• Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Andy

A New Dawn for Star Wars canon

Andy

Star Wars canon has been redefined, and what was the Expanded Universe will now become available under the "Legends" banner.Disney and Lucasfilm have announced that the old Expanded Universe is no longer canon, to give the storytellers of Star Wars Episode VII and onwards more freedom to create exciting new stories for fans.

The EU has not been totally swept away, though, as elements of it have been preserved as part of the new canon in Disney's new animated series Rebels. Recognising the popularity of the EU, old publications will still be available under a new "Legends" banner and will still be open to be adapted into the new canon.

Del Rey will continue as the publisher for Star Wars adult fiction, and future novels will be part of the new official canon. The first novel announced, by John Jackson Miller, is fittingly titled A New Dawn and will tie-in to Star Wars Rebels, and show how Kanan Jarrus and Hera Syndulla came together. It is scheduled for release as an eBook and hardcover novel on 2nd September 2014.

Three more titles have been revealed:

• Tarkin, by James Luceno. 4th November 2014.
  • Heir to the Jedi, by Kevin Hearne. January 2015
  • Lords of the Sith, by Paul Kemp. March 2015

It's a brave new world for Star Wars, and we'd love to hear your thoughts on this development.

Click here to view the article

Andy

I think it's pretty much what we all thought would happen. I'm actually not as cut up about it as I thought I would be...

Does this mean I get to restart the Star Wars timeline fresh, though? ;)

Drake

Since it's J.J. Abrams doing the new film, I'm going to go ahead and say it's an alternate timeline. Like he did with Star Trek.

Radioactive Isotope

Kindof a shame some of the old storylines won't see any resolution.

I also don't envy the Wookieepedia editors the massive overhaul that will be necessary.

Edited by Radioactive Isotope

Mara

Kindof a shame some of the old storylines won't see any resolution.

Agreed. Some of the (no longer) planned novels I had been looking forward to reading. :/

Andy

I also don't envy the Wookieepedia editors the massive overhaul that will be necessary.

I though that... I'm kind of glad I never finished the Star Wars Database now. :p

Mara

I kind of see this as the entire EU now being like the Infinities 'era'. Where it's a whole packed full AU, instead of just a few brief stories.

I'm still not sure how I feel about it, lol.    Part of me wants to never read another SW book again, in this new canon. Another part of me wants to forget everything I have read in the past 10+  years... which is hard, because there's probably been at least 100-200 novels or something.

Blarg.

Andy

Yeah, I don't know if they are keeping the publishing eras for the new canon or not. Hopefully they'll release more info

Your content will need to be approved by a moderator

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Similar Content

• Timeline discussion and feedback

This is the discussion and feedback thread for the Star Wars Timeline.
      If you spot any mistakes or omissions, or have any other suggestions for us, this is the place!
    • Guide to Star Wars canon

While wading through the treacherous universe of the Star Wars saga, you will inevitably have come across the word "canon", but just what does that mean?

What is Canon?
      The short answer is that Star Wars Canon is the official story of the Star Wars universe.
      The longer, more specific answer, is that the official canon consists of the Star Wars movies, The Clone Wars and Rebels animated TV shows, and any material published after 25th April 2014. 
      There are a few exceptions to the above rule, and how we got here needs a little more explanation.

The Expanded Universe
      Shortly after Disney acquired Lucasfilm and the Star Wars franchise, the Lucasfilm Story Group was created to redefine canon by decided which stories and events are officially recognised as being the true story of Star Wars. As a result, the vast majority of the Star Wars Expanded Universe (now known as Star Wars Legends) was stripped of it's canon status.
      If you're not familiar with the Expanded Universe, it was a multi-layered monster of interconnected stories, some of which were more important than others. George Lucas and Lucasfilm did not originally set any standards when it came to canon, so by the early 1990s that job had been taken on by the publishing division, Lucas Licensing.
      Unlike the equal status of the current canon, the Expanded Universe has several levels:
      G-canon (standing for George or Gospel, depending on who you ask) included the movies themselves, and any statements or explanation from George Lucas himself. Anything that contradicted the movies was definitely not canon. T-canon was created for The Clone Wars television series, and would have included other television projects, had they materialised. C-canon, or Continuity canon, formed the bulk of the Expanded Universe. Novels, comics, games, cartoons, and television movies usually fell into this category. S-canon is secondary canon, and was usually older material that predated efforts to ensure continuity. It was mainly used for reference where it wasn't contradicted by something higher up the list. Many older stories were promoted to C-canon. D-canon was used for material from the Star Wars Detours animated series. N-canon was not considered canon, such as the Infinities stories.  
      It's worth noting that George Lucas never considered the Expanded Universe to be part of his vision for Star Wars, and described the movies and the EU as being two separate worlds.
      So there you have it, you are now fully armed to explore the Star Wars universe and know whether you are reading official canon or not!
    • Who Should Be Next?

Well, with the news that Thrawn would be rejoining the Star Wars canon, I thought it might be fun for us to banter over who should be next from the EU/Legends to gain entrance into Star Wars canon, whether in film form or TV show form or other media form.

I think you guys obviously know who I want. (But I find that one doubtful... depending on what and when we find out more about Luke's backstory post-ROTJ and pre-TFA).
      But what are some others?

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.