Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Ayingel

The Inebriation Station

TheUnknown

I'm feeling really discouraged.  I didn't get the promotion because I didn't do well enough in the interview.  This is the second time I've lost/probably lost out on a job because of the interview.

I don't feel qualified most of the time.  My political science degrees aren't that helpful as opposed to something like business.  I'm burned out on politics anyways.  I have no management experience. 

Writing cover letter is a bitch. 

My social anxiety is making the thought of working with the public terrifying. 

My car is falling apart, so my search area is limited. 

Mara

Ugh... I feel you there. I hate cover letters so much. It feels like lying sometimes. :/

It's to the point where I think I'll just have to try for a soul-sucking part-time retail job that has nothing to do with my degree and skills and experience. (Yeah, shouldn't have taken this long to come to this realization, but I suppose I've been too optimistic about finding a job that's a better fit).

It's been three and a half years now without a job, and I really don't want to live with my parents for the rest of my life. And my bank account won't last forever. Watching it slowly go down every month is depressing.

Edited by Mara

TheUnknown

I don't even have the luxury of living with my parents.  My mom is living with me and making my life even more miserable.

Andy

I know the feeling. I recently missed out on an internal job vacancy at work due to me being awful at interviews. I really wanted to move to that department too.

When I was unemployed years ago it was really hard to get back on the horse, so to speak. It is depressing when it feels like you're going nowhere but you have to really sell yourself to be successful, which is especially hard when you have anxiety.

Good luck to you both, I know it's tough it there but I'm sure things will go your way soon. :)

Mara

Had a flat tire the other day. Now I have to get a new tire(s). Decide how much to spend on them. Because my car is only worth about a grand now. And I don't want to get expensive tires, obviously. Plus my fan and/or A/C is out, and hopefully that is a simple fix and not expensive.

Otherwise it'd probably be better to cut my losses and get a new car... but I don't have a job and currently park outside, so I don't want to get a new one (well, an inexpensive used car) just to have it sit outside rusting like my current one does.

Sort of a Catch-22.

Andy

Don't talk to me about tyres lol, I've had all four replaced this year, and now I think I've got a coolant leak somewhere. :(

Mara

Ouch.

So my back ones are still okay, so I just need two new (used) front tires and a new rim for the left front where the flat was, 'cause the original one is bent. But my dad fixed my A/C so yay.

Now to just get my tires and hang on, hope for a job, and get a new car later.

Andy

Oh my AC hasn't worked for years, but thankfully I live in the UK so i only mud it for about three weeks a year. :p

Mara

Well, we've been having quite a few 90-degree days so far. Those days I usually just stay home. But the one, I had to go out... and all I could do was open the windows lol.

Strangely enough the issue with my fan and A/C is related to the ignition switch, according to my dad. And for whatever reason I can only run it/it only works if it's on max power. So I guess I either freeze or sweat lol.

Mara

(Accidentally put this is the welcome thread).

I have news! I got a job. :D I start Monday.

Andy

Woo! Good luck :)

Mara

Well, two weeks in, and it's going well, I think. :)

The commute is just a pain lol.

Andy

Cool, glad it's working out for you. :)

Apparently they changed the employee discounts at work, so I might be able to get a better deal on web hosting by moving it to them. It's currently hosted elsewhere, but I moved the domain registration earlier this year to take advantage of employee benefits. :)

Radioactive Isotope

Awesome!

New jobs must be in the air because I got one too. Finally transferred back to working outpatient instead of the hospital. My stress level is sooooooooo much lower now. No more call, no more weekends, no more holidays.

Andy
7 hours ago, Radioactive Isotope said:

No more call, no more weekends, no more holidays.

Living the dream! :D

As long as that's "I don't work holidays" not "I never get any holidays", that is!

Mara

Thanks!

Now time to focus on getting a new car, lol.

Andy

I've just discovered that FontAwesome have added some Star Wars icons... I may have to make use of these.

So far I can see an Empire, Rebel, and First Order logo in there. Not sure about any others.

Mara

Got a new car!

Will be sad to see Larry go, though. But it's time. We had a good 9+ years.

Andy

Woo, can you buy me one? :p

Mara

Haha no. :p Saving my money for a house now.

But it is weird going to something so new (ish) haha. I feel like I'm driving a spaceship in comparison to my old car.

TheUnknown

So are non-Americans as baffled by our presidential election as we are?

Andy

Yes. :p

Andy

Quick question: does anybody else keep getting signed out or is it just me?

Trying to figure out if there is a problem with the site cookies or if it's just my device.

Mara

I haven't noticed anything... but maybe I'm not logged in long enough for it to happen.

On another note,

Merry Christmas and happy holidays to all!

Andy

Oh it's only when I go offline and then come back later. It used to keep me signed in...

And Merry Christmas to you too! :)

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.