Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Roethlisberger

Grade Anything

Alexander

I'd give I, Robot a "B-" personally. The movie could have been so much more than a summer flick, it had the potential and it danced around the edge of that potential, it only needed to dive into it.

Chickenman

Required Reading:

Shattered Mirror: B

An enjoyable book. A young vampire hunting witch goes to a new school, and befriends those which she hunts. In the end, she comes face to face with one of the most powerful vampires alive....well dead...erm...She comes face to face with one of the most powerful vampires.....

And get's her @$$ kicked. I didn't like the ending. It all built up to a climactic battle, and she lost too easily. The rest of the story was okay. The absolute best thing about the book though, was that it was so fast paced. I read it in one night. I liked that, because I really want to go back to non required reading. But I also like fast paced books.

Cuba A+

Stephen Coonts isn't the best known writer in his genre. That's not surprising, because he writes in the same genre as Tom Clancy. But that's besides the point. In the 80's he wrote a book based on his fighter pilot experience in Vietnam. It was a national bestseller. Since then, he has continued a whole series, following the main charachter of his first book. He stays small time, and only wishes to have a small, loyal fanbase (which I think I have just joined), instead of a big huge one like Clancy. That doesn't mean his writing doesn't rival Clancy though. Rear Admiral Jake Grafton is commanding a small Carrier Task force operating in the waters near Cuba. He is overseeing the removal of American Chemical and Biological Weapons which have been stored in Guantanomo Bay since the 60's. Little does he, or anyone else, know that Fidel Castro, dictator of Cuba is dying. The Americans want to make sure a good guy fills the position. Especially with the warheads in Guantanomo. What Jake Grafton finds out though, is that Alejo Vargas, leader of Cuba's military police, has already developed a biological weapon. In fact, he has six warheads aimed at large cities in America. He hopes to unite the Cuban people behind him in a war against the Americans. The American Military, of course, has something to say about that.

CorSec

Just gonna pose a question here. Concerning some DVDs.

Of the following, which would you recommend the highest?

Meaning of Life

Life of Brian

And Now for Something Completely Different

Seen all of em...except for Life of Brian. And I already own the Quest for teh Holy Grail. Just looking to get another.

Roethlisberger

Spider Man 2: Spider Man 2 is the best comic book movie ever. That's all I need to say so that's my review. Therefore, I change the A to an A+.

Spider Man 2 will likely be in my top five films of the year along with Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, and Kill Bill.

Collateral: A. Too lazy to write a review.

chozen

you people liked it?!!?!! even with all the corny ness?! too cheezey

Andy

Just gonna pose a question here. Concerning some DVDs.

Of the following, which would you recommend the highest?

Meaning of Life

Life of Brian

And Now for Something Completely Different

Seen all of em...except for Life of Brian. And I already own the Quest for teh Holy Grail. Just looking to get another.

Not seen "And Now for Something Completely Different" so, I'd have to say... Damn it's a tough decision... Both Meaning of Life and Life of Brian are great, although not as great as Holy Grail... Meaning of Life is definitely the weirdest of the lot, and is probably the most British comedyish of them all. Life of Brian is more silly comedy, that actually has a plot, like Holy Grail. Oh yeah, Meaning of Life has more adult humour in it too.

CorSec

Now for Something Completely Different is some of their best skits, thrown together in a random collection of humour. Sorta like Meaning of Life with less of a central idea. I really liked Meaning of Life...and I was younger at the time, so I could only find it more humourous now. Theoretically...hmmm

I do want to see Life of Brian though.

Andy

Oh I see... I've probably seen them all anyway then, if it's just a collection... Hmm.

Tsl

I'd vote for "And Now for Something Completely Different" But I haven't seen Meaning of Life yet...

Roethlisberger

Meaning of Life is hysterical, yet not uite as funny as Life of Brian. However, I know that Meaning of Life has the best DVD of the bunch. Life of Brian hasn't come out as a special edition yet, so I'd wait for that.

The best movie: Life of Brian

The Second best movie and best DVD: Meaning of Life

CorSec

Meaning of Life wins. Hurrah.

I'll end up getting em all eventually anyway :roll:

Roethlisberger

Get 'em all!!! :D

GI_Admiral

Gotta catch em all! Gonna be a Python master...I choose you Holy Grail!!! :p

Andy

:lol:

lol, you crazy person. :p

GI_Admiral

"Usually it's in bad tastes to do this, but the Asylum is having a yard sale, COME ON DOWN...WE'RE GOING CRAZY!!!!"

Chickenman

Life of Brian is great. I have yet to see the Holy Grail.

Andy

:eek:

See it. NOW!

Andy

Was just watching WarGames... forgot how good it was. I give it an A. :D

Radioactive Isotope

OMG, i love that movie. "Let's play thermonuclear warfare." :D

Andy

That's: Global Thermonuclear War :p

Radioactive Isotope

whatever. it's been a loooong time since i've seen it. :p

Tsl

Hehehe! Is that the one with the psycho computer...what was it's name..... That movie r0xx0r5!

Drake

Some books I've read recently:

The Hollow Chocolate Bunnies of the Apocalypse by Robert Rankin: A+

A hilarious satire and twist to the world of nursery rhymes. The story follows the adventures of a boy named Jack who travels to the City to seek his fortune. Upon arrival, he discovers the City is really called Toy City and is inhabited by walking, talking, thinking toys. Jack meets a teddy bear detective and must help him solve the mysterious murders of the Pre-adolescent Poetic Personalities (aka nursery rhyme characters). The story is full of twists and enjoyable plots. It starts of pretty strait-forward but gets a little confusing at the end. This story is not for children, however. It contains violence, sex and coarse language...which means everyone here will enjoy it. :p

Celtika by Robert Holdstock: A

The first book in the Merlin Codex. If you're into mythology, you might enjoy this book. It depicts the adventures of Merlin a century or two before he meets Arthur. It starts off with Merlin travelling to a magical frozen lake in the North where he raises Argo and the frozen body of Jason from it's depths. That's right, this story mixes two mythologies together. The joining of the two is quite well done too. Anyway, Merlin and Jason must rebuild the Argo and recruit new argonauts so that they might adventure South to Greek Land so that they can find one of Jason's two sons who was stolen away by Medea and hidden in the future.

The Iron Grail by Robert Holdstock: A-

The second book in the Merlin Codex. Merlin, Jason and the argonauts travel to the land of Alba (early name for England) in order to find Jason's second son. This book is interesting because much of it takes place in a land called Ghostland or the Otherworld, where the spirits of the Dead go to live after death and those of the Unborn await their lives to come. A few times in the book, Merlin meets an Unborn man named Pendragon. (Whoever knows who Pendragon is gets a point...and Tsl can't guess 'cause I already told her :p). I am awaiting the third book called The Broken Kings which is not yet published.

The Briar King by Greg Keyes: A+

This is a thoroughly enjoyable and exciting book. It's a great big mix of action, adventure, mystery, and magic with bits romance and political intrigue here and there. The story is in-depth and complex (in a good way) and draws your attention from start to finish. Now I'm starting to sound like the quotes from the back of the book...so I'll stop, lol.

First King of Shannara by Terry Brooks: A

This is a prequel to the original Shannara series. It's an excellent fantasy story that depicts the second great battle against the Warlock Lord and his armies and the events leading up to it. It introduces Jerle Shannara (who I can only assume is the namesake of the later series'). I'm about half way through this book but what I've read so far is very good.

Tsl

But I want a point! :(

Drake

You get a billion points because I love ya. :D

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.