Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

Flag Burning Amendment

Tsl

Actually, I dunno about everybody else, but I just badmouth the gov't because it makes me feel better. It's called venting frustrations. I harbor no illusions that my calling George W. an idiot on a public forum will change anything, lol.

He is an idiot, btw! :p ;)

GI_Admiral

I don't choose to ignore anything.  I was trying to figure out why someone would vote an idiot into office, then want to burn a flag to protest that persons decisions.  I didn't say, "GI is the one that voted for this idiot."  I was quoting someone else.  So if you want to run around burning flags because you think the President's an idiot, go right ahead.  [sarcastic]It's just a flag.[/sarcastic]  You know, if people still think this way, then America is even more far gone that anyone could hope.  It's not just a ewokin flag.  I would be really curious to know what your idea of a symbol of freedom is.  McDonalds?  That's a pretty American thing.  Baseball?  Yeehaw, a bunch of overpaid babies.

Do you have any idea how much time the Continental Congress spent on determining the design of the flag?  Probably not.  Have they been raising the Golden Arches over the battlements for the past 200 years?  Er, not the last time I checked.  So the next time you want to defend the burning of our flag, think of all the people who have died to raise that flag, and keep us free.  I'm sure they would be real happy to see their fellow Americans treating the freedom they have with such disrespect.

And the government is going to continue to do what it's been doing.  The one thing you need to remember is, while a person may be smart, people are dumb, panicky animals.  I wouldn't trust most of the idiots around here to make decisions for this country.  Everyone has there opinions about the way things should be run, and I'm sure it makes some people feel really good to think that their bad mouthing the government and the way it's run will actually have an affect.  If you want to change the way things are, it takes a lot more than words against the people you dislike in the government.  You need to get off your ass and go do something about it.  But, Americans are also lazy, and the work that you would have to do to be in a postion to do something would be hard.  Most people lack the drive to take something like that all the way, which is why sith won't change.

Alright. Let's take a look. What is a flag? Literally, it is a piece of cloth with a design, usually used to differntiate different groups/countries/etc. Symbolically it can mean whatever you want it to mean. Freedom? Sure. Death? Sure. Bravery? Sure. Cowardness? Sure. You want to know WHY it is seen as all of these things symbolically? People associate the flag to the country. The flag to the group. Heres an examples. The Nazi flag. You have a good view in my sig. If you cant see it let me describe it. Red background, with a white circle in the middle, with a tilted swatstika. A powerful symbol. It was meant as good luck, Drake has a whole article about it that he linked us to a while ago, in some other thread. Yet, now since it is tilted it is now seen as a symbol of opression, massacre, terrors of war and so on. How about the Statue of liberty? How about the Freedom Bell? Hell how about me? Anything if people associate them/it to freedom. Just happens that the US flag is the most common thing people associate with America. And hey guess what? America isn't free, nor is it freedom. How can something be an ideal? It just so happens, America is also a symbol. People associate America with Freedom. So there ya go. Some guy may not associate the US flag with Freedom. So to him its just an object. You cant pass a law saying, you cant burn this object because to some it may represent freedom and the soldiers who die.

Hehe, do YOU have any idea? Probably not. So they raise their flag up. Isn't that what countries do when they want to distinguish themselves? Like I said, flags are used to represent a country. And I think you're mistaken :) Revolutionary war, I see the Golden Arches in Boston. Hell, war of 1812 I see McDonalds in Canada! WW1 and 2, yup see them in Germany, Italy, Spain, Britain. Korean war, yup. Dunno about Vietnam, but we lost that. Dunno about Iraq either, though I'm sure tey're there. So I think you should recheck your figrues. Where US has been in a war, Im pretty sure theres the Golden Arches there. Lasts longer than the flag dont ya think? I mean, I hardly saw any US flags in Spain. I'm sure they'd be happy to. I saw this political cartoon. It was an old man in a veterans uniform and a middle age man sitting on a bench in arlington cemetary. Next to them were two young boys running around, probably having fun. The middle aged man is saying something to the likes of "Sorry Pops, they just don't have any idea about the pain, suffering, and terror you went through." And the old man replies, "That's the idea, isn't it?" I am by no means unpatriotic. I'm not saying, "I hate this country! I hope it gets destroyed by terrorists!" and what not. I'm not spitting on freedom. I'm just pointing out, that people might not view the US flag as a symbol of freedom just because you and the majority of people do. And BTW, the reason for saying the cartoon was, yeah, I think some WOULD be happy, because they know I had the chance to say such things about freedom instead of being dead. But I guess you really wouldn't know too much about that. :)

I agree with you. People won't do anything. But what I find odd here is this.

"I'm sure they would be real happy to see their fellow Americans treating the freedom they have with such disrespect." and yet you're complaining about people who criticize the government? Though I agree with the end. Things won't change. It's just fun to criticize. :p

Hmm...only 3 emoticons in the whole post...must add more to make myself less serious...:..P argh!!

*Goes and angsts in a corner* :p

Tsl

I'm pretty sure there is a Mcdonalds in Vietnam...think I remember hearing about that somewhere, lol. You always hear, when some country is really mad at the US, about the people vandalizing the local McDonalds. Remember when that jet crash landed in China? Oh man...those McDonaldses got pwned big time!

So in that sense, I suppose the evil gold arches (haha, my fellow KOLers) are a prominent symbol of the good ol' US of A. :p

Lord of the Flies sized fries, anyone? :lol:

Edited by Tsl

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.