Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Mara

Obituaries

Chickenman

Oh no. :(

Mara

So sad. :(

TheUnknown

I was shocked to see that. I didn't realize he was that old. He was awesome in Cat on a Hot Tin Roof and in Butch Cassidy and the Sundance Kid. And he was a very charitable person. The world lost a good one. :(

Bad furday

*snifcry* 'tis sad! :( He was one of those people you sort of expected to live forever ;)

Mara

Yeah, I was shocked to see it, too. On the bottom of ESPN, no less.

Sad day. :(

Ayingel

must be those damn cancer sticks hollywoodland was so obsessed with.

Chickenman

I'm totally anti-tobacco and everything, but man, cigarettes were the greatest prop ever during the 40s.

Radioactive Isotope

as much as i find smoking a very disgusting habit, the cancer sticks will keep me employed in the future. have to say i'm torn.

Andy

the cancer sticks will keep me employed in the future.

You evil person. ;) :p

Drake

I would think it to be a no-brainer. If I were in the medical field employed to help people with lung cancer or whatever, I would pray every day for an end to cigarettes and a cure for cancer. It's looking an aweful lot like you're almost hoping that never happens just so that you can keep getting paid.

I don't normally get this far into people's faces for stuff like this but that just seems like uncaring, heartless greed and it's kinda distasteful to me, especially cinsidering your faith upbringing.

Radioactive Isotope

relax, D, i didn't mean it like that. it does bother me to see people smoke, especially young people and healthcare workers who in this day and age should know better than to start. it's a smelly, deadly, and disgusting habit, and i wish people would get a clue and quit. i watched my grandfather waste away from lung cancer caused by cigarettes and i see the effects of chemo and radiation therapy on people every day. it's a nasty way to go, and i hate the suffering it causes. and the worst part is, it's largely preventable.

i've had patients come in and it took every ounce of self control not to break down and cry because i know they're not going to get better. the kids are especially tough. i scanned a four-year-old for a possible recurrent brain tumor who had already had a surgery at two to remove the initial tumor. it was one of the worst experiences i've had in this field, and i wished i could have been on that table instead of her. i think the worst, though was a two-year-old we did a bone scan on for "non accidental trauma" and it was clear whatever happened caused brain damage. CPS had taken immediate emergency custody of the little girl, and the only person allowed to see her was a social worker. we scanned her several times, and i never saw anyone come sit with her. not even a nurse. and we had to check on her every few minutes to make sure she was still breathing. i thought of plenty of inhumane and torturous things to do to whomever had laid a hand on that little girl.

it's not being heartless and greedy, it's a coping mechanism. yeah, it's mean. you should hear some of the doctors and nurses who have been around awhile. heck, i've heard my dad say things that make my comment look tamer than a fuzzball. he works the Surgical ICU floor at a hospital that seems to be a magnet for nutjobs. his first day of work, some guy crashed his motorcycle and came up to the floor in pieces. literally in pieces. know what he now calls motorcyclists who don't wear helmets and weave in and out of traffic? organ donors. quite frankly, you don't know jack about what it's like to work around that kind of suffering, and until you do, you have no right to judge my character. i love the field and the way we can influence treatment options, but i do what i have to so i don't shatter emotionally.

Edited by Radioactive Isotope

Chickenman

It's the same thing with like crime scene investigators and soldiers and such. Humor is an excellent coping mechanism in the face of unspeakable tragedy.

However JM, it's hard to tell if you were joking or not the way you said it. *shrug*

Radioactive Isotope

yeah, i know. the ;) and the :p didn't really seem to convey the tone i wanted either. still, i was hoping you guys didn't think i was that heartless. ;)

Chickenman

Well, you are pretty damned Heartless. :p

Radioactive Isotope

only to the masses. ;)

Bad furday

And her hubby. :p

Andy

only to the masses. ;)

The smoking masses! ;)

Andy

I know! I was actually in shock, I can't believe he's gone...

My hands were literally shaking as I typed the announcement to JPLegacy's news system... :(

Mara

Yeah. I feel like a piece of me died inside. :(

I really hope that they still publish his latest novel. It won't replace all the ones he could have written in another 20 years, but it'll be something.

TheUnknown

Here's something dear to many college students:

The Senate who created the Pell Grants died.

Uncle Du

This is messed up. She falls on the bunny slope and dies, yet hundreds of idiots everyday break the law, get in wrecks, do stupid s***, yet they survive.

RIP.

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.