Galactic Basic Discord Read more... ×
  • Join in

We would be honored if you would join us...

Sign in to follow this  
Bad furday

Summer Olympics: Beijing 2008 discussion

Mara

Anyone catch the men's beach volleyball match this morning? Man, it was exciting.. but we just barely squeaked by the Japanese, after them getting match point 3 or 4 times.

TheUnknown

Nastia (such a cool name) Liuken and Shawn Johnson go 1-2 in the women's all-around, even with their scores being lowballed.

Princess

I cheered when they made them lower the Chinese girl's score on the balance beam

TheUnknown

Nastia deserved a ten for execution on her vault. Plain and simple.

Princess

I just want to say OMG! Michael Phelps won the 100m butterfly by 1/100th of a second. Time to start wearing my "Because 1/100th of a second counts" t-shirt again

Tsl

I cheered when they made them lower the Chinese girl's score on the balance beam

I hear they may take the Chinese gymnasts' medals away because they are all under the minimum age limit to compete in the Olympics. Or something like that.

Princess

I didn't hear that part, but yay for them! This cheating at the Olympics really has to stop

Andy

I hear they may take the Chinese gymnasts' medals away because they are all under the minimum age limit to compete in the Olympics. Or something like that.

There's a minimum age limit?

Princess

Yup, you have to turn 16 in the year of the olympics, so as long as you turn 16 by Dec 31st, you're good

Ender

Actually, I've pretty much been sitting in front of my computer watching highlights. :p

Drinking scotch. ;)

Single malt?

Andy

Actually, I've pretty much been sitting in front of my computer watching highlights. :p

Drinking scotch. ;)

Single malt?

Better be. :p

Princess

Perhaps that's a gymnastics requirement then

Chickenman

Yup, you have to turn 16 in the year of the olympics, so as long as you turn 16 by Dec 31st, you're good

Should tell that to the 15 year old girl a couple cities over that went.

Drake

Unless that 15 year old is turning 16 this year, as Prin had clearly stated.

Ayingel

i guess the other thing you need to realize about the age thing...those chinese girls may be older due to their culture (something i didn't realize til just now) because their dating system is so different.

Tsl

I think the 16 thing is just for gymnastics. Something about the way the body changes after puberty or something can give an unfair advantage to the younger ones. Mind you I didn't read this myself. I just heard it and I'm too lazy to look it up :p

Edit: I unlazied myself...just a little bit: http://www.nytimes.com/2008/07/27/sports/o...27gymnasts.html

Edited by Tsl

Andy

Something about the way the body changes after puberty or something can give an unfair advantage to the younger ones.

You mean the oldies are sore losers? :p

Tsl

Maybe they should have a separate junior gymnasts' event :p

Radioactive Isotope

but that would be logical. :p

TheUnknown

They do have a youth Olympics. And I'm more pissed about Nastia Liukin tying with the Chinese girl but only getting silver because of some asinine formula.

Andy

w00t, it's official! 2008 is Britain's best performance at the Olympics since 1908! lol

Drake

This sort of momentous event only happens once every one hundred years.

Andy

Since when did you become the Master of the Obvious? :p

Chickenman

It'll happen again in 2108!

*Steals Drake's title*

Sign in to follow this  

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue.