Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Radioactive Isotope

Need GPS Help, Please

Radioactive Isotope

So, JM here desparately needs a GPS system. I've put off buying one for years and now that I'm married, I'm broke. Thank goodness for Nana who always insists on buying us big ticket items for Christmas. I've been poking around the Internet and have narrowed down my choices to these two:

TomTom One XL

Garmin nuvi 205

I like the Garmin for the "Where am I?" feature (I can never remember where I park my car), the number of programmable waypoints, and it has a longer battery life. I like the TomTom because you can get traffic and weather updates, which around town is not that important, but on a long road trip could be handy. Anyone have any experience with either of these or have suggestions for a different system? I'd really appreciate the advice. Thanks!

TheUnknown

I have a GPS but neither of those. I was told by a couple of people that Tom Tom is based in Europe, so it's American maps can be less reliable whereas Garmin and Magellan are American. I've also been told that the traffic coverage is essentially "you're in traffic."

Drake

My dad bought a TomTom after a LOT of extensive research on several different models, including Garmin. However, he said that they were pretty much the same and chose the TomTom because it was more readily available at the time he went to buy.

We actually have the One XL and it works out well for us. We used it when we went on vacation in Florida and it was spot-on for maps. They update regularly.

Uncle Du

I have a Magellan Maestro. These days, any GPS you get is going to be able to be updated. When it comes to having the traffic function on it, I really don't think it makes much of a difference in the end. For long trips, getting stuck in traffic or construction isn't really going to affect the length of the overall trip by much. I know it seems like it, but it doesn't. :p

Pretty much what it comes down to in the end is, do you like the way that the GPS interfaces with you, and how easy is it to use when you're actually driving. That's why it's a good idea to actually go to a store like Best Buy and mess around with them.

TheUnknown

How do you update a Magellan?

Radioactive Isotope

check their website or call up your friendly neighborhood BestBuy.

Tsl

I have a Garmin and my dad has a Magellen. They seem about the same, really. They all get confused and lost occasionally or take the long way around at times. My dad's Magellen has voice recognition, but it really doesn't work well, so I wouldn't bother springing for that feature. Other than that, the main difference between the two is that my Garmin says "turn right on such-n-such drive" when it wants you to turn and my dad's makes an annoying chime noise.

Oh! Make sure you get the kind that says the road names, because otherwise it will just tell you to "turn right in 500 ft" for example, which is confusing if you're in a an urban driving setting with about 5billion roads everywhere.

Drake

Agreed! I know the TomTom does say the road names. It makes it a helluva lot easier to navigate.

Uncle Du

All I have to do to update mine is plug it in to my computer. Some of the map updates I have to pay for though, so I kinda don't really worry about it. It hasn't gotten me lost yet without the newest updates though.

And the Magellan I have says the road names too.

James the Defender

Saying road names is best. I have a Garmin nüvi and it's reliable. However, we had a bug where it turns off the sound when the bluetooth feature is activated.

Andy

I have an old TomTom. It's fairly easy to update via USB cable if you want to change the voice etcetera. I would assume this is still true.

I have John Cleese giving my directions. :D

It doesn't say road names though, but I assume it can't know literally every road name in the world anyway. :p

Never really had much of a problem with it though... Except in Brighton where the local council decided to change the road layout and the satnav decided it wanted us to go the wrong way down a one-way street (I didn't, though, lol).

Edited by Andy

Uncle Du

Word to voice software isn't THAT complicated. ;) :p

James the Defender

John Cleese, eh? That's cool. I wish I had Pierce Brosnan giving me directions, lol

Drake

Andy, the default voices can say all road names or at least attempt to read it phonetically. :p

The ones that you can download that have been voiced by celebrities or soundalikes (like John Cleese or Sean Connery...we had him on ours for a while lol) don't have the street names since they only record the basic phrases.

Andy

I don't remember it ever attempting to pronounce a road name... lol :p

Tsl

I have the default Australian woman on mine. I wanted the Aussie man, but he mumbled and I couldn't hear him very well over the radio :p

Princess

I have that Garmin and named her DG. I talk back to her all the time but she works well

TheUnknown

I want special voices for me GPS. :cry:

Uncle Du

Me too! I dunno if I can do that with mine.

Princess

It's funny, when we went to Ohio last month I learned I have to update my maps because my Uncle's subdivision doesn't exist. Luckily he's right down the road from where he used to live

TheUnknown

Yeah, mine has trouble finding subdivisions sometimes. And recently it could not find its way around Acworth, Georgia, where I was looking at apartments, saying that one complex was in the middle of a lake.

Andy

I guess they have to use street names due to all the junctions created because of your silly grid system over there. ;)

Chickenman

I have a Garmin and its never given me trouble.

And I absolutely loathe the celebrity voices, if only because every open mic I go to has some hack comedian or another doing a bit about how cr-azy(!) it would be if Christopher Walken was giving you directions. Cue a terrible impression.

James the Defender

I guess they have to use street names due to all the junctions created because of your silly grid system over there. ;)

At least I'm not stuck in a round-a-bout for days :p ;)

Andy

At least I'm not stuck in a round-a-bout for days :p;)

I have no idea why you think that would actually happen. :p

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.