Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Princess

Where Do You Belong?

Mickey

I just wanna be somewhere with a freeway. It takes me 20 minutes to get from my bro's house to U of Minnesota campus, which is 15 miles away. It takes me 30-45 minutes to get to Montana State campus from my house which is 11.1 miles away. I think Bozeman, a town of 40,000, has the worst traffic in the world. And for some reason they built the interstate as far away from both Bozeman and Belgrade as possible. So its basically two single lane roads in and out of Bozeman.

Ender

lol... probably true, GI. Put people in Maryland and Connecticut have better than most. ;)

Andy

I just wanna be somewhere with a freeway. It takes me 20 minutes to get from my bro's house to U of Minnesota campus, which is 15 miles away. It takes me 30-45 minutes to get to Montana State campus from my house which is 11.1 miles away. I think Bozeman, a town of 40,000, has the worst traffic in the world. And for some reason they built the interstate as far away from both Bozeman and Belgrade as possible. So its basically two single lane roads in and out of Bozeman.

lol, yeah, the worst part of driving anywhere in my area is getting out of the town.

Mara

Currently, I'm like at the most, ten minute from anything, in my town.

And it's just gonna get worse with the South Belt coming in soon.

Our little town isn't so little anymore.

TheUnknown

Portland, Oregon

Providence, Rhode Island

Hartford, Connecticut

Baltimore, Maryland (Doesn't Janson life in this state? That wouldn't be pretty.)

Eugene, Oregon

New Haven, Connecticut

Corvallis, Oregon

Charleston, West Virginia

Salem, Oregon

Worcestor, Massachusettes

Corvallis, Oregon

Boston, Massachusettes

Medford, Oregon

Sheboygan, Wisconsin (I refuse to live anywhere with a stupid name.)

Danbury, Connecticut

Chambaign-Urbana, Illinois

Little Rock, Arkansas

Milwaukee, Wisconsin

Eau Claire, Wisconsin

Oshkosh-Appleton/Neenah, Wisconsin

Cape Cod, Massachusettes

Gaithersburg, Maryland

Chicago, Illinois

Fayetteville, Arkansas

Wow, I might have to check out Oregon. And lots of Democratic states...

Edited by TheUnknown

Andy

Move to Britain!

Come and see Galactic Basic International Headquarters... AKA my house in Stourport-on-Severn. lol

TheUnknown

I'm making preparations. I've already asked Min what Yorkshire pudding and A-levels were. I can name all the monarchs since Henry VII. The only problem is I hate soccer. :p

Andy

:lol:

That's alright, I hate soccer... GAH! *cuts tongue out, kills self, and walks in in a new clone body* FOOTBALL too. :p

GI_Admiral

Yeah go Oregon....

Radioactive Isotope

move to Kentucky. there the rednecks will.....er.....be really nice to you. *shifty eyes*

TheUnknown

Remember, I live in a state that voted down a good governor solely because he changed the flag to drop out the redneck, racist, traitorous Confederate flag. I know about rednecks.

Mickey

the confederacy formed and went to war becasue they felt the north was controlling them, somewhat like the reason the americans went to war with the brits in the revolutionary war. Slavery was not the main reason behind the civil war. This is an extreme misconception that really bothers me. George washington and many of the founding fathers were slave owners ... does that make the constitution a racist document.

An enormous amount of people died in the civil war from both sides, to remove the confederate flag state flags is a serious injustice. Many southerns fought and died under that flag for things that they held to be true. To remove it is basically spitting on the graves of those unfortunate young men.

Tsl

I agree that the Confederacy had little to do with slavery and that the flag shouldn't really represent the opinion that slavery is a good thing, but let's face it. It has come to mean exactly that in this day and age.

Therefore, I think it just that it was removed from the state flag.

Drake

Slavery was abolished in the late 1800's in the States...nearly 100 years after most of the world.

Tsl

Lol, silly lovie and your random historical facts :p

Mickey

man I love everyone though. Don't blame the south for the mistakes of their ancestors ... they're just trying to remember their heritage ... like tobacco and mooooooooooooooonshiney, and bluegrass. God I want to listen to some bluegrs ass right now

Tsl

*pokes*

You didn't listen. I said I *know* the flag and the Confederacy had nothing to do with slavery and everything to do with State's rights over Fed's rights, but nowadays, the flag does represent slavery in the minds of most people.

Blame that on US history books teaching kids the Civil War was fought over slavery.

I'm sure there are plenty of folks out there waving the Confederate flag to celebrate their heritage, but there are also plenty of folks waving it around to tick off African Americans. I live about 45 minutes north of the Mason-Dixon line. I've seen it firsthand.

TheUnknown

George washington and many of the founding fathers were slave owners ... does that make the constitution a racist document.

Article 1, Section 2, Number 3 implicitly condones slavery and says that slaves are 3/5 of a person. So, yes, the Constitution has written by the framers was racist.

An enormous amount of people died in the civil war from both sides, to remove the confederate flag state flags is a serious injustice.  Many southerns fought and died under that flag for things that they held to be true. 

The mere act of fighting for what they believe in does not make a person honorable. The greater question is what were they fighting for. There have been people who fought and died because they believed they were better than others and should rule them. There are people who fought for Nazism, Facism, etc.

So, let's take a look at what the Confederates were fighting for: the "right" to own other human beings as property, sectionalism, nullification, and secession, the first of which is one of the most immoral things a person could do and the others which would have reduced our country down to a shell of itself.

To remove it is basically spitting on the graves of those unfortunate young men.

To remove the flag is a realization that those soldiers, noble as they may have been off the battlefield, were fighting for what was at its core, an evil cause. And if we are going to honor them, then why not have state flags that honor Benedict Arnold, John Walker Lindh, Alger Hiss, the Rosenburgs, and all of the other traitors throughout American history.

chozen

Move to Britain!

Come and see Galactic Basic International Headquarters... AKA my house in Stourport-on-Severn. lol

you live in Stourport-on-Severn?!?! sounds familiar.. eh..

GI_Admiral

Slavery was not the main reason behind the civil war. 

No, it was a reason though. You can't say the South were in the right and ignore the wrong motives and show only the right motives.

George washington and many of the founding fathers were slave owners ... does that make the constitution a racist document.

In a sense yes. Because the claim that slaves were property. BUT racism is talking about descrimination of a person not property. Therefore it could be argued that they didnt see themselves as racists.

An enormous amount of people died in the civil war from both sides, to remove the confederate flag state flags is a serious injustice. 

Following that logic, since many people died in World War 2, we should now to make up for our injustice, raise up a swastika.

Many southerns fought and died under that flag for things that they held to be true.

Truth is relative. I could say that one thing is the truth, while someone else says the opposite is true. The Nazis thought that they were the supreme race and that the jews were the source of their problems. That was their truth, they fought and died for that. Are you saying that you honor that and that you feel that they are right?

To remove it is basically spitting on the graves of those unfortunate young men.

Removing the Nazi flag spits on the German graves, removing the Saddam statue spits on the Iraqis graves, removing the British flag from America spits on British graves, removing the [insert Any country that has lost land in a war] flag spits on [country]s graves....

Radioactive Isotope

Article 1, Section 2, Number 3 implicitly condones slavery and says that slaves are 3/5 of a person. So, yes, the Constitution has written by the framers was racist.

but we fixed it with the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 20th Amendments. especially the Equal Protection clause in the 14th. the fact that the framers were slave owners aside, they did allow room for the Constitution to change with the times. absolutely genius, IMO.

and i agree there's no way the Civil War was fought over slavery. if it had been, the border states (like KY, for example) would have sided with the South, and the Yanks would never have won.

GI_Admiral

Yeah theres no one sole reason for a war....I mean even our "war" on iraq has a few...oil...revenge...anyways, im not saying Slavery is the main reason, just a reason, dunno what Unknown means so i'll let him tell his position.

chozen

*cough* largest oil producing countries.

1. Saudi Arabia

2. Former Soviet Union

3. USA

4. Iran

5. China

6. Norway

7. Mexico

8. Venezuela

9. UK. (:?)

10. Iraq

20 largest oil producers as of July 1999

note. the difference between Sixth and Tenth is marginal. Not up to date. but. well.. eh

EIA seems to back this up. http://www.eia.doe.gov/emeu/cabs/topworldtables1_2.html

chozen

oil + Iraq = moo.

Edited by chozen

TheUnknown

but we fixed it with the 13th, 14th, 15th, and 20th Amendments. especially the Equal Protection clause in the 14th. the fact that the framers were slave owners aside, they did allow room for the Constitution to change with the times. absolutely genius, IMO.

I said that the Constitution AS WRITTEN BY THE FRAMERS was racist (and sexist). We (or really those before us) have alleviated most of this.

and i agree there's no way the Civil War was fought over slavery.

The what was it fought over?

if it had been, the border states (like KY, for example) would have sided with the South, and the Yanks would never have won.

The Border States, by definition, were states settled between the Confederacy and the Union. So, they knew they would be the first to see fighting. Afterall, the two states (Virginia and Tennessee) with the most fighting were both on the border. The Border States realized that the threat of losing life and property were greater than the threat of losing their slaves.

Edited by TheUnknown