Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Princess

Where Do You Belong?

Drake

Bomb Norway! Bomb them and their damned superior health care system!

chozen

We've got the lions and tigers, only in kenya.. we got lions and the tigers in kenya forget norway.

Radioactive Isotope

Lincoln was a smart guy. he didn't free the slaves until near the end of the war. that way, he made sure he had the support of those slave states still in the Union. and i don't remember the list of reasons the Civil War was fought over since US History was last year and we spent more time post 1900.

and yes, when the Constitution was written, it was racist/sexist, but such were the times. shoving the concept of total racial/gender equality on 18th centruy America would probably have not been a smart move. all things come in time, and they did leave room for the Constitution to change. although, i think they're all rolling in their graves with some things that go on in government these days.

Tsl

The Civil War was all about State's rights vs. Fed's rights. The South believed that the State's should have supreme power whereas the North tended to believe in the system we've got now. That's why they broke off to form a Confederacy...

There were also some tariffs in place which unfairly hurt the South. (I forget the exact idea on how that worked...something about cotton, I think)

Slavery was only a tiny part of the war...despite what everyone learned in school.

And the famous Emancipation Proclomation didn't really free all the slaves anyways. It only declared those slaves who had already escaped into the North as free people, whereas before escaped slaves could be rounded up and shipped back into the south. The real freeing of all slaves didn't come until later. Another bit of inaccurate history taught in schools.

GI_Admiral

Basically yeah all of that is true

Radioactive Isotope

yay! thanks for the refresher, Tsl.

Ender

Very true, Tsl. In 1864, I believe, when the Union had pushed farther south, a young Confederate soldier was captured by the Union. The soldier was wearing a ragged uniform, and he was barefoot. He obviously owned no slaves. When the Union soldiers asked him why he was fighting, he replied, "Because you're down here."

In fact, there was a small number of black soldiers who fought for the Confederacy.

Also, when the South surrendered at Appomattox, the Union general who received the surrender, Joshua Chamberlain, ordered his troops to salute the beaten Confederates. The Confederate general, whose name I dont recall, reared his horse back on its hind legs, and dropped low, bowing to Chamberlain. Afterwards, General Grant ordered his troops to give half of their food rations to the Southern troops.

Radioactive Isotope

America has had a history of helping those it's defeated. like rebuilding Germany, Nagasaki, and Hiroshima.

CorSec

And installing their own puppet leader in Iraq! :D ;)

Tsl

America has had a history of helping those it's defeated. like rebuilding Germany, Nagasaki, and Hiroshima.

Lol! That makes dropping a nuclear bomb and burning and pillaging civilians' homes all better :roll: ;)

Ender

Dont even start, Tsl. If we had just straight-up invaded Japan, even more people would be dead. Bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki was the right move. Bombing those cities was the right move, because only that decimated the fanatical warrior-mind of the Japanese enough to get them to surrender.

Sentrosi

on top of that the confederacy wanted to succeed from the union and when the union denied them that... they rose up in arms... taking for sumtner...

as far as the constitution goes... back when it was written it was a dream... a dream that one nation could over come so many things... now they probably weep due to the ever expanding and annoyance that the government has over the states... yes it was loosely written... and amendments were put in... but the idea of it was brilliant... despite racial inequalities back then... however i doubt now that it is any better... than it was... the north continues pushing south... (having lived there a good portion of my life... the differences are phenomenal... however some welcome the advancement while others still feel as the confederacy did so long ago... stay out of my life... this is my state... we will run it just keep the federal money coming in...

i support the idea of the constitution in its true form... its dreamstate as it were... but there will not be a day that we as americans can look at this country and say we are glad that we gave up our freedoms to feel safe... because (sorry bush fans) bush took us to war... at first the prospect was the economy and vengence... now the war rages on... and for what reasons... ive no clue... now we have candidates running for office that make it seem like theres no hope...

but Americans can out live, out last, and effectively throw out any President that doesnt meet the peoples demands... no one will unite... not as a group... not as a collective of leaders... there has to be a figurehead... and although when it was founded this united states of america... we didnt want a king... we dont have one... and look at what has happened to us...

either of the candidates take office and we the people of the United States of America are royally and completely sithed... for the next 4 years...

maybe more if we continue posting on forums and talking amongst others... when we all realize that it is our god given right (for those who dont believe in god please insert a omnipotent figure in place of that name, for those offended by my lower case g... smurf off) to stand up... as one people and take back what is ours... the senators dont here us, the representatives... dont represent... and by all means this is not a democracy... to me its the annoyance of the broken states of america

i am loyal to my country... and i will fight if called upon... but being an american it is also my right to tell my "leaders" what they are doing wrong...

Sentrosi

Dont even start, Tsl. If we had just straight-up invaded Japan, even more people would be dead. Bombing Hiroshima and Nagasaki was the right move. Bombing those cities was the right move, because only that decimated the fanatical warrior-mind of the Japanese enough to get them to surrender.

back then yes i agree... bombing was the right move... what else were we to do... bend over and take it like the rest of the world... no... we cant... and recently... we were forced back into that position... to take a stand or to walk away... and now we cant back down... not because its not the right thing to do... but because we smurfed ourselves into this position... now all we can do is hope that someone talks some sense into someone running for office... otherwise... all we can do is hope... for a better... future for our kids...

Tsl

don't get your balls in a twist....I was just commenting on JM's thingy. My comment had nothing to do with whether or not I think using the bomb was right.

Sentrosi

sorry... i thought your post was funny... i just had to ramble on about something...

thats for the ability to vent...

*correct me if im wrong but after reading that i think i contradicted myself a couple of times*

ok poorly written with no supporting facts... hence rambling... yay... :rofl:

Edited by Sentrosi

Radioactive Isotope

i never said bombing was right. but at least we ended it there and helped rebuild afterwards.

GI_Admiral

Janson holds the popular view about Japan being nuked. All i will say is hindisght has 20/20 vision.

America helps the countries it attacks because they will become allies. They can sugar coat it with talks about peace and harmony, but its for economic and somtimes military reasons. Thats life though.

Mickey

I could see myself living in more an urban area. I'm pretty urban ... like hip-hop style ya know what I mean? I'm pretty gangsta when I need. But that's where I belong .. 916 206 808 216 702 214 334 205 308 601 ... those area just some of the area codes I'd like ot be in, cause ya know that's where I ride my hip-hop Ho-ller-coaster. No need to get all Ho-stile

Andy

Ooh, bunch of random numbers... yay.

Tsl

I hope he's kidding aboot the gansta stuff...

Come to Dayton, Ohio! You'll be eaten alive by the gangstas on 3rd and Main :p

Ender

Haha, no kidding... that's why I only hang around Wright-Patt. ;)

Mara

GR has a ghetto. :p

Tsl

Dayton is a ghetto....the whole city! lol

Yeah...WPAFB r0xx0rs...except the traffic, hehe *goes to stare at the pretty planes* And it's not in Dayton either. It's in Fairborn, but Dayton claims it because they are eval....and big.

Oooh...that reminds me, I haven't been since they did those rennovations to the museum!

Edited by Tsl

Mara

So is most of downtown GR..... but East GR is the uppety town.

Mickey

back in TC I used chill with my peeps in the parking lot of the Ghetto K-Mart on Lake Street ... now that place was rough ... honestly though, never spent much time in that area. A cop got shot on that same block ... we were eating at the Arby's a couple blocks down that night so we saw the ambulances and stuff. But stuff like that goes down in that area all the time. Saw two hooks getting arrested one night, when I was driving all my bro's friends home after his wedding night. They were very wasted, so we pulled over and watched. Then there was the times I saw people doing the "handshake" method of selling drugs right on the street.