Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Chickenman

Science!

Uncle Du

That episode was ewokin awesome!!

Wow, we are geeks.

Oh wait, I knew this already. :D

Edited by Du

Radioactive Isotope

Bill Nye = Chuck Norris of Science!

hehe. see what i did there? :D

Uncle Du

Totally. ;)

Bad furday

*twitch* I love science. :D

Bad furday

I'd love to have an invisibility cloak! ;)

Brumak

I haven't been able to find a site for it yet, but I was talking with a friend a month ago about AI and he stumbled on information on a computer program that is nothing but basic shapes where one shape consumes the others and gains intelligence when it does. Apparently if it keeps going, it has the potential to reach average human intelligence within five years.

I'd love to see the birth of a sophisticated AI that can mimic human behavior, but definitely frightened of the consequences.

Uncle Du

I heard about this and could never really wrap my mind around the fact that a program eating programmed shapes gets smarter. Guess that's why I'm just a human. :p

Brumak

Yeah that still baffles me the more I try to think hard on it lol

Well I still can't yet find what I was originally looking for, but this is pretty interesting for the FPS fans out there.

Edited by Brumak

Uncle Du

See, what they need to come up with is a processor core completely dedicated to AI when it comes to video games. With that much more computing devoted to an AI, they would become infinitely better than human beings. ;)

Like the new sig too, new season June 4th!!

Edited by Du

Chickenman

I haven't been able to find a site for it yet, but I was talking with a friend a month ago about AI and he stumbled on information on a computer program that is nothing but basic shapes where one shape consumes the others and gains intelligence when it does. Apparently if it keeps going, it has the potential to reach average human intelligence within five years.

As long as he's only of average intelligence, we should be fine. It'll just watch reality television and tell us unamusing stories about its cat.

Beyond that, I'm scared.

Uncle Du

So, if it becomes of average intelligence in 5 years, wouldn't it still continue to learn?

Chickenman

Yeah. I'd hazard a guess.

Edited by Chickenman

Uncle Du

And then it would begin learning at an exponential rate...and we'd all be ewoked. :p

Bad furday

*Spock eyebrow* I'd find it fascinating :p ;)

Uncle Du

Till you have a metal fist through your face. :p

Bad furday

As long as it's Cameron's metal fist! :p ;)

Bad furday

This is why I'm nuts. And explains to me why every artist that I know personally, including myself , is considered crazy by others. Also including myself. :p

ie: We were actually talking about how others view artists as crazy , while artists see nothing wrong. Chad ( one of the more normal artists ) was telling us how Marta ( his girlfriend at the time) was like, "Why do you hang out with those people?" Those people were of course us, the Illustration class. Chad was like, "They're in my lllustration classes."

and ie part deux: I realised that I could do almost anything within my Illustration/art classes ( filming the class with a camera comes to mind) and no one would object. Had I done that with the people I hung out with outside of class, they'd be quick to ask why I was filming.

http://io9.com/5316544/has-science-proven-...-crazy#comments

http://www.newscientist.com/article/dn1747...renia-gene.html

Andy

Sometimes I would love to remember little details from years ago. Would be irritating to be unable to switch off though.

Bad furday

Your life might be like a series of movies, B...

The Beeurd Identity

The Beeurd Ultimatum

The Beeurd Supremacy

;) :p

Andy

I like the sound of that... Hmm... lol

Princess

Wow, and I thought I had it bad at times

Chickenman

Your life might be like a series of movies, B...

The Beeurd Identity

The Beeurd Ultimatum

The Beeurd Supremacy

;):p

You're either an idiot or some kind of genius.

I'm going with genius. :p

Radioactive Isotope

New PET scanner may be able to detect smaller tumors

This is pretty neat. Our current scanners can detect 3mm tumors. This new scanner can detect 1mm tumors. It's still in the prototype phase, but when it's ready it will be a tremendous asset to cancer detection.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.