Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
TheUnknown

Luke Skywalker and the Shadows of Mindor

Mara

I knew there was another....

But Unknown wasn't as lazy as me and actually found it. :p

Chickenman

Bought it yesterday. It's a signed copy, but it doesn't appear to be signed by Matthew Stover, lol.

Drake

I started reading it. It's quite good. All the old-school Luke and co. you love mixed with a good amount of Rogue Squadron hijinks.

Edited by Drake

Mara

I'm still waiting for my copy. :(

[Edited first post to add spoiler warning].

Edited by Mara

Radioactive Isotope

getting it from the library today. *squee* ^_^

Mara

I has finished it!

And now the title actually makes sense, haha.

Just a few remarks, I suppose.

And maybe this is because I haven't read any of the comics or perhaps I missed/forgot a previous novel, but are we supposed to know this Blackhole guy from elsewhere? I mean, Luke seemed to, but.. I don't remember him. Nor that Kar Vastor guy.

It was awesome reading about Hobbie and Wes and Wedge and those guys. Great laughs. Now, in the timeline, Wedge isn't so hilarious. Probably because he's older. Plus, we don't see as much of him.

And it was nice to have a novel with Chewie in it. It's been a while. And props to Stover for making up a language for him instead of just saying "Chewie growled." :p

And, Lando, yay.

And Artoo! Yay, he was awesome in this book. I really miss that little droid. The LotF people seemed to mostly forget Artoo, which was sad. Nice to see him with some personality in this book.

And I feel bad, since I just read the first two, and I know Nick was in those Coruscant Night books, but I don't remember that Lorz Geptun guy. Though, it doesn't sound familiar... Ahh, Wookieepedia, my friend, come to me...

It was also kind of touching to get deeper in what Luke's thoughts are, after the end of the Empire and all that, and him growing up and realizing what it really means to be a Jedi and all that. Him questioning his actions and the results of them.

Despite the fun times of this novel, I did think it was a bit... rehashed, I suppose? I mean, the storyline seemed way too familiar. It seems half of the novels have some guy who wants to turn Luke into an emperor or something. And that Blackhole/Cronal guy, he just wasn't that believably evil to me. More just a crazy old man.

But overall, I enjoyed this novel. Great to get back into this time period when these characters hadn't had as much tragedy in their lives.

I'd give it 8.5 stars out of 10. (One more half point just for the redhead remark Luke makes at the end. Made me giggle. Oh, and the Mando comments, hehe).

Oh, and am I the only one who thinks the back cover art, the Shadowspawn guy, looks like Tom Cruise? Maybe?

Drake

Kar Vastor and Nick Rostu were both introduced in Shatterpoint, another Stover novel.

Chickenman

As was Lorz Geptum, I believe.

Blackhole has been referenced a lot in roleplaying game supplements and short stories and the like. He's supposed to have been this Imperial top dog, but he's never been referenced in the books until now. He was kinda dissapointing after all this time, lol.

Fenn Shysa is from the Marvel comics as well.

Still working through the book, but the Rogues were freaking hilarious. :D

Mara

Kar Vastor and Nick Rostu were both introduced in Shatterpoint, another Stover novel.

Ahh. I haven't read that one in a while. It make sense, though.

Radioactive Isotope

Nick Rostu also made an appearence in the first Coruscant Nights book.

Mara

I mentioned that. :p

Radioactive Isotope

i'm reiterating. :p

Chickenman

I'm almost done. Great book.

John Walker

I need several years. My reading list is already long enough:

last three NJO books

Dark Nest triology

start the LotF series

Republic Commando books

And that's just SW books.

I feel ya I'm the same way and I almost have all the books just missing a few here than there. :cool:

Chickenman

Maybe this is just me, but I'm not finding this book as "adventurey" as Stover made it sound. There's a lot of hard science fiction, with the gravitic affects of the Mindor system and all, as well as Stover's usual philosophical musings, this time arguing against Nihilism, which, as a part-time Nihilist, made me cry. :( :p

Mara

Awww, poor Chicken. :p

Chickenman

Then I realized it didn't matter.

Nothing matters...

:p

TheUnknown

I can haz will to read?

Chickenman

It's a great book.

Mara

It's a lot of fun, Unknown. Not really as deep as some of the novels... kind of.

Chickenman

Not as deep as some of his novels. Deeper than most other Star Wars novels.

Princess

Honestly, I was kinda disappointed by this book. It almost felt forced at some points and I didn't get nearly as much as I would have liked of the Rogues. I know it was a Stover book and they're usually deep, but the whole part of

converting Luke and Leia with the meltmassif just felt silly to me. I mean, a crystalline web of nerves in the body is freaky. Not to mention all the references to corny holodramas.

I just wasn't that into it and it disappointed me

Drake

Regardless of whether you all liked it or not, you have to admit it was kind of a nice respite after all the NJO/LotF doom and gloom, in a way.

Chickenman

I liked the references to corny holodramas. It always interests me when Star Wars references the in-universe media. Like in I, Jedi, I was really struck by how Corran and the other students didn't know that Darth Vader was Anakin Skywalker. It's like, we see the whole story, but how does the actual galaxy perceive it?

I apply the same logic to thriller movies and the like. Okay, the secret agent just shot up an office building and got away clean, how does the media report that?

I'm also a nutter, so, you know. :p

Mara

Regardless of whether you all liked it or not, you have to admit it was kind of a nice respite after all the NJO/LotF doom and gloom, in a way.

Yup. Some warm fuzzies before we get into Fate of the Jedi.

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.