Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Andy

The Pope

Tsl

I like how they went from calling his trach an elective procedure to an emergency operation.

Now it sounds like he's getting a g-tube too. They're making it sound like he's going to get better again though. Why don't they just come out and be truthful about things?

GI_Admiral

Yes...all you millions of people, your leader, the connection to God is weak and dying. Im sure us Cardinals are gonna need to lock ourselves in a room soon...

lol If you're a leader and you admit that you're sick then you're weak and your country/followers will desert/overthrow/revolt/ or just be upset.

Tsl

Oh yes...I can just see millions of Catholics storming the vacitcan in the greatest coup d'etat in history :roll:

Alexander

That would be awesome.

Andy

hehe

TheUnknown

Umm, CNN has should flashed a message on their website saying that the Pope has just been given last rites. From the story, I'm not sure if they (the church) think he's dying now or if they're doing it in case he doesn't survive his procedue.

Andy

Aurelius just told me that an italian news agency just reported his death, but I haven't seen it anywhere else yet... :(

Princess

The Vatican is denying it, but he did go into cardiac failure last night and septic shock resulting from treatment for a UTI

Alexander

How much must it suck to die on April Fool's Day?

Its God's worst April Fool's Joke.

//Pope dies

//Comes back to life

God: April Fools!

Andy

Or...

Pope: So this is heaven...

God: April Fools!

Pope: You #?%?$

God: Alright, straight to hell for you!

Pope: Nooo!!!

God: HAHA!! April Fools again!

;)

Andy

Incidently, it's 2nd April now where he is, anyway

GI_Admiral

Well atleast we know its not an apirl fools joke...

or that he has bad timing :p

Princess

It's going to be a very sad day for the Catholic faith when the Pope dies because for many Catholics (around my age) John Paul has been the only Pope that we know.. After he is buried, the Cardinals will all meet together and will elect a new Pope, which I believe has to be by a unanimous vote

Andy

yeah. basically the Vatican shuts down because it is structured so that it can't function without a Pope. Also, everyone loses their job when the Pope passes away, and has to be re-enstated by the new Pope.

Princess

Ok, I was wrong.

The pope is elected by the College of Cardinals during a council called to order no sooner than 15 days and no later than 20 days after the death of his predecessor.? ... All cardinals under the age of 80 are eligible to take part in the election.? Election is permitted by a voice vote but the usual manner is the tradition of secret ballot.?

Ballots that fail to produce the necessary two-thirds majority are burned in a small stove inside the counsel chambers, along with straw tthat will make a dark smoke.? The dark smoke announces to the waiting crowds that a new pope has not yet been elected.? When the necessary majority is acquired, the ballots are burned without straw, producing the white smoke that signifies election of the pope.

Edited by beeurd

TheUnknown

From what I understand, the vote only needs to be like two thirds, although I'm sure that any dissent will evaporate quickly once it becomes clear that a new Pope is elected. Also, I seriously doubt that the church would fall apart with John Paul's death. The RCC has been around for more than a millenium. I'm sure they've experience this before.

On a personal note, I have some major disagreements with the Catholic Church (such as fighting contraception but taking a hands-off approach to pedophile priests), but I have lots of respect for the Pope. He's been such a voice for human rights.

GI_Admiral

They lock themselves away and wont come out...tis hardcore!

And yeah...might be the only Pope you've had...but he was a radical pope and heard that he kinda strayed away from the Cardinals original use for him.

Princess

He was radical in some ways and extremely orthodox in others.

Drake

We'll probably see the green smoke within the next couple days.

Mara

*salutes*

Rest in peace, big guy.

Andy

Yeah, I just heard about it. :(

Although I do not agree with a lot of his beliefs, he was certainly a great man, and a credit to humanity.

The next Pope has a lot to do to match him.

Hmm... Anyone heard anything about who might succeed him?

Wonder where he will be from. There hasn't been a British Pope for a while (about 800 years, I think, lol), but most of Britain is protestant anyway.

Mara

I heard that an American guy was very qualified but that they don't want him as Pope because they're afraid of the US controlling the Vatican or something. :p

Drake

I believe it. :p

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.