Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Radioactive Isotope

The Anime Thread

Tsl

Oy, FMA was a beautifully written story! Would have been good even as not an anime, which is hard to say for most I've seen. The ending though! So....unsatisfying! Must.....wait.....for......dubbed.....movie....!! I'm rewatching it in Japanese now. I definitely don't see the Elric's as being dense, only young and naive.

I saw part of Trigun and didn't care for it too much. I'm going to give it another try though, as my brother insists I didn't give it enough of a chance. I think I shall watch the English version this time.

Kenshin, is pretty good. I'm into the episodes that are supposed to be crap, but they're not so bad. They're cute and funny kind of like the episodes before the unified plot ones. The OVAs are awesome though. Can't wait to watch the first two again now that I've seen the series and then watch the final two. I've discovered by watching both in Engish and Japanese....that, believe it or not....the English voice actor for Kenshin is way better! Omgwtfbbq! That's not supposed to happen! lol

Anyways, I guess the point of that, was don't judge Kenshin until you've seen teh OVAs!

Tsl

Full Metal Panic is pretty good so far. I'm about halfway through.

Tsl

Hey, JM, I finally watched Wolf's Rain. I'd heard alot of people say it was awful, but I really liked it. It was pretty well written with a cool premise, neat art, awesome music... And a rediculously depressing ending! What more could one ask for.

I'm the only one who posts in this thread, but it's okay, because it's been a few months, right? Didn't know where else to put this anyhow.

Let's see, so far I've seen Full Metal Alchemist, Rurouni Kenshin series, movie and OVAs, Trigun, Ghost in the Shell movie and SAC, Elfen Lied, Cowboy Bebop, Samurai Champloo, Princess Mononoke, Fullmetal Panic, and Fumoffu. Plus Wolf's Rain, of course. I have a feeling I'm leaving something out.... Oh well.

Oh, and I watched the first episode of Samurai Deeper Kyo.... So far it's proven to be pretty dumb with the exception of a couple decently funny one liners. I'm going to watch some more and give it a good fair shot though.

Radioactive Isotope

my brother likes Samurai Deeper Kyo, but i haven't read/seen it. i really wanted to get Elfen Lied, but too much blood and sex to be allowed in my house, lol. but ah, Wolf's Rain...'tis a shame the ending's so depressing, but you can kinda tell it's gonna be one of those animes where everyone dies in the end. i'm still naming my dog Kiba, though. :p

Tsl

Haha, I thought about naming my dog (that I haven't got yet) Toboe or Tsume, lol. Dunno if that would be fitting for a beagle though ;)

Or possibly Ein from Cowboy Bepop! Would be definite if I was getting a Corgi, but I'm set on a beagle.

Oh yeah, and we've decided to watch Samurai Deeper Kyo in Japanese, which has improved it 100 fold. The English voice actors just plain sucked and they ewoked around with the script too... The music is still pathetic though... I've only seen 3 eps now. Gotta say, it has some potential.

Edited by The Tsl

Radioactive Isotope

lol, maybe Toboe is appropriate for a beagle :p

Tsl

yeah, lol

What sort of dog where you going to name Kiba? Are you getting one, or just thinking about it for future reference?

Radioactive Isotope

when i move out and get my own place, i want a German Shepherd

Tsl

Ah, perfect!

I'd love to have a german shepard, but I don't have the room or experience enough to handle one :(

Radioactive Isotope

my grandparents had one when we were living with them and she was the most awesome dog ever. only problem with shepherds is they get bad hip problems as they get old.

Tsl

They need firm handling too, or they'll have dominance issues. Since I've never had a dog, I'm afraid a shepard would end up training me, lol

Radioactive Isotope

lol. you've just got to put the time in and work with it.

Strike

Samurai 7 is another really good one.

Akira Kurosawa FTW

Tsl

Naruto has definitely become one of my favorites. I'm only about 90 episodes in.

Radioactive Isotope

my new favorite anime: Ouran High School Host Club. i've never laughed so hard in my life. YouTube = awesome!

Tsl

Have you seen Full Metal Panic: Fumaffu or Zero no Tsukaima?

They are both the most flippin' hilarious things I've ever seen. Though I haven't seen Ouran High School Host Club yet.

Radioactive Isotope

no, i haven't seen those yet.

Ana

Prince of Tennis, anyone?

Jake Durron

I like the mangas, but my dad finally forced me to watch naruto... I will not...get....hoooked.....darnation!

Radioactive Isotope

just embrace the addiction, Kia. it is useless to resist. :p

Drake

RESIST KIA! YOU CAN DO IT! I DID!

Tsl

The awesome thing about anime is that you get fantasy/sci-fi stories that if they tried to do live action would end up being laughably terrible do to limitations in special effects. But in the West, cartoons are for kids unless it's a comedic thing like Family Guy. We Westerners are so weird, lol. So anyways, you get great stories of the genre that I enjoy anyways made on a level not for kiddies....with blood and violence and a little pervertedness from time to time :p

It's true that it can take a little getting used to that stylized kind of animation... Oh and for god's sakes don't watch anything dubbed... In the West, voice actors are not respected and therefore they are rather talentless, but in Japan they are just as well respected as screen actors, and are really quite good for the most part.

If you are new to anime, I'd maybe suggest Fullmetal Alchemist, which is a little easier to get your head around if you're not used to the animation style. Bleach would probably also be a good one. And hell, even my parents got laughs out of Full Metal Panic! Fumoffu. lol

Radioactive Isotope

actually, i find some animes easier to understand if i watch the dubbed version first and then the Japanese. it's tough to read subtitles and follow the action if there's a lot going on. Spirited Away is way better in Japanese, but Mark Hamill is in Nausicaa and Castle in the Sky, so i feel abit obligated to watch them in English, lol.

Tsl

lol, sounds like an excellent reason to avoid the English dubs to me :p

Actually, I did that at first too. I saw several dubs until I got to Samurai Deeper Kyo. The voice acting was so awful, and plus they changed dialogue around a lot too. I decided to give it a second chance by watching a sub instead, and it became one of my favorites. From that point on, I've been sticking with subs only and I've gone back and re watched most of the animes I originally saw dubbed. It's amazing the difference. Anime's I enjoyed immensely as dubs were absolutely phenomenal as subs. I still need to go back and re watch a few... It's also nice to watch the Japanese so you can see new releases without having to wait a year plus for them to be picked up by a western studio and dubbed. If you watch the first part of an anime in English and then switch to Japanese for the newer releases you get all thrown off because the voices and sometimes other things change on you.

Rogue

Subbed not Dubbed!

For one, Dubbed is usually years behind subbed. The voice acting is better, and after a w'hile, you forget that they're not speaking in English. It all just kind of translates--voices, inflection, and all that. Once you go subs, you never go back.

And if you're just starting, i recommend Bleach. I also like Weiss Kruez and Gundam Wing (my first animes)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.