Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

The Pope

Mara

So do I. :p

And I agree with Beeurd. Even though I'm not Catholic, I do know that he's an important guy and such.

Tsl

I heard something about the fact that the Church is growing rapidly in South America and Africa and shrinking in Europe will have something to do with the chosen Pope....though they never said exactly what.

Drake

Yeah, one of the possibles is from Africa.

That would be cool...a black pope. :D

Mara

No, African. :p

Uncle Du

*waits to find out*

Andy

Where is the next pope likely to come from?

The election is genuinely wide open but it is possible to identify some key players.

For 455 years before the election of Pope John Paul all Popes had been Italian. One of the big questions this time round is whether Italy will get the papacy back. Cardinal Dionigi Tettamanzi of Milan is a strong candidate.

But many Vatican watchers are far from convinced they will, for the simple reason that the proportion of Italians in the electoral body has declined in recent years.

Much more likely, they believe, is that the next pope will be from the developing world - and most likely from Latin America, whose cardinals now form a powerful voting bloc. One name that is being talked about is Cardinal Claudio Hummes, Archbishop of Sao Paulo in Brazil.

Nearly half of the world's baptised Catholics live in the Americas, and more live in Brazil than in any other country in the world.

There is a chance that an African pope could emerge from the conclave. Cardinal Francis Arinze is a Nigerian who has long been regarded as a serious contender.

From: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/world/europe/4310789.stm

Edited by beeurd

Radioactive Isotope

President Hinckley said a few words to honor the Pope at the start of Conference this afternoon. the Pope was a great man, and he will be missed. :(

GI_Admiral

:( saw it coming though...

Radioactive Isotope

yup :(

Mara

We all must go sometime.

Tsl

*resists urge to bring up Schiavo and the stark contrast in media spin on the two stories*

TheUnknown

Hmm... Anyone heard anything about who might succeed him?

Wonder where he will be from. There hasn't been a British Pope for a while (about 800 years, I think, lol), but most of Britain is protestant anyway.

I've heard speculation that the next Pope will be Latin American. I've also heard speculation that the next Pope will be pretty old, assuring a short, "transitional" reign.

FWI, the United States has the second largest delegation of Cardinals behind Italy. I hope it's not an American. I totally lost respect for the American cardinals after they essentially gave pedophile priests a rape a child free card and then turned around and started denying pro-choice, pro-gay rights Catholics communion. ewoking hypocrites.

Princess

Good thing that they don't know that I'm all for equal rights for gays then. And a name that I've heard a lot of has been Cardinal Ratinzer from Berlin (I believe) who is said to be much like John Paul II in his conservative take of the Catholic faith especially when it comes to things like women clergy and celibacy

Andy

i heard the next Pope is more likely to be from an African or Latin-American country.

Tsl

They say half the world's Catholics are from Latin and South America. It sounds as though a Latin Pope is more likely, just from the news commentary. Of course....we all know how often they get things right. :roll:

GI_Admiral

I dunno if they'll go that far...probably somewhere in Europe

Andy

Europe isn't very Catholic these days, and Italy doesn't have as much influence as it used to.

Alexander

Europe isn't very Catholic these days, and Italy doesn't have as much influence as it used to.

The Pope doesn't have as much influence as he used to.

Andy

Blair is expected to ask the Queen to disolve Parliament today so that he can call the General Election.

The date being talked about in the news is 5th May, so I don't have long to think about who the hell to vote for! :eek: lol

Alexander

What does that have to do with the Pope?

Andy

Ehh, the thread moved in front of me when I went to post... :p

Alexander

That's what they all say.

Andy

Yes they do. :p

Indie-Girl

i didnt hear it myself but apparently the new pope is german i think ...

Alexander

Can't they ever choose a young Pope?

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.