Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Mara

Food Heaven

Mara

Ours is under 17 pounds, but that's 'cause my mom's roaster oven thing only holds up to 17. :p

And I think we've always done our stuffing on the side. *shrug* I dunno. I don't pay attention to the stuffing. I don't eat it. :p

And technically (fun fact alert!), it's only called stuffing when it's inside the turkey. On the side, it's called dressing. ;)

Andy

We always just do our Xmas turkey in the oven. Works well enough, I think you lot just like being awkward. :p

Radioactive Isotope

I dunno. Frying the bird sounds really good. Someday I'll have to try it.

Bad furday

We do ours in the oven as well. :) Dadders always gets a bit hyper with the electric carving knife, so I usually am wary /loathe to help him :p

Ender

Electric carving knife? Bah. Well-honed steel's all you need.

Uncle Du

If you fry a turkey correctly, you can cut it with a spoon. ;)

Drake

Electric knives are just prehistoric vibroblades. Don't knock 'em! ;)

Mara

And they carve a lot faster! :p

Princess

And Sid "The Clucker" Crosby is in the oven at a comfortably 425*F with his rear comfortably stuffed with stuffing

Princess

My dad is making bean soup, it smells amazing

Radioactive Isotope

Homemade Strawberry Jam

(Makes about eight 8-oz jars)

Ingredients:

8 cups fresh strawberries (2 one-pint containers will get you close)

4 tbsp lemon juice

7 cups granulated sugar

1 pkg (1.75 oz) fruit pectin (usually in the same aisle as mason jars and other canning equipiment)

Special equipment:

8-oz Mason jars with lids and screw bands (Available at WalMart)

Tongs or Jar lifter & magnetic wand (for removing jars and lids from hot water)

Pressure canner or very large pot

Cut stems off strawberries. Place cut strawberries in a flat bottom pan and mash with a potato masher (you can also run them through a blender or food processor for a smoother jam). Pour crushed berries into a large, deep saucepan and add lemon juice. Whisk in pectin. Bring mixture to a rolling boil and add all the sugar at once. Stir until sugar dissolves and bring back to a rolling boil. Boil hard for one minute.

Meanwhile, pepare mason jars by placing jars and lids in simmering (not boiling) water. When strawberry mixture is ready, ladle hot jam into hot jars (pour hot water from jars back into the pot) leaving 1/2" headspace. Be sure to set hot jars on a towel or pot holder and not directly on the counter. Remove any air bubbles using a non reactive spatula or spoon. Wipe off the rim and screw threads, center hot lid, and tighten the screw band until finger tight. Place jars in either a pressure canner or large pot. Be sure the jars are covered by at least 1 inch of water. Bring water to a rolling boil and process jars for 10 minutes after the water boils. Turn off heat and let jars sit in water for 5 minutes. Transfer jars to a towel covered counter and allow to cool to room temperature. Remove screw bands and store.

Edited by Radioactive Isotope

James the Defender

I made something with a southwestern flair tonight. Unfortunately, I do not have an exact recipe, as it was just an experiment. I took a Southwestern Mix and added tyme, sage, celery seed, red pepper, little garlic powder, and garlic salt and rubbed it on extra virgin olive oil smeared chicken. I baked that for a half-hour @350, then turned the oven off and let it sit there for another half hour. Chicken was so tender and juicy.

I then sautéed jalapeños and yellow corn in olive oil lightly adding the southwestern mix and some more garlic salt.

I took a chipotle tortilla and put just a little ranch dressing on it. I put down my chicken, then the sauté, then some rice and rolled it up. Some sour cream to some bites really finished it off. Some salsa would have made it oh, so lovely, but I'll use that next time. Incredible meal.

Edited by James the Defender

Jake Durron

Well last night's meal was freaking amazing... it is as follows:

Sirloin steaks, marinated in: 1 shot of Jameson, 1 shot of black tattoo rum, cayenne pepper, garlic, cajun seasoning and basil. Soak for at least two hours before grilling.

pair with a nice spinach, orange and feta salad with slivered ginger and a honey vinagerette and rice cooked with dill weed, sea salt and garlic.

The vinagarette recipie:

1/2 cup red wine vinagarette, 2 teaspoons honey, 1/2 teaspoon orange zest, 1/4 teaspoon cinnamon, a pinch of nutmeg, 1 fresh basil leaf and 1 fresh pepperment leaf crushed to infuse then add 1/4 cup of extra virgin olive oil to the mixture. store any leftovers in a jar or bottle as it'll keep for several months... best if shaken so the oil and vinegar mix up and then pour directly over the salad and toss.

Edited by Micah Durron

Pandora

I want to cook again. Hot dogs and mediocre sushi is getting boring.

Ayingel

I'm having Alaskan Pollock and chicken rice tonight :)

Princess

Kix

Pandora

Helped mama-in-law make fajitas. TUrned out pretty good. Just glad it wasn't a hamburger...

Edited by Pandora

Jake Durron

shake and bake chicken and broccoli... meh wasn't amazing but it was still nummy

Bad furday

Hey Prinnsters....we have a Keurig Elite now! :D

Princess

Yay!!!

Jake Durron

Gonna go eat Chipotle... mmmmmm

Jake Durron

Beer

oh and this: but this makes like three servings worth... at least the way I eat.

Southern Boil

1 red potato

3/4 cup raw spinach

1/8 of a white onion

2 largeish or 3 medium white mushrooms

1/4 cup of green beans

10 shrimp

paprika/cayenne/garlic/basil

and 1 tbsp of blue cheese

add a tiny bit of oil and let it cook in a pot for 10-15 minutes

Edited by Jake Durron

Princess

I just made Max and Erma's chicken tortilla soup and it tastes just like it

Radioactive Isotope

Had this at a friend's house and I think I'm addicted. It's super easy and delicious:

Sausage and Tomato Pasta

--Brown 1lb ground sausage

--In another pan, melt 1 tbs butter (or oil)

--Add minced garlic and onion to the butter (We both used a handful of dehydrated onion and probably a teaspoon of pre-minced garlic. You can use more or less if you like)

--Add 2 cans of diced tomatoes with juice to the garlic mix and let combine for a few minutes

--Add sausage to tomato mix

--Add sauce to cooked pasta (I recommend something like bowtie or penne) and top with Parmesan cheese

--Nom

Princess

I made a bunch of squash today. Roasted butternut squash and sweet onion puree. Roasted butternut squash and sweet and savory spaghetti squash. Unfortunately the kitchen tools and I aren't getting along and I now have a blister from a crappy knife on the same hand where I cut my wrist the other day

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.