Chickenman 9 Posted September 9, 2008 Palin's been keeping her religious convictions on the down-low. http://www.cnn.com/2008/POLITICS/09/08/pal...stor/index.html Some Pentecostals from Assembly of God also believe in "faith healing" and the "end times" -- a violent upheaval that they believe will deliver Jesus Christ's second coming. I think it'll be a good thing to have a leader who wants the Apocalypse to happen soon, especially while we have troops stationed in the Middle East. Palin now attends the Wasilla Bible Church. She was there on August 17, just days before entering the national spotlight. David Brickner, the founder of Jews for Jesus, was a speaker. He told congregants that terrorist attacks on Israel were God's "judgment" of Jews who haven't embraced Christianity. Brickner said, "Judgment is very real and we see it played out on the pages of the newspapers and on the television. When a Palestinian from East Jerusalem took a bulldozer and went plowing through a score of cars, killing numbers of people. Judgment -- you can't miss it." So she keeps good company. And yes, Obama had the same problem with crazy pastors, but I think anytime you add Jews for Jesus into your argument, you automatically lose the argument. Her campaign says she doesn't mix her faith with government business. But Palin did ask her audience to pray for a $30 billion natural gas pipeline she is on a mission to build in Alaska. That's...a really good example of mixing faith with government business. Pastor Ed Kalnin, the senior pastor of Palin's former Pentecostal church, has also come under fire for his comments. In 2004, he told church members if they voted for John Kerry for president, they wouldn't get into heaven. He told them, "I question your salvation." The Assembly of God issued a statement online in response, which said Kalnin was "joking" when he suggested "Kerry supporters would go to hell." The statement went on to say: "We do acknowledge in hindsight that it was careless, and we do apologize for that. This statement is not written as a defense, but as a clarification." That is such a funny joke! OMG I mean, there's not much of a set-up or anything, and he really doesn't say anything particularly humorous, but whatever. I've got another one: Why did the nonbeliever cross the road? To go to hell! I do like how they basically said "Yeah, we probably shouldn't have said that. But we meant it and stand by it. Suck it, b****es!" Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Radioactive Isotope 29 Posted September 9, 2008 so, stand up for your beliefs--particularly unpopular ones--and be labled as crazy, racist, homophobic, intolerant, ect. or appologize when said beliefs offend someone, and look like a wimpy flip-flopper. can't win either way, can ya? :p Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Drake 53 Posted September 9, 2008 I'm a Christian who believes in "faith healing" and the "end times." 1) I've seen people healed from prayer. One of my former pastors went to a boy in a hospital who had tried to commit suicide. The boy died. The pastor and family went in and prayed over him. No medical assistance. Several minutes went by and the boy came back to life. A young boy in my chruch was born deaf, blind, mute and later developed a skin condition. He was adopted by one of the families at church. Everyone prayed for him. Now he's completely healed. Gee, those sure sound like awefully big coincidences. 2) Just because I believe in the end of days, it doesn't mean I'm eager for it to happen. That statement was a gross generalization as I'm sure most of the article is. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Chickenman 9 Posted September 9, 2008 (edited) so, stand up for your beliefs--particularly unpopular ones--and be labled as crazy, racist, homophobic, intolerant, ect. or appologize when said beliefs offend someone, and look like a wimpy flip-flopper. can't win either way, can ya? Well, if said beliefs are racist, homophobic, intolerant, etc, then yes, you should apologize. Being a flip flopper is different than making an intelligent decision to change your mind. I'm a Christian who believes in "faith healing" and the "end times." 1) I've seen people healed from prayer. One of my former pastors went to a boy in a hospital who had tried to commit suicide. The boy died. The pastor and family went in and prayed over him. No medical assistance. Several minutes went by and the boy came back to life. A young boy in my chruch was born deaf, blind, mute and later developed a skin condition. He was adopted by one of the families at church. Everyone prayed for him. Now he's completely healed. Gee, those sure sound like awefully big coincidences. 2) Just because I believe in the end of days, it doesn't mean I'm eager for it to happen. That statement was a gross generalization as I'm sure most of the article is. I have no problem with belief in either. It's the extremesicles that I have a problem with. Edited September 9, 2008 by Chickenman Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Chickenman 9 Posted September 9, 2008 Well, as this thread's gotten awkward: http://politicalticker.blogs.cnn.com/2008/...-nowhere-claim/ Bridge to Nowhere? More like "Fridge to Fauxware." Am I right? :nerves: Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Bad furday 57 Posted September 9, 2008 The best comment from the article is "Change- in her pocket- you can believe in" Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Chickenman 9 Posted September 9, 2008 I saw that and lol'ed. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Drake 53 Posted September 9, 2008 Palin should be running for president with all the spotlight she's taking up. McCain just sort of crawled into a hole and died. Holy crap, maybe he really did. He's, like, 100 afterall. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Chickenman 9 Posted September 10, 2008 So I'm sure most of you have seen this "controversy." The actual context: So...McCain just called his running mate a pig to make Obama look like a sexist. Classy. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Andy 60 Posted September 11, 2008 I find it quite ironic that the campaign ad for McCain has that "Ready to smear" bit at the end about Obama. lol Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Ana 15 Posted September 11, 2008 GOP plans to keep people who have been foreclosed from voting in Michigan More class. Just, charming, really. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Chickenman 9 Posted September 11, 2008 (edited) The Republicans trying to keep African Americans from voting? I'm skeptical. :roll: Edited September 11, 2008 by Chickenman Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted September 11, 2008 Amazing, see, Michigan's got one of the worst economies in the country right now. They should be trying to win us over not trying to stop us from voting. Oh yeah, I'm REALLY sick of living in a swing state already. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
TheUnknown 39 Posted September 11, 2008 I posted this on Facebook, but I think it shows where the candidates' priorities are. Notice who gets the most relief. Notice also that Obama offsets the loss of revenue for lower income families with increases on the top 1%. McCain doesn't. Where is McCain going to get that money from? By cutting education? By cutting healthcare? By cutting infrastructure? Maybe by allowing the Chinese to buy more American debt to be paid by future generations? http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/conte...8060900950.html Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted September 11, 2008 Anyone else find it funny that McCain used the same "Pig wearing lipstick" comment 4 months ago? Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Chickenman 9 Posted September 11, 2008 In reference to a Clinton policy too. He's not sexist though, because there's no pretty commercial about it. Amazing, see, Michigan's got one of the worst economies in the country right now. They should be trying to win us over not trying to stop us from voting. Oh yeah, I'm REALLY sick of living in a swing state already. Haha, Rhode Island votes Democrat with a higher percentage, than I think any other state. (Although our Governor, a Republican, is the President Bush of state government.) So we've kind of got our own little bubble of sanity. Occasionally a lone voice rises up, but he's quickly pelted with change and forced back in line. :p Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
TheUnknown 39 Posted September 11, 2008 (edited) I would love for my state to be a swing state. :puppydogeyes: Edited September 11, 2008 by TheUnknown Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Princess 35 Posted September 11, 2008 Come on up to Michigan for a weekend then Unknown. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Mara 29 Posted September 11, 2008 I hate being a purple state. Bleah. Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
TheUnknown 39 Posted September 11, 2008 Then make Michigan solidly blue. :p Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Radioactive Isotope 29 Posted September 11, 2008 but red is so much prettier. *go Cards!* Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Bad furday 57 Posted September 11, 2008 Red belongs on racecars and bikinis. Not states :p Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Chickenman 9 Posted September 11, 2008 (edited) Clothes should be on states, not girls wearing bikinis. ...I think. Odd phrasing there. :???: Edited September 11, 2008 by Chickenman Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
TheUnknown 39 Posted September 12, 2008 Funniest celebrity in Washington Favorite line: "Mitt [Romney] has more positions than an underage Chinese gymnast." Ouch. I love it. You could easily say "John McCain has more positions than an underage Chinese gymnast." Share this post Link to post Share on other sites
Mara 29 Posted September 12, 2008 (edited) Then make Michigan solidly blue. Come here and try. Anyway... anyone catch Craig Ferguson Weds. night? I rather liked his comments. Maybe I'll check YouTube for it. Edited September 12, 2008 by Mara Share this post Link to post Share on other sites