I told her today too

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.